CFZ The Offense will determine our season

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Look folks, I want the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl as much as any fan but you are crazy if you think this offense has proven it can come out and consistently execute. It’s not a hopeless situation, but it doesn’t look good for us.

Let’s start with the most important area, the offensive line. We have no idea what is going to happen on the left side. Tyler Smith had no time in preseason at LT. Dude couldn’t even out right win the starting LG position. Speaking of his competition, McGovern proved absolutely nothing last year in his time at LG. We all know what Zack can do, But he can’t carry this offensive line by himself. Steele and Biadasz have proven they can play in the pros, But even they had consistency problems last year, and Zack cannot support everyone. I just hope they can all hang tight until Peters is ready. And I hope that we don’t lose Dak for the year because of this. If we lose any of our tackles to injury it starts to get extremely scary.

At running back, all of the interviews point to the Cowboys trying to play both backs now and open up the offense and be less predictable. Pollard is obviously faster than Zeke, but even the most optimistic have to admit we cannot trust this guy to block the same way and right now that is a huge need. Jerry Jones is on record multiple times saying that Zeke is the man and the offense goes through the run. Even if the coaches truly believe Pollard is the starting back, here we go with the owner/GM problem, we’ll never see what can be. Big Mac is no Parcells, he can’t override the Jerry machine. We have a steady starting tight end, as much as Dalton was dogged in the offseason, that’s about the only thing we can be thankful for right now. The back up rookie had a good showing, but again… he’s an unproven later round Rookie!

Moving on to WR, CeeDee has to prove he can be the man with no one taking the pressure off of him. He struggled playing with Coop in some games, how does he do it with Gallup and Washington out?? He’ll still have his days, but how is Dak going to execute to Lamb 100% of the time with no blocking? And even TO couldn’t help the Eagles win a Super Bowl coming back early from an injury, what makes us think Gallup is going to be a game changer? We have a giant depth chart full of unproven receivers to back him up. Noah Brown is not the answer, how many times did he blow the big catch last year? We have an offensive coordinator who has yet to prove he is the real deal and can adjust to the opponent.

Here is the good news, the Defense IS for real - starters, coaches and depth! This is a constantly rotating group that now gets to play together another season. We have arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. We even have dudes like Bohanna coming out who according to Micah Parsons is going to impress a lot of people. Quinn took note, He has the big man there to stop the run. Special teams, let’s be honest, Greg the Leg was never consistent, how much more of a downgrade is it to Maher? We have a return man who is the fastest guy we’ve seen in a while, and Fassel has done a great job improving our special teams. Both Defense and ST are not the issue, they’re going to help us compete but offense is going to have to execute.

What is the good news? Brady ain’t exactly living in paradise either on his offensive line and their injuries, but unlike Dak, he has proven many years over he can make it work with anyone on that line, all the way to the Super Bowl. And even if our offense stinks the first few games, we have Peters coming who can play any position we need him except center, our two best wideouts after Lamb are on the way. So if our offense makes it happen this early, you can bet this is going to be a damn good year. But if they fail, season is not over and we can still make it happen, but there are going to be some frustrating games this year.

Hoping for a good season. Silver and blue til I die! :yourock:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Number one scoring offense last season I think we improve on that. Do defenses still really win championships.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Number one scoring offense last season I think we improve on that. Do defenses still really win championships.

#1 scoring offense in 2021 with 530 total points scored.....and of that 530 points a total of 240 points (or 45.3% of the season total) came in 6 games against NFC East teams, arguably one of the weakest divisions in football last season.
So in 6 games vs the NFC Least Dallas averaged 40 points/game while against all other teams Dallas averaged 26.4 points/game.....quite an imbalance which is probably why Dallas was 6-0 vs.the NFC Least and 6-5 vs. the rest of the NFL.

That said, Dallas lost WR's Cooper and Wilson as well as RT Collins and LG Williams from last season's team and their only additions were WR Washington (on IR), rookie LT Smith, and LT Peters (after losing LT Smith)....so as it stands I am hard pressed to see a repeat performance of the offense.

