1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

*** The Official Coronavirus Thread ***

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Reality, Mar 9, 2020.

1. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

2,787 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    The Lancet: Investigation of first known person to person transmission of coronavirus 2.

https://www.thelancet.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620306073.pdf

Findings Patient 1—a woman in her 60s—returned from China in mid-January, 2020. One week later, she was hospitalised with pneumonia and tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. Her husband (Patient 2) did not travel but had frequent close contact with his wife. He was admitted 8 days later and tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. Overall, 372 contacts of both cases were identified; 347 underwent active symptom monitoring, including 152 community contacts and 195 health-care personnel. Of monitored contacts, 43 became persons under investigation, in addition to Patient 2. These 43 persons under investigation and all 32 asymptomatic health-care personnel tested negative for SARS-CoV-2.

Interpretation Person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 occurred between two people with prolonged, unprotected exposure while Patient 1 was symptomatic. Despite active symptom monitoring and testing of symptomatic and some asymptomatic contacts, no further transmission was detected.

Reality and waldoputty like this.
  2. waldoputty

waldoputty Well-Known Member

23,270 Messages
    21,132 Likes Received
    that is actually pretty good news if this the 'norm'. i would guess the healthcare people wore protective gear.

Reality likes this.
  3. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

10,053 Messages
    16,669 Likes Received
    Disneyland has been shutdown until further notice. What does that tell you?

They have only been suspended for three days in it's entirety.

waldoputty likes this.
  4. waldoputty

23,270 Messages
    21,132 Likes Received
    - go buy food if you can. have enough for 28 days. do it before midnight. worst case, you waste some food if gm0415 is drunk. though i am sure he is totally serious since we know he is a serious guy. good luck.

Air Force One and GMO415 like this.
  5. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,278 Messages
    23,231 Likes Received
    Too late, can’t find much. We are down to 8 rolls of TP and none left in stores, not even napkins or Kleenex. There wasn’t even a piece of chicken left, frozen or fresh. I went to many Vonns and Ralphs, I imagine Wally world is empty.

I will probably drive towards Palm Springs this weekend to see what’s over there. I could always go to Malibu and pay five times the price :lmao:

waldoputty likes this.
  6. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

10,053 Messages
    16,669 Likes Received
    I'm heading back out in the last hour for more

waldoputty likes this.
  7. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

9,219 Messages
    7,461 Likes Received
    Yea Calabasas, West HIlls Woodland Hills - not 1 paper product. id say 40% of all inventory is gone. No meat selection to speak of

waldoputty and GMO415 like this.
  8. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

9,219 Messages
    7,461 Likes Received
    I may head up to pismo beach Santa Maria, SLO. tend to have bigger stores and less population.

waldoputty likes this.
  9. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

10,053 Messages
    16,669 Likes Received
    Arrived and advised my fellow shoppers, after showing my credentials. Most took heed. I wished them good luck.

waldoputty likes this.
  10. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,278 Messages
    23,231 Likes Received
    Pismo is cleaned out, I got a spy(friend) up there. Anyplace near Hollywood/Santa Monica is empty too. This is why I am heading East, it will all be gone South towards Laguna.

waldoputty and TheDude like this.
  11. waldoputty

23,270 Messages
    21,132 Likes Received
    all done. had to buy 3 half gallon milk, only 6 eggs, a pack of chicken and some vege. i had the rest already but just fill the frig to totally full again.

good luck everyone

eu flight ban is friday night.
    i got a feeling this is more than LA. i warned my friends in sf and nyc.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  12. Reality

Reality Admin

23,423 Messages
    42,552 Likes Received
    New Roche coronavirus test wins emergency U.S. approval
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...est-wins-emergency-u-s-approval-idUSKBN2100MB

ZURICH (Reuters) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued emergency authorization for a faster coronavirus test made by Swiss diagnostics maker Roche (ROG.S), a move aimed at boosting screening capacity to help contain the growing epidemic.

