*** The Official Coronavirus Thread ***

Discussion in 'Covid Zone' started by Reality, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,348 Messages
    16,461 Likes Received
    He clearly downplayed it and it's in his emails for all to see. He was in communication with experts who warned him that this looked man-made and it should be looked into it. He then lied. Clear as day. 2 months before they determined COVID-19 was a pandemic!
    Why on Earth would anyone defend him?

2. Rustinpeace21

Rustinpeace21 Well-Known Member

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    But you’ve never listened to him. So people like you a cherry picking vauge phrases and saying see!

Like the mask email is such a nothing burger. Paraphrasing the emails “Masks don’t prevent you from getting covid, they are for people who are sick to avoid spreading covid”

That’s literally been his message the whole time, from when they found out a symptomatic people can spread covid.

But others will say, “see it doesn’t protect you from the virus he lied”

And that’s fine. Interpret or misinterpret however you want. He’s not getting arrested or whatever pipe dream people seem to think these emails are. If I’m wrong. I’ll come back and eat crow. But until he’s indicted, that’s my opinion.

3. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

27,201 Messages
    29,841 Likes Received
    Fauchii reminds me of Gooddell. Untenable position, no matter how you slice it, you're going to be much maligned.

4. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,348 Messages
    16,461 Likes Received
    What are you talking about? I've listened and read just about everything he's stated. I remember an interview in 2017 where he predicted a surprise outbreak was coming during the next admin. Assume much? How am I cherry picking? Lmao. Wow.
    You completely missed my point that he was warned and lied about the origin. Conveniently.

Here's some journalism about a NY times article:

For as much preaching people have done here for over a year about caring about people's health, it amazes me that some keep their head in the sand when things were deliberately downplayed and manipulated that were detrimental to people's health and lives.

Robbieac likes this.
  5. Rustinpeace21

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Good parallel. I’m no Fauci worshipper. He had a big task, made some mistakes, made some tough choices. Not above criticism, for sure.

But this jail talk, is funny. The guy was tasked with a once in a century pandemic. Let alone all the politics, dealing with states and federal and foreign issues that come along with a pandemic.

But throwing him in jail for filling out a bracket or saying healthy people can go on a cruise, when there was 50 cases in the country, sounds like something people in the 1500s would do.

6. Rustinpeace21

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Fauci sayng definitively in March/April 2020 that the virus was a lab leak, literally saves zero lives, the virus was already here. I have no idea what that has to do with caring about people’s lives

7. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    Sometimes the way we word things can cause a bit of confusion. I do it a lot myself. But I'm glad you raised my curiosity, because that's why I listened to the entire 30 plus minutes. When you say he did the opposite of downplaying, did you just mean he didn't downplay anything at all? Because the opposite, at least to me, would mean he was magnifying it, or raising an alarm. That's why I had to listen to it. Because he didn't do any of that.

He actually sounded honest in that interview. It's hard for me to remember what I was thinking over a year ago to consider this interview downplaying or not. But not a lot was said here. Probably because not much was known. Here are some of his points that stood out to me.

On the topic of mitigation, isolation, and quarantine, he mentioned that people were going to take steps themselves, like working from home, and hunkering down a bit, and didn't think there would be any public health mandates.

On who was at risk. He stated the risk group was very clear, the elderly, or people that were immune compromised. He did mention, like the flu, you'll get someone young and healthy that dies. He categorized that as an outlier. Later on he mentioned not to take unnecessary risks with the elderly boarding planes unless absolutely necessary. Basically keeping high risk people safe.

He talked about case fatality rate. The difference in how China treats it as opposed to others. Basically saying when you add in the asymptomatic in a model (guessing) it is much lower. China doesn't do that.

Bottom line is, if I heard this interview back on March 6th, 2020, I would not be too concerned.

8. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    From looking at his statements from the past, it appears Fauci didn't think this was much of an issue for those outside the high risk group. Is that safe to say?

Robbieac likes this.
  9. Rustinpeace21

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Yes, and the point is on March 6th, there was only 300 cases in the whole country. By the end of the month there was over 200k

Things changed quickly and we were woefully behind on testing.

His level of concern changing during that time, should not be a surprise.

10. Rustinpeace21

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Once it was realized that there was uncontrolled spread in this country, he’s been steadfast on distancing, and masks.

I don’t considering it flip flopping, when things literally spun out of control in less than 30 days. If you do, fine.

11. Rustinpeace21

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    You do realize his cause for concern should change when cases go from 300 to 200k in 24 days right?

It it didn’t, then he wouldn’t be doing his job.

12. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    From what I can tell is that he's been consistent on distancing, not masks. It's hard for me to believe he doesn't know exactly what masks do. Which is stop your spit from hitting someone in the face. Beyond that? Not much. And I believe he said as much. I rarely if ever listen to him, so I don't know how far his flip flopping went in regards to masks.

Robbieac likes this.
  13. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,562 Messages
    1,696 Likes Received
  14. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    That's why I said he didn't think is was cause for concern for the young and healthy. And although cases may go up, that doesn't mean the young and healthy are dropping like flies.

15. Rustinpeace21

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received

Young and healthy were bringing it into nursing homes, and that’s how the vulnerable started dropping like flies.

Do you see all the variables at play here between March 1st and March 30th?

im not even talking about Fauci. Just in general.

Hindsight is making this all look a lot easier than it actually was.

16. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

13,720 Messages
    19,824 Likes Received
    Uh, yeah, that's not why he should be thrown in jail. He should be thrown in jail for perjury.

He should be fired for incompetence.

His fanboys who shamed anyone who disagreed with him should be shamed.

The "fact checkers" shouldn't be trusted ever again.

FB and Twitter need to be reclassified as publishers so they can censor whatever they want but have the ability to be held liable for the content on their platform.

17. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    Yes. He did also mention that an outbreak would stress any health care system. He was hoping that wouldn't happen. But yeah, the young were spreading it to the vulnerable.

I remember early on there were calls for just protecting the vulnerable. That sounds good. But a lot easier said than done.

Look. I never had a problem with social distancing. Never had a problem with shutting down large indoor gatherings with a highly contagious disease spreading rapidly. What I had a problem with is shutting everything down completely. Wearing stupid masks. My cotton shirt wrapped around my face isn't doing anything besides stopping me from sneezing in your face. Or some of those keep cool masks that pretty much restrict nothing.

Robbieac likes this.
  18. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,348 Messages
    16,461 Likes Received
    Wait, you seriously don't think it impacted lives by not telling people what he knew?

Robbieac likes this.
  19. Rustinpeace21

1,113 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    I hear ya, we've been chatting about this stuff for a while. You've been consistent.

Flamma likes this.
  20. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    Yes! Except for the time I had 2 months off from work with full pay. Otherwise I was truly against it!