*** The Official Coronavirus Thread ***

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Reality, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

26,281 Messages
    21,710 Likes Received
    Excellent point Reality.

I bet the infection rate is two or three times what is being reported. How many people had flu like symptoms and just brushed it off and took some Tylenol for a couple of days until they got better.

And there is lack of testing. Here in Texas, roughly 11,000 tests have been done...…..the problem......Texas population roughly 30 million.:facepalm:

CowboysWillRise and Reality like this.
  2. Beast_from_East

26,281 Messages
    21,710 Likes Received
    That's a great point you make Kaiser...………….population density seems to be the key factor in infection rates, which makes sense logically.

Here in Texas, almost all the cases are in 9 of the 10 largest counties...…………...over 200 counties here in Texas have zero cases.

What do those counties all have in common? Most are rural areas, lots of farm land, cattle, small towns with little travel in and out, ect...

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  3. Beast_from_East

26,281 Messages
    21,710 Likes Received
    That is the same here in Austin...…………...they have three drive up locations that are doing testing, but you have to have a doctor's order.

How do you get a doctor's order? You have to call a hotline and they ask you a bunch of questions and if you are not having serious problems, like trouble breathing, they tell you just to stay home. Only if you are really sick do they run a test on you.

That's totally messed up...……...a city of a million people and they only test the ones that are sick enough to go to the hospital. So half the dam city could be infected for all they know. Just wow, no words.:facepalm:

DanteEXT likes this.
  4. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

2,603 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    So my only day in the office this week and already someone has walked and leaned in real close to me as I was trying to set up something for him. I *** hate people so dang much. Even without the current situation personal space is a foreign concept to so many.

5. Beast_from_East

26,281 Messages
    21,710 Likes Received
    Yeah, I hate that also...…………..before we were all sent home, I would be working in my office and people would just walk right in and look over my shoulder and ask me "what you doing"?

I would say to them, "back the hell up, what is wrong with you that you dont understand what 6 feet is"?

6. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

17,969 Messages
    15,611 Likes Received
    Thanks for researching that. Sounds like it’s highly unlikely which is good. What about Monkey bites? :)

DeathMonkey likes this.
  7. Rockport

17,969 Messages
    15,611 Likes Received
    That’s how it is in Texas and it’s mainly because they don’t have enough PPE equipment as the testers must wear those to administer the tests.

8. Rockport

17,969 Messages
    15,611 Likes Received
    The plan scene was awesome!

Beast_from_East likes this.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,121 Messages
    23,821 Likes Received

Same way here in NYS. The rural counties have very few if no cases at all.

For the last 20 years or so there has been a movement back to the cities... Folks crowding in together.

I wonder how much of this is going to cause people to start thinking the other way– Maybe it's time to live in a more rural environment. Fear, be it rational or irrational is a powerful motivator, maybe the most powerful.

10. ClappingCarrot

ClappingCarrot Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    8,532 Likes Received
    They locked down my entire county today, with the exception of a few essential businesses.

So I have to drive to and from work with a note in my wallet from HR that explains to the police why I am essential, in case I'm pulled over.

What wild times we're living in.

11. Beast_from_East

26,281 Messages
    21,710 Likes Received
    Good point, I think this may change people's attitude about living in big cities. That is the last place you want to be when an infectious disease is on the loose.

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  12. MichaelWinicki

46,121 Messages
    23,821 Likes Received
    That's for sure.

13. triplets_93

triplets_93 Well-Known Member

999 Messages
    1,365 Likes Received
    Maybe it's time toban high density cities.

14. MichaelWinicki

46,121 Messages
    23,821 Likes Received
    Don't know if you're serious or not, but that will never happen.

It's just a good sized segment of the population likes the hustle, bustle and crowded environment of an urban environment... To me being stuck in an apartment building during this mess would be a nightmare.

15. Beast_from_East

26,281 Messages
    21,710 Likes Received
    Me too.

At least my house is pretty big, three bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, den, kitchen, home office, ect.

But if I was in a little apartment all cooped up for several weeks, that would be a nightmare.

16. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

21,223 Messages
    36,189 Likes Received
    The lack of tests is why they're trying to get people to stay in place. If they had plenty of tests, they could get this under control.

There are two problems. The virus and the lack of preparedness to fight it. It is the latter that is damaging the economy.

If there's a better example of an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of a cure, I don't know what it is.

17. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

10,616 Messages
    15,542 Likes Received
    The silver lining with that is the mortality rate is actually much lower as well.

18. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

10,616 Messages
    15,542 Likes Received
    Wow scientists have been begging China to close their wild animal markets for sometime now.

One epidemiologist found 19 different strains of Coronavirus inside a cave full of bats, most of which haven't made the jump to humanity yet.

They are aware of the dangers the markets present, but because they are profitable have not closed them down yet.

They have also tracked down a possible patient zero all the way back to early November. The Chinese government chose to suppress the severity of the virus for months.

19. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

42,351 Messages
    24,971 Likes Received
    I have been in a couple of discussions with co-workers and visitors when I have been in the same situation recently:

~Person comes close~

Me: Remember. Social distancing. (I say it with a genuine smile)
    Person: "My bad. I don't think I have it though." (or re-phrased similarly)
    Me: I don't think I have it either but hope I will not give it to anyone getting close to me like you are doing right now if I do.

It is not amazing to me how each one of them frowned and backed away from me. It is fascinating (literally and perfectly serious) what human beings take for granted though. Then again, my wife and I have NOT been practicing social distancing but I take her for granted all the time. :laugh:

DanteEXT and Kaiser like this.
  20. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

12,678 Messages
    21,418 Likes Received
    All posts for the Rabies Forum should be posted in the Rabies Forum. This is your only warning.