PS

I didn't factor into the 530 points scored the 6 defensive TD's (5 INT returns and 1 fumble return), the 1 special teams TD return, or the 29 FG's made.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not a hopeless situation, but it doesn’t look good for us.
tenor.gif

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I don’t see how you get that at all. I explained myself and nothing was based on panic.

Plain and simple - there are a lot of unproven units in our offense that could negatively affect everyone around them.

Defense is almost the same as last year, they’ve all had one year together now in a heavy rotation system. We haven’t had a good kicker in a while but ST overall looks sharp.

If the offense comes out strong again like last year, I feel confident we go back to the Playoffs. I’m practical though, you can’t throw out what we have on the left side or at WR and be surprised if it doesn’t work. So not hopeless, we have a chance to look great on offense, but don’t be shocked if they struggle to move the ball early on this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I actually expect offense to do their jobs and the defense do theirs. I think both units are at the very least top 8 units. You put a team out there who can be productive both offensively and defensively you give yourselves a legit chance to compete for a title.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
#1 scoring offense in 2021 with 530 total points scored.....and of that 530 points a total of 240 points (or 45.3% of the season total) came in 6 games against NFC East teams, arguably one of the weakest divisions in football last season.
So in 6 games vs the NFC Least Dallas averaged 40 points/game while against all other teams Dallas averaged 26.4 points/game.....quite an imbalance which is probably why Dallas was 6-0 vs.the NFC Least and 6-5 vs. the rest of the NFL.

That said, Dallas lost WR's Cooper and Wilson as well as RT Collins and LG Williams from last season's team and their only additions were WR Washington (on IR), rookie LT Smith, and LT Peters (after losing LT Smith)....so as it stands I am hard pressed to see a repeat performance of the offense.

PS

I didn't factor into the 530 points scored the 6 defensive TD's (5 INT returns and 1 fumble return), the 1 special teams TD return, or the 29 FG's made.
Says the man, who don’t believe in statistics. Lol only when it suits you right. I believe this wide receiver core is going to be better. Keep your high priest big-name prima donna‘s. You have to get a name sometime. Watch these rookies shine. Back to Prescott first season. Dink dunk methodical control the clock. Win the game in the fourth quarter. Prescott shut up a lot of people this season

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep, I am not the most confident in o line and receiver groups to include starters and backups.
The Cowboys were extremely healthy for the playoffs last year.
I think another o linemen or receiver injury loss could really make this a tough offense to watch on a weekly basis.

Hopefully they aren't a 3 and out machine on offense that ends up getting the defense tired.

Cheers to good health.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Look folks, I want the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl as much as any fan but you are crazy if you think this offense has proven it can come out and consistently execute. It’s not a hopeless situation, but it doesn’t look good for us.

Let’s start with the most important area, the offensive line. We have no idea what is going to happen on the left side. Tyler Smith had no time in preseason at LT. Dude couldn’t even out right win the starting LG position. Speaking of his competition, McGovern proved absolutely nothing last year in his time at LG. We all know what Zack can do, But he can’t carry this offensive line by himself. Steele and Biadasz have proven they can play in the pros, But even they had consistency problems last year, and Zack cannot support everyone. I just hope they can all hang tight until Peters is ready. And I hope that we don’t lose Dak for the year because of this. If we lose any of our tackles to injury it starts to get extremely scary.

At running back, all of the interviews point to the Cowboys trying to play both backs now and open up the offense and be less predictable. Pollard is obviously faster than Zeke, but even the most optimistic have to admit we cannot trust this guy to block the same way and right now that is a huge need. Jerry Jones is on record multiple times saying that Zeke is the man and the offense goes through the run. Even if the coaches truly believe Pollard is the starting back, here we go with the owner/GM problem, we’ll never see what can be. Big Mac is no Parcells, he can’t override the Jerry machine. We have a steady starting tight end, as much as Dalton was dogged in the offseason, that’s about the only thing we can be thankful for right now. The back up rookie had a good showing, but again… he’s an unproven later round Rookie!

