FEATURED *** The Official New Head Coach Speculation Thread ***

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a great time for Cowboys football and we can't start threads?????

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think he's a better clapper than Garrett. lol
Yes, but can he do the inspiring Garrett shove?

giphy.gif

Yeah. I thought as much.

CWR

Reaction score
Way back when, in the dark ages, or light if you enjoy winning Super Bowls, I had a stream of "inside" information. There were things I knew a few days before they were reported (draftees and coaching moves, one trade, maybe an unexpected cut or two). I respected confidentiality at the time, and I will now, though I suppose nobody would be harmed. I have less than zero access to anything like that these days, and I haven't for a very, very long time.

There is only one lesson I learned back then that applies to now -- more than most probably think, there are very few secrets among NFL teams. Mostly, teams know almost exactly where and by whom players will be drafted, for instance. The Cowboys get dinged for being too open about their preferences, and I think that's fair criticism. On the edges, it might hurt them from time to time. But by and large, there are few secrets and few surprises.

I don't think there is any question Garrett and his staff know their fates, and they've probably known for some time -- certainly since the Philly game. I imagine Jerry Jones already knows who he will hire, and I would be surprised if some other teams don't know. Certainly his preferred choice is aware. They've probably already talked (through an agent) dollars, contract length, responsibilities, etc.

Let us forget for a moment this is a football team. It is also a multimillion (in value billion) dollar business. Businesses do not determine C-suite hires during a short interview process. Sure, a surprise or revelation during an interview might change the outcome, but directors (or the owner) have known for some time who they like to fill particular senior positions.These are people who work in the same industry and know each other. A board of directors or an owner doesn't interview someone for three hours and say, "sounds like a great plan, you're hired."

Jones has his reasons -- and they might be lame, or seem lame -- for letting this thing drag. But he knows what he is going to do. Werder has been on this Cowboys beat since the Cowboys glory days. They know him and trust him. For whatever reason, they decided they wanted something leaked, and they leaked it to the guy they trust (or like) most.

The other beat reporters and national media are upset because they are aware -- Jones knows what he is going to do and is leaving us hanging, eating snacks all day at the Star. They speculate because they have nothing else to do and because it is a measure of payback to Jones to make him look like a baffled, indecisive imbecile.

Jones isn't concerned about who has been hired or is set to be interviewed because he already knows the end game.

Why the charade? The Rooney Rule is a reason. The league looks bad, and rightfully so, if the rule appears to be meaningless. Publicity might be another reason. Teams often delay their first round picks for 15 minutes so they will be talked about on national TV during that time. Jones probably loves the fact the Cowboys are front and center all over the media during this process. And there could be a personal reason -- Jones doesn't want to "fire" Garrett and would prefer to simply let it play out as the end of a contract that wasn't renewed.

I have no idea how this will play out. It doesn't mean Jones doesn't.

I agree, there is already a plan in place. We are way too comfortable not to have our next coach waiting in the wings. Garrett being retained is another possible explanation, but I think he wasn't re-signed last year for a reason.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I think it will be Zimmer.

Ties to the team, tough, defensive coach.

I think we keep Moore, Kitna, Brown, and Columbo on offense and Zim will pick the defensive staff and the rest of the coaches.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think it will be Zimmer.

Ties to the team, tough, defensive coach.

I think we keep Moore, Kitna, Brown, and Columbo on offense and Zim will pick the defensive staff and the rest of the coaches.
I hope not. I like Zimmer but we need a complete revamping of the coaching staff and I think Jerry would be too comfortable with him.

plasticman

Reaction score
Okay, toss out any candidate with legitimate credentials. Any coach that has won championship will want to instill his successful method into the organization. Jerry will continue to make decisions that contradict any plan or formula.

You can also eliminate any innovative young coach with a revolutionary concept. That would require specific players with specific abilities and talents. Jerry will be looking to draft players that are talented, yet, incompatible for a specific style if offense or defense.

The candidate cannot have a strong personality, he might hog some of the media attention. Can't have that.

I predict that the new Head Coach will be the current Head Coach of the University of Lefayette.!!!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to remain optimistic until proven wrong. Call me dumb, a homer, or whatever. Right now, I believe we'll get a great new HC with a new philosophy to win. As a diehard fan, that's all I can do at this point in time.

Couchscout101

Reaction score
A lot to unpack here but

recently after Lincoln Riley had been the favorite since early in the year Vegas has reopened the odds not with him as the favorite but Josh Mccdaniels

They wanted someone with head coaching experience

why take your time to fire Garrett unless your not able to contact your guy since the Pats are playing this weekend

obviously wanting a home run hire and this would sure have The feel

the same year he drools over bill he goes and gets his disciple in hopes of recreating something special

Dallasfann

Reaction score
A little off topic but the mods need to allow new threads and just delete any thread that talks about Garrett. Part of the greatness of this board is the creative posters and other tidbits people here find around the web. My 2 cents. They aren't worth much.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Wild in a good way or a bad way? He is an industrial engineer and has put together offensive powerhouses and knows the RPO like the back of his hand. We shall see what he does against LSU. Rumor has it that Stephen has already talked to him a few weeks back. Some have denied those rumors though.

I don't know much else about his story, though.

In a very good way ninja, tough tough start to life but showed incredible perseverance..

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ry-clemson-offensive-coordinator-tony-elliott