The NFL is headed for no salary cap

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is not that rich comparing to some other NFL owners.
If it comes down to money, LAR and MIA have more and CAR could buy and sell Booger.

And there's a guy in NE with almost as much money and just give his guy no cap. Hell, they'd change the name to NEFL.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Please elaborate on that.
Many players are secretly and openly Dallas Cowboys fans. Also, Dallas has top-notch facilities. Add to that the fact that the Cowboys are the most televised team in the league.
Players want to play for ..
1. their favorite team
2. a team with great facilities
3. a team that gets major exposure
4. a team that will allow them to maximize their earning potential and secure their future

Let's see … who do we have/had as television or radio commentators among the players who have played for the Dallas Cowboys …
Tony Romo
Darryl Johnston
Emmitt Smith
Michael Irvin (who gets third, fourth and fifth chances)
Troy Aikman
Jason Witten
Nate (the Kitchen) Newton (and this after being in prison)
Babe Laufenberg
Charlie Waters
Cliff Harris
Roger Staubach
Preston Pearson
Bob Lily

Add the fact that Jerry Jones is SUPER loyal to his players, and this is why I say the Cowboys would dominate the league if there were no salary cap.

CCBoy

Reaction score
not going to happen
The cap was put in by the owners to keep themselves from having bidding wars. With no cap that qb would go shopping with his 120m offer and maybe get 150-200m. No cap will bring us back to the old days of bigger towns having the better teams. NY, Dallas, SF, Seattle will make Green Bay, KC, AZ, Cinn second rate teams or worse.
With no cap the salaries would actually explode higher from these levels

These contacts are based off a % of the teams salary pool .I agree the amounts are ridiculously high but if u keep putting up with more commercials, high ticket/parking prices, and keep on buying comically priced nfl gear the salary pools will keep going higher. I hate the commercial after the kickoff but if we keep putting up with it they will only get worse -maybe go to a commercial after every play.

Not only that, but players would attempt to manipulate multiple player moves and levels of play, then...not going to be another NBA.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If it comes down to money, LAR and MIA have more and CAR could buy and sell Booger.

And there's a guy in NE with almost as much money and just give his guy no cap. Hell, they'd change the name to NEFL.

Really think that Jerry Jones would be on the 'cheap' side of cash flow? I don't...

lukin2006

Reaction score
I'd rather that teams highest contract and lowest contract do count toward the cap...

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
One would think and they keep doing it with less and less talent

As a fantasy football head, I've done my fair share of research on the Pats and I wouldnt call alot of those guys less talent.

They win with alot of talent. Some of the guys are just less known. But the Patriots have alot of guys I'd start on Dallas in a heart beat.

Rarely do the Pats lean on their lesser talent in a dogfight, playoffs or SB.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I could see them coming up with a no QB cap exclusion..but I doubt it, they're billionaires for a reason.
Then you could have non-QB players demanding to be classified as a QB. What if Zeke wants to be listed as a "running quarterback?"

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
The qbs make more bc cap continues to go up. They’re always based off of a percentage of the cap

ghst187

Reaction score
I would say the pats make stars out of average talent, by NFL standards.
Most of their guys go elsewhere and become meh. NE hasn’t really drafted well in a long time.
I will say they win because they put their players in the ideal scheme and matchups to win consistently. It’s 100% coaching and preparation plus the GOAT QB.
NE hasn’t had a WR other than Gronk they thought was worth resigning in like 20 years. They’ve let nearly every player walk other than Brady and yet keep churning out SBs.
If you could have any players on their team other than Brady or Gronk over ours, who would you take? I think our roster has been superior to theirs outside of QB for most of the last 5 years, yet we have nothing to show for it. I think if you swap BB and Brady with JG and Dak we have a dominant dynasty and they have a 6-10 team, with most of those wins being against annually the worst division in football, bills, jets, phins....

