*** The Official Coronavirus Thread ***

Discussion in 'Covid Zone' started by Reality, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

5,060 Messages
    2,782 Likes Received
    I am not okay with the USA paying for it either since it was our dollars used to develop the vaccine and it was necessary because of another country releasing it on the rest of the world. I will be long dead before our massive amounts of debt comes back to ruin our future generations. Unfortunately, the USA does not get a free pass from the rest of the world because we're so "rich" and to hold back the vaccines from poor countries would be seen as greedy by the rest of the world and China would still get a pass. The USA gets blamed for trying to do good things and we get blamed when we don't try to do good.

Robbieac likes this.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

58,477 Messages
    27,111 Likes Received
    Clearly. I want everybody to remember that because there is another one coming. But, I can see this thread is headed in the wrong direction. I will excuse myself from this discussion because it will not end well.

Robbieac likes this.
  3. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

4,998 Messages
    10,242 Likes Received
    Yessir
    This will be similar in cost to 4 days worth of the United State’s military budget. A drop in the bucket, with perspective.

4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

58,477 Messages
    27,111 Likes Received
    Sure it will. And masks work, the shut down is for just 30 days, the Government is here to help you, whatever. Tell it to somebody stupid enough to believe that. That's not me.

Vtwin, kskboys, Robbieac and 2 others like this.
  5. Rustinpeace21

Rustinpeace21 Well-Known Member

1,103 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Wait, people are actually mad, that the United States, a country that prides itself on being a world leader, is helping poorer countries, that have fewer resources, during a global pandemic?

6. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,310 Messages
    16,428 Likes Received
    If that were the case, like nearly all medications, there wouldn't be an unreal profit margin. And guess who pays for it?

Robbieac likes this.
  7. Rustinpeace21

1,103 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    We didn't become the #1 country in the world by hoarding technology and medical advancements and whining about 500 million dollars. It's literally a drop in the bucket on the united states balance sheet. Having our trade partner's economies recover faster by helping them along in the vaccination process is also in our best interest.

8. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,100 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    Stop. This is a country that makes people that run track, outside, alone, wear a mask. You can't get any dumber and be human. We've hit a low point.

kskboys and Robbieac like this.
  9. Jammer

5,060 Messages
    2,782 Likes Received
    How much in debt does the USA have to be in before $500 million is no longer a "drop" in the bucket?

Robbieac likes this.
  10. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,310 Messages
    16,428 Likes Received
    You exaggerate way too often. Who said anything about hoarding technology? When insulin (one example) is affordable for citizens along with the all of big Pharma products and we can take care of our own people, then I'm all for sharing the wealth.

Jammer, Robbieac and Flamma like this.
  11. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

5,845 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received

Just seems odd when they don't do a very good job of helping themselves. Lot of things can be better here. 332 million people and that number is growing, running up the national debt to an absurd and unrecoverable amount and only getting worse and more people and more jobless and more homeless. I think the list of beneficiaries should start with people here! We're out to save the world, yet don't do a very good job of saving our own citizens.

The funny thing is how skewed these numbers are. Canada 38 million people. WOW That's actually insane. And it's bigger and they get healthcare. Wonder how their border security is? or their policy on saving the planet? This country and the healthcare system..getting worse by the day!!

Streetwise likes this.
  12. Rustinpeace21

1,103 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    You don’t think those poorer countries don’t rely on the United States for goods and services? It is in our best interest to have lesser countries economies get back to normal as soon as possible. So we can provide goods and services to them again, in turn they pay us for.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  13. Rustinpeace21

1,103 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    big pharma charging too much for medicine, is completely different than the United States sending vaccines to poorer countries.

I don’t like drug prices here, I think it’s garbage. But that’s what happens when you have free markets with minimal government interference, which so many clamor for.

kskboys likes this.
  14. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,310 Messages
    16,428 Likes Received
    Our own folks should be a bigger priority. Until then, I'm not concerned with my neighbor. I really don't know how much simpler it should be put. A last minute effort to make profits when the virus is fading fast. And they know it.

Flamma likes this.
  15. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,100 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    Unquestionably without a doubt. But they'll tell you it's a humanitarian issue. Plenty of aid to be had as long as they're paid. Will they help Americans first? Sure, first for the opportunity to pay.

Streetwise likes this.
  16. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,100 Messages
    8,787 Likes Received
    I don't know if this is going to be deleted, or I am going to get in trouble for this, but the point I am making has nothing to do with politics. It's to show the mindset of people currently today. This has nothing at all to do with politics. It's simply about masks and why people decide to still wear them. I personally don't care who continue to wear them or those that continue to require them. It's the reasoning that is scary stupid. It's in the link.

Masking mandates mostly lifted but many in NJ still wearing them (nj1015.com)

17. Rustinpeace21

1,103 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Again with the "profits" ...Pfizer's stock is lower than it was in 2018 and hasnt really done much over the last 5 years. Where are these monster profits that people keep talking about? And I'm pretty sure the vaccine is free for all Americans, so this narrative that we aren't "taking care of our own" doesn't really make much sense.

For comparison, the dow jones is up 95% in the same time span. So the largest covid vaccine manufacturer is actually severely underperforming.

rocyaice likes this.
  18. Jammer

5,060 Messages
    2,782 Likes Received
    You did not answer my question.

19. Rustinpeace21

1,103 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Your question doesn't have an answer unless you are the chairman of the federal reserve. People have differing opinions. Yes.

The federal debt has done nothing but go up since 2003. And is up 50% in the last 5 years.

500 million for vaccines at this moment, is .00001786% of the federal debt. While you don't consider that a drop in the bucket. I do. I am specifcally talking about this 500 million dollars, not whatever other wasteful spending you think might be occuring.

kskboys likes this.
  20. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,310 Messages
    16,428 Likes Received
    I mean, I totally get that side of the argument. Had the price of insulin get dramatically changed and we didn't have a homeless issue, I'd be all for being the helping the World. As we've seen things unfold recently, you would have to be blatantly obtuse not admit this is about profiting or helping people.
    Follow the money trail, connect some dots and this things is shady as heck. It makes me sick.

Flamma and Robbieac like this.