The NFL is headed for no salary cap

Beaker42

Reaction score
I could see them coming up with a no QB cap exclusion..but I doubt it, they're billionaires for a reason.
These players already make obscene money for playing a GAME. I’d hope the NFL folded before that.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Actually it means something because the biggest component in the value of the franchise is the revenue it has coming in. Revenue is what, you know, pays player salaries.

Revenue can also come from, you know, sources other than the sports franchise you own.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
With today's QBs making $120 million plus, teams can't afford to surround their stars with talent. These billionaires will have to go back to the old days and outselling your opponent. Lucky for us....our owner is a master.

I have wondered if the NFL may ever implement a per-position salary cap. A team would have X dollars for linemen, Y dollars for QBs, Z dollars for receivers, etc.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
With today's QBs making $120 million plus, teams can't afford to surround their stars with talent. These billionaires will have to go back to the old days and outselling your opponent. Lucky for us....our owner is a master.

Don't pay QBs 120 million.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
When did Staubach and Lilly become TV or radio commentators?

List of Dallas Cowboys broadcasters

In 1984 and 2001, the Cowboys used guest analysts in the radio booth for each game. In 1984, Dale Hansen, Charlie Waters, Roger Staubach, Cliff Harris, Vern Lundquist, Drew Pearson, Frank Glieber, and Bob Lilly were guest analysts. In 2001, guest analysts included Charlie Waters, Irving Fryar, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Dan Rather, Michael Irvin, Preston Pearson, John Madden, Pat Summerall, and Dale Hansen.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This post has absolutely no basis in reality. Prior to the salary cap Jerry was hated by other owners for spending too much money on player salaries. He paid guys like Tony Casillas starter salaries to be backups on the Super Bowl teams.

Current Cowboy players practice in a facility that cost a billion dollars, not a Motel 6.
The Cowboys did not have the highest salaries in the 90's, why do you think Booger balked with Emmitt Smith? He was in the process of turning a club losing 1M a month into something profitable. With no cap and no CBA, there was no reason for any owner to overpay but the team that was considered the big spender was the Niners and were found exceeding the cap.

This thinking that Booger would dominate the NFL because he would spend more than any other owner is not based in fact. The reams would still have business guidelines they would have to follow in order to reach their financial goals. And they don't buy NFL teams to get rings.

If it came down to money, CAR could have the highest paid player at every position, if we were available, which would also be another factor to consider. Can't sign them it they're already signed.

Flamma

Reaction score
I would say the pats make stars out of average talent, by NFL standards.
Most of their guys go elsewhere and become meh. NE hasn’t really drafted well in a long time.
I will say they win because they put their players in the ideal scheme and matchups to win consistently. It’s 100% coaching and preparation plus the GOAT QB.
NE hasn’t had a WR other than Gronk they thought was worth resigning in like 20 years. They’ve let nearly every player walk other than Brady and yet keep churning out SBs.
If you could have any players on their team other than Brady or Gronk over ours, who would you take? I think our roster has been superior to theirs outside of QB for most of the last 5 years, yet we have nothing to show for it. I think if you swap BB and Brady with JG and Dak we have a dominant dynasty and they have a 6-10 team, with most of those wins being against annually the worst division in football, bills, jets, phins....

Yup. They'll be in the next Super Bowl as well. All of their competition has evaporated and they are a better team this up coming year than they were in the last. Who's going to compete against them in the AFC? Maybe the Browns, Chargers?

CashMan

Reaction score
Meh... the market will fix itself.
I think we are almost there. As more as these offenses are more like the college offenses, and the transition of college QBs can play in the NFL and quicker, this is gonna change. I think we are super close, and you are gonna see it with the Rams letting Goff go and inserting another QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
List of Dallas Cowboys broadcasters

In 1984 and 2001, the Cowboys used guest analysts in the radio booth for each game. In 1984, Dale Hansen, Charlie Waters, Roger Staubach, Cliff Harris, Vern Lundquist, Drew Pearson, Frank Glieber, and Bob Lilly were guest analysts. In 2001, guest analysts included Charlie Waters, Irving Fryar, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Dan Rather, Michael Irvin, Preston Pearson, John Madden, Pat Summerall, and Dale Hansen.

So they were each a guest analyst on the radio broadcast for one game in 1984, and Staubach did one more in 2001. Of course, if anyonev listened to the Cowboy games on the radio they were already hard fans and didn’t need that one game from Staubach or Lilly to convert. Only a few players today were even born in 1984.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Cap ain't going nowhere except up.
Sorry-o my homie-o's!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup. They'll be in the next Super Bowl as well. All of their competition has evaporated and they are a better team this up coming year than they were in the last. Who's going to compete against them in the AFC? Maybe the Browns, Chargers?

I'd watch out for an old for of theirs. That for would be the Colts. As long as Luck doesn't make any big mistakes, I think they can at least hold their own against New England.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Revenue can also come from, you know, sources other than the sports franchise you own.

So you are trying to argue Jerry Jones is a cheapskate who would have "sell the team" to increase salaries because he owns the most valuable franchise in sports AND has outside revenue?

That is completely nonsensical.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Never happen IMO. It can't, the league would fold in the space of 5 years. I'm going to change my statement to just plain never happen.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone correctly foresee and voice opposition to the contractual and monetary restrictions for acquiring roster talent ever since 1993, when the owners and NFLPA collectively bargained the current salary cap/free agency system?

<---This guy did.

PS You are off the hook if you were not born yet. :)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's a good idea. Put a limit on the max salary.
that happens naturally. there is a total cap and market will dictate the max....if they paid a QB 60 mill per year, no money left for anybody else, so at this point no one will pay that (until cap goes up)

dogberry

Reaction score
Would the bottom 80 percent of the roster vote for a $2 million minimum and $8 million maximum for the team?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Never going to happen. It doesn't benefit players or owners. The salary cap is not just a ceiling for players salaries, its also a floor. Pretty sure the NFLPA doesn't want a league where only 6 or 7 teams are spending lots of money. Teams like GB, Pittsburgh, and other small market clubs would become feeder systems for Dallas and the other wealthy clubs. Great for us but it would never get approved.
What's funny is that a lot of people I have heard complain about a salary cap, also complain because they think players are overpaid and the reason they can't afford tickets. Imagine how much tickets would be we with Jerry assembling a dream team...