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
O don't think that the fact that small market yes being able to win helps get more viewers at all. I actually think it's the opposite. The game was never more popular than when U had big dogs ruling. I also think viewership of playoffs and superbowl show this to be true. I didn't even see the last two superbowls till later and missed parts of some others. Especially when teams get hosed by referees or GOODELL. what we have is a league of owners motivated by everything but fair play and loyalty.
Check revenues. Never higher. And TV ratings compared to the 90s aren’t even close

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many players are secretly and openly Dallas Cowboys fans. Also, Dallas has top-notch facilities. Add to that the fact that the Cowboys are the most televised team in the league.
Players want to play for ..
1. their favorite team
2. a team with great facilities
3. a team that gets major exposure
4. a team that will allow them to maximize their earning potential and secure their future

Let's see … who do we have/had as television or radio commentators among the players who have played for the Dallas Cowboys …
Tony Romo
Darryl Johnston
Emmitt Smith
Michael Irvin (who gets third, fourth and fifth chances)
Troy Aikman
Jason Witten
Nate (the Kitchen) Newton (and this after being in prison)
Babe Laufenberg
Charlie Waters
Cliff Harris
Roger Staubach
Preston Pearson
Bob Lily

Add the fact that Jerry Jones is SUPER loyal to his players, and this is why I say the Cowboys would dominate the league if there were no salary cap.
When did Staubach and Lilly become TV or radio commentators?

CPanther95

Reaction score
If that happens then it will be the Cowboys Football League..

The NFL - especially the NFC - isn't anything like it was before the salary cap. If the wallet determines success, Jerry will never keep up.

cern

Reaction score
LIQUIDITY. the true measure of wealth.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
With today's QBs making $120 million plus, teams can't afford to surround their stars with talent. These billionaires will have to go back to the old days and outselling your opponent. Lucky for us....our owner is a master.
This will not happen.
The owners are likely to give a couple % to the players but only if the players agree to 18 regular season games which simply makes the pay that much bigger. --I fully expect legal weed and a couple % points plus reducing Goodell's authority in favor of a player tribunal in exchange for an 18 game season and slightly expanded roster to be the final deal.

Sports leagues are rigged games where if you can afford to buy, you win.
NFL is chief among them.
The profit is literally insane.

Owners aren't giving that back, ever.

If they did open it up teams would be sold to Arab sheiks and such and we'd see European "football" style bought leagues with zero parity.
BUT... NFL owners aren't stupid.
The league is making them a killing yearly so they have little to no desire to sell except in very rare occasions and thus wont vote this way as a group.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The NFL - especially the NFC - isn't anything like it was before the salary cap. If the wallet determines success, Jerry will never keep up.
The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the entire world.
They would easily keep up and likely lap people quickly.

Jerry would likely sell if this ever occurred as his chief accomplishment is being the architect of the salary cap which has made so many owners obscenely rich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_sports_teams

The Cowboys are a BILLION dollars more valuable than the next NFL team and 800K more valuable than any other American sports franchise.

CPanther95

Reaction score
The Cowboys are the most valuable sports franchise in the entire world.
They would easily keep up and likely lap people quickly.

Jerry would likely sell if this ever occurred as his chief accomplishment is being the architect of the salary cap which has made so many owners obscenely rich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_sports_teams

The Cowboys are a BILLION dollars more valuable than the next NFL team and 800K more valuable than any other American sports franchise.

Most valuable sports franchise means nothing if you have to sell the team in order to compete signing players. David Tepper's net worth is enough to cover the Top 3 teams on that list.

Kaiser

Reaction score

This post has absolutely no basis in reality. Prior to the salary cap Jerry was hated by other owners for spending too much money on player salaries. He paid guys like Tony Casillas starter salaries to be backups on the Super Bowl teams.

Current Cowboy players practice in a facility that cost a billion dollars, not a Motel 6.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Most valuable sports franchise means nothing if you have to sell the team in order to compete signing players.

Actually it means something because the biggest component in the value of the franchise is the revenue it has coming in. Revenue is what, you know, pays player salaries.