Moving on to WR, CeeDee has to prove he can be the man with no one taking the pressure off of him. He struggled playing with Coop in some games, how does he do it with Gallup and Washington out?? He’ll still have his days, but how is Dak going to execute to Lamb 100% of the time with no blocking? And even TO couldn’t help the Eagles win a Super Bowl coming back early from an injury, what makes us think Gallup is going to be a game changer? We have a giant depth chart full of unproven receivers to back him up. Noah Brown is not the answer, how many times did he blow the big catch last year? We have an offensive coordinator who has yet to prove he is the real deal and can adjust to the opponent.

Here is the good news, the Defense IS for real - starters, coaches and depth! This is a constantly rotating group that now gets to play together another season. We have arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. We even have dudes like Bohanna coming out who according to Micah Parsons is going to impress a lot of people. Quinn took note, He has the big man there to stop the run. Special teams, let’s be honest, Greg the Leg was never consistent, how much more of a downgrade is it to Maher? We have a return man who is the fastest guy we’ve seen in a while, and Fassel has done a great job improving our special teams. Both Defense and ST are not the issue, they’re going to help us compete but offense is going to have to execute.

What is the good news? Brady ain’t exactly living in paradise either on his offensive line and their injuries, but unlike Dak, he has proven many years over he can make it work with anyone on that line, all the way to the Super Bowl. And even if our offense stinks the first few games, we have Peters coming who can play any position we need him except center, our two best wideouts after Lamb are on the way. So if our offense makes it happen this early, you can bet this is going to be a damn good year. But if they fail, season is not over and we can still make it happen, but there are going to be some frustrating games this year.

I disagree. I think the offense is going to be its usual self. start hot, have a dip in production in the middle. struggle at times and dominate at others.

the consistency of the defense, our ability to stop the run and pressure the QB consistently will determine how far will this team go. if we give up runs like last year, then the defense is always on its heels, always allowing 3rd down conversion, always allowing the other teams offense to stay on the field, then we are not going to go far.

stop the run.
reduce the 3rd down conversions
pressure the QB

then we have success.

Nexx

Reaction score
completely disagree. our offense was never going to be able to carry this team in the playoffs as you saw in the playoffs last year while healthy. only way this season is a success if the defense takes another step and becomes dominant.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Says the man, who don’t believe in statistics. Lol only when it suits you right. I believe this wide receiver core is going to be better. Keep your high priest big-name prima donna‘s. You have to get a name sometime. Watch these rookies shine. Back to Prescott first season. Dink dunk methodical control the clock. Win the game in the fourth quarter. Prescott shut up a lot of people this season

Not getting into a peeing contest with any member on here but I always try and support my position with statistics. Just because the statistics disprove your position or paint a picture you do not like does not mean the statistics lie.

Toro9

Reaction score
It'll always be in the back of my mind that Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have won a SB. I know those were some dominant defenses and while I think the Boys D is going to be really good, I don't expect them to be dominant. The equalizer is that Dak is a better QB than those guys and the running game can be strong.

Not saying the Cowboys are going to win a SB with the way things are, but it's not out of the realm of possibility... imo

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Expecting this offense to excel when under the most pressure is unrealistic IMHO. In 2016 we were a dominant force that broke through any pressure that was applied by the defense. Since then we have become more and more a finesse driven stat machine.

Creeper

Reaction score

I totally agree with all of this. The defense will hang tough but this offense will struggle against good defenses. I think the defense will be a lot like last year, maybe a slight improvement in the middle of the DL.

We'll have to see how Tyler Smith and McGovern do. I am not writing them off, but McGovern was just okay in preseason - against backups and 90 man roster flotsam and jetsam. Against the Bucs, they will be facing some tough 1st string competition. How they play against real competition will tell us a lot about the rest of the season.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Fairly objective assessment there sport !
You are not a Hater or Homer just laying out the truth...