The new tests provide results in 3.5 hours and can produce up to 4,128 results daily, the Basel-based company said on Friday, a boost to tests the company has offered until now.

The FDA’s Emergency Use Authorisation clears the tests to be deployed in the United States and markets accepting the CE mark showing they conform to European standards.

U.S. testing was hampered by flawed kits distributed by the federal government in February, which gave some false results. That set the country back in containing an outbreak that has infected more than 122,000 people worldwide and more than 1,660 in the United States.

Duane and shabazz like this.
  13. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

21,747 Messages
    18,421 Likes Received
    With the 2020-2021 NFL season in jeopardy and all current sports shutting down, we are reminded of the times we live in. We will get through this, folks. Be the best person you know how to be, do the right things. Have faith in your fellow mankind to do the same but kindly remind them when they are falling short. This is a temporary condition we are experiencing with this coronavirus going around. Do not panic, folks. We will get our normal lives back soon. This pause in our normalcy is just needed to give authorities time to make responsible decisions. And again, stay calm, folks.

14. JJHLH1

JJHLH1 Well-Known Member

3,650 Messages
    8,428 Likes Received
  15. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

9,219 Messages
    7,461 Likes Received
    It ig CA has a moratorium on crowds over 250, the groceries, malls may be forced close.have to say the shopping cart was a bit rancid. There was probably 2000 people in and out of Ralph's today

16. thebigeasy88

thebigeasy88 Well-Known Member

1,197 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    I live in Northwest PA which has yet to have a case but we all know that it's a matter of time. Nevertheless, the wifey made a typical/quick run to our local grocery store to pick up a few necessities. One of them being TP. She calls me from the store telling me that there isn't a SINGLE ROLL of TP in the entire store. While checking out, the cashier informs her that he isn't aware of a store, within 30 miles, that has any TP left. After hearing this, I jumped on Amazon to see if I could Prime me an 8 or 20-pack. And what do you know!? There were 20-packs of Charmin Extra Soft (only the best for this hiney) so I added one 20-pack to my cart and proceeded to checkout. As soon as the checkout page loads, I immediately see the total cost of $282. Surely the wifey had added something, during a previous time, and simply forgot to either buy it or remove it from the cart. To my horror, there was nothing else in my little ole cart but a 20-pack of TP. No thank you. For $282, I can make me a homemade bidet for fractions of the cost. A roll of duct tape, a cordless drill, a few drinking straws, water sealant and we're good to go. :clap:

17. The Fonz

The Fonz Correctamundo

5,246 Messages
    6,640 Likes Received
    That's a lot of money for TP
    you know some warm water will do the job even better:)

JoeKing and aria like this.
  18. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,199 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned, we should. However, the panic this is causing is overboard. There are only 135000 known cases throughout the world. Of those 135000, only 4900 have died. That is 4 percent of the people that have contracted this virus have died from it. Most of the deaths are the elderly due to weakened immune systems. Again, this is concerning, it isn't a cause for panic.

Robbieac, glimmerman and The Fonz like this.
  19. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

5,011 Messages
    8,590 Likes Received
    Why the Hoarding of Toilet paper?

100 rolls a year
    The average person in the U.S. uses about 100 rolls of toilet paper each year. If most of it came from China, this could be a huge problem because supply chains from that country have been severely disrupted as a result of COVID-19.

The U.S., however, imports very little toilet paper – less than 10% in 2017. And most of that comes from Canada and Mexico.

The U.S. has been mass producing toilet paper since the late 1800s. And while other industries like shoe manufacturing have fled the country, toilet paper manufacturing has not. Today there are almost 150 U.S. companies making this product.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2020
    pjtoadie likes this.
  20. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

5,011 Messages
    8,590 Likes Received
    For people that already have anxiety issues, this must really be taking a toll on them

pjtoadie, JJHLH1 and aria like this.