*** The Official Coronavirus Thread ***

Discussion in 'Covid Zone' started by Reality, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Soth

Soth Well-Known Member

571 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    I know everyone is focused on the US but it is interesting to see the different strategies by countries all over the world. Here is a website that shows the infection trends for a lot of countries. They are placed into buckets depending on how well they are containing the outbreak.

https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries

Some countries like South Korea are trying to essentially eliminate the virus (with aggressive testing/tracing instead of lock downs). China started with extreme lock downs which were eventually lifted (but they shut down restaurants and bars in Wuhan as soon as a few cases were identified and now they are testing the entire population in Wuhan). Germany is reopening after reducing new infections quite a bit (to R 1.0). Sweden never had a full lock down because they want to achieve herd immunity.

In the USA, some states are reopening and some are still under stay at home orders. But a lot of states are reopening without seeing a significant drop in cases. It is definitely riskier and more in line with Sweden than S. Korea or even Germany. So the USA is definitely on the "herd immunity" strategy. Let's see if it works.

Rockport likes this.
  2. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

17,062 Messages
    21,856 Likes Received
    Unless it's a state where there have been a lot of deaths, the strategy looks like it's "reopen without stretching the limits of the health care system." There are a few exceptions (California on one end, Pennsylvania on the other), but for the most part, the states that aren't reopening are the ones that have been hit the hardest.

3. percyhoward

17,062 Messages
    21,856 Likes Received
    Each sample is true by itself, but the misleading part is the fact that there are exactly three samples.

You could list hundreds of combinations of counties that would each add up to 1/3 of total deaths. The only reason to list exactly three is to give the illusion that you can add them up and get 100% of all deaths. Actually, those seven states represent 68% of all reported Covid deaths.

Places that haven't seen a lot of deaths are the ones most likely to reopen. The intent of the map is to suggest that all the deaths are concentrated into just those regions, when the truth is almost 1/3 of the deaths are outside those regions.

4. percyhoward

17,062 Messages
    21,856 Likes Received

Grenic, Ghost12 and Kaiser like this.
  5. BoysForLife

BoysForLife Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    5,312 Likes Received
    :clap::laugh:

Robbieac likes this.
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,432 Likes Received
    Plasma is the pony to bet on IMO. It seems like the HCQ-Remdesivir stuff is turning political but Plasma really is the best bet.

7. percyhoward

17,062 Messages
    21,856 Likes Received
    Another advantage of convalescent plasma over those others is that it's not just a treatment. It could also be the basis for a vaccine.

Grenic, DakPresgoat and Chocolate Lab like this.
  8. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,782 Messages
    24,322 Likes Received
    Looks like I was correct, LA did extend until August.

JoeKing likes this.
  9. Robbieac

Robbieac Well-Known Member

3,127 Messages
    1,868 Likes Received
    Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

These places need to be careful when they make these idiotic decisions.

This could easily cause an uprising.

10. triplets_93

triplets_93 Well-Known Member

2,035 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    percyhoward and Grenic like this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,432 Likes Received
    It still isn't on the City or County websites, are you hearing this from someone directly?

12. Tabascocat

20,782 Messages
    24,322 Likes Received
    I asked someone I know in the city council. He said it was a purposeful leak to prepare the citizens for when it becomes official.......probably announced next week.

Kaiser likes this.
  13. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,432 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

14. Tabascocat

20,782 Messages
    24,322 Likes Received
    It isn’t a 100% done deal but highly likely. That is fine though, Orange County will be up and running soon :thumbup:

Kaiser likes this.
  15. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,432 Likes Received
    Some of it is out now, I just got a text that a mask is required "outside my home" which may be anywhere outdoors. This is nuts. The news articles are saying all retail can open up for pickup except those inside malls. It has other nutty stuff like sunbathing is forbidden. Hopefully they walk some of this back when Garcetti figures out that Mayor of Pompeii isn't a great gig.

Tabascocat likes this.
  16. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,432 Likes Received
    cml750, BoysForLife and Robbieac like this.
  17. BoysForLife

3,942 Messages
    5,312 Likes Received
    Love the optimism but don't get your hopes up.
    I know normal people like you and me don't think like this but there are more than a few people in positions of power nationwide who wouldn't mind, and in fact may even benefit from, a societal meltdown.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,432 Likes Received
    Where I live its going to be a lot more "whatevs" than revolt. I really want to see what businesses do, most were setting up to open tomorrow on the 15th and I really think a lot of people are just going to ignore this nonsense. They have confirmed that its "wear a mask anytime you are outside your house" which has very little basis in science. The Mayor of LA hasn't really said anything recently (and it was all platitude BS before that, he called it "leading with love") but I think there is a good chance he backs down when the serious players in this town unload on him.

19. BoysForLife

3,942 Messages
    5,312 Likes Received
    For your sakes I hope your right.
    although here in the Great Lakes State, the powers that be don't seem to be fazed at all by the blowback and destruction caused by their decisions.

By the way, have you heard any news outlets talking about Georgia lately?

It's been a couple weeks since they re-opened shop. I know the "experts" guaranteed us that there would be a huge spike there and there would be untold Covid carnage from the reckless actions of the state opening too soon.

Have the experts realized their highly anticipated spike in cases and deaths? I have to think if it happened it would be all over most of the news networks....

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,432 Likes Received
    Pretty sure there is no news from Georgia because everyone there died from the virus so the information quit being reported.

Either that or it completely destroyed the Doomer narrative.

Speaking of, where are the last two holdouts in the Y2K Bunker today? Did their WiFi finally give out?

cml750, Robbieac and BoysForLife like this.