The NFL should have a soft salary cap with a luxury tax like the NBA

lk8701

Reaction score
The hard cap is insane. If a team drafts a player they should be able to go over the salary cap to re-sign them just like the NBA (Bird Rights). The hard cap should only apply to outside free agents (you can't go over the cap to sign them). A team that drafts well shouldn't be penalized by losing their players. If team is over the salary cap after signing their own players they should simply pay a luxury tax penalty. This should seriously be discussed at the next CBA negotiations.

JBS

Reaction score
The hard cap is insane. If a team drafts a player they should be able to go over the salary cap to re-sign them just like the NBA (Bird Rights). The hard cap should only apply to outside free agents (you can't go over the cap to sign them). A team that drafts well shouldn't be penalized by losing their players. If team is over the salary cap after signing their own players they should simply pay a luxury tax penalty. This should seriously be discussed at the next CBA negotiations.

you want to change the rules so that we get even more irate with this team for being cheap and not spending money?

Jipper

Reaction score
you want to change the rules so that we get even more irate with this team for being cheap and not spending money?

Not necessarily....ask yourself if the team would have kept Cooper if the hypothetical soft cap was in place. I don't think Jerry has ever been stingy in big pay days but has made some bad pay days that have hampered ability to retain talent...which is what I think he's getting at with the suggestion

Reid1boys

Reaction score

they could easily do it, but the owners want a hard cap. No way in hell do they wat the Cowboys to be able to outspend the rest of the league.

lk8701

Reaction score
they could easily do it, but the owners want a hard cap. No way in hell do they wat the Cowboys to be able to outspend the rest of the league.

There would still be a hard cap for outside free agents so it would just give teams more incentive to draft well. Maybe Jerry should just support the NFLPA in instituting this rule. Jerry Jones needs to put in one last ditch effort to win one more Super Bowl since he is aging and at the same time it would be good for his legacy/image (which has taken a hit recently). He will be viewed as the owner who helped players get paid more while also giving them long term stability (players have families and most prefer not to move all the time).

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That would be sweet!!!
Then Jerry could buy us a championship!!!
You know the Cowboys don't mind spending money.
Wait a minute , I got a call coming in from Stephen....

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Agree they could look into revisions, but also think it's a way to keep control of money paid to players. Half of NBA teams lose money every year.

lk8701

Reaction score
Not necessarily....ask yourself if the team would have kept Cooper if the hypothetical soft cap was in place. I don't think Jerry has ever been stingy in big pay days but has made some bad pay days that have hampered ability to retain talent...which is what I think he's getting at with the suggestion

Exactly.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Do you understand how the luxury works?

@CalPolyTechnique how much were the Warriors paying for Kelly Oubre with the tax?

conner01

Reaction score
Some ideas that sound good aren’t in the best interest of everyone. The NFL is a league of 32 team, many of which don’t have the money others do. Parity is good for the league as a whole and you can’t have parity if some teams could just buy a roster
One idea I’ve always liked is one exemption for a player a team drafts. That would blow up the cap system but just protects one players you’ve invested in, developed and don’t want to lose. That would actually help small market teams since it goes to every team
But the cap, as much as fans hate it, is good for the overall health and financial situation of the entire league

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I don’t think JJ is a tight wad (SJ is another story) and I also think the Cowboys are one of the better teams drafting these days. But the majority of the NFL owners place their greed above making the game better.

IMO, Jerry straddles the fence. I believe he would be willing to “buy” a title because I honestly don’t think he and #1 son have a clue how to build a championship roster under current cap rules.

lk8701

Reaction score
Agree they could look into revisions, but also think it's a way to keep control of money paid to players. Half of NBA teams lose money every year.

I don't think that's the case.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193704/revenue-of-national-basketball-association-teams-in-2010/

Example: In 2020 -2021 Pacers made the least revenue at 179 million. Their player salaries were at 129 million. Even with other expenses (for other employees etc) I think they still turned a decent profit. Plus they also receive a share of luxury tax payments from the tax paying teams.

conner01

Reaction score
The owners like the cap so they can spend less.

besides nfl contracts aren’t fully guaranteed and can be restructured easily.
The spend a percentage of revenue that goes up if revenue goes up
The cap doesn’t save the owners money so much as it saves some teams from being priced out of being able to compete

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't think the soft cap has helped the NBA all that much and having no cap at all has made MLB all but unwatchable as big money teams nearly always win it all while the have nots are really just the Washington Generals. I like the hard cap but I would certainly not be opposed to exceptions for great players you drafted. A version of the NBA "Bird Rights" rule.

lk8701

Reaction score
Some ideas that sound good aren’t in the best interest of everyone. The NFL is a league of 32 team, many of which don’t have the money others do. Parity is good for the league as a whole and you can’t have parity if some teams could just buy a roster
One idea I’ve always liked is one exemption for a player a team drafts. That would blow up the cap system but just protects one players you’ve invested in, developed and don’t want to lose. That would actually help small market teams since it goes to every team
But the cap, as much as fans hate it, is good for the overall health and financial situation of the entire league

That's exactly what this thread is about.