FEATURED *** The Official New Head Coach Speculation Thread ***

Kaiser

Reaction score
There is only one lesson I learned back then that applies to now -- more than most probably think, there are very few secrets among NFL teams. Mostly, teams know almost exactly where and by whom players will be drafted, for instance. The Cowboys get dinged for being too open about their preferences, and I think that's fair criticism. On the edges, it might hurt them from time to time. But by and large, there are few secrets and few surprises.

Great post and I agree all of this has been prewired a long time ago.

I've heard the same thing about MLB for their being no surprises. When a trade happens its been in the works for months and its never a surprise. Even when it gets to the point of being printed as a rumor, its something the teams have been talking about for a long time.

trickamsterdam

Reaction score
I'm going to remain optimistic until proven wrong. Call me dumb, a homer, or whatever. Right now, I believe we'll get a great new HC with a new philosophy to win. As a diehard fan, that's all I can do at this point in time.
I'm going to remain optimistic until proven wrong. Call me dumb, a homer, or whatever. Right now, I believe we'll get a great new HC with a new philosophy to win. As a diehard fan, that's all I can do at this point in time.

You're definitely not dumb, because you can self-analyze-- but you are a homer.

I'm not knocking you for that, you're right, individual fans- or even fans who band together- have little power to threaten or move a billion $ franchise, that is part of a multi billion $ NFL.

But there is every reason to think he will pick a mediocrity as head coach.

It's so obvious in retrospect that Jimmy Johnson was a totally lucky hire. Jerry hired him because JJ was his buddy, and it was just a lucky break (for Cowboy fans) that he could coach.

Jerry will hire someone he's "comfortable" with, e.g., someone who will work for small money and who has few, if any, other offers.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
A few users requested an official head coach speculation thread while we wait for an official announcement and/or confirmation of Garrett being fired, so here it is.

Who do you think would be the best option for the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys?
White smoke watch?

ESisback

Reaction score
Way back when, in the dark ages, or light if you enjoy winning Super Bowls, I had a stream of "inside" information. There were things I knew a few days before they were reported (draftees and coaching moves, one trade, maybe an unexpected cut or two). I respected confidentiality at the time, and I will now, though I suppose nobody would be harmed. I have less than zero access to anything like that these days, and I haven't for a very, very long time.

There is only one lesson I learned back then that applies to now -- more than most probably think, there are very few secrets among NFL teams. Mostly, teams know almost exactly where and by whom players will be drafted, for instance. The Cowboys get dinged for being too open about their preferences, and I think that's fair criticism. On the edges, it might hurt them from time to time. But by and large, there are few secrets and few surprises.

I don't think there is any question Garrett and his staff know their fates, and they've probably known for some time -- certainly since the Philly game. I imagine Jerry Jones already knows who he will hire, and I would be surprised if some other teams don't know. Certainly his preferred choice is aware. They've probably already talked (through an agent) dollars, contract length, responsibilities, etc.

Let us forget for a moment this is a football team. It is also a multimillion (in value billion) dollar business. Businesses do not determine C-suite hires during a short interview process. Sure, a surprise or revelation during an interview might change the outcome, but directors (or the owner) have known for some time who they like to fill particular senior positions.These are people who work in the same industry and know each other. A board of directors or an owner doesn't interview someone for three hours and say, "sounds like a great plan, you're hired."

Jones has his reasons -- and they might be lame, or seem lame -- for letting this thing drag. But he knows what he is going to do. Werder has been on this Cowboys beat since the Cowboys glory days. They know him and trust him. For whatever reason, they decided they wanted something leaked, and they leaked it to the guy they trust (or like) most.

The other beat reporters and national media are upset because they are aware -- Jones knows what he is going to do and is leaving us hanging, eating snacks all day at the Star. They speculate because they have nothing else to do and because it is a measure of payback to Jones to make him look like a baffled, indecisive imbecile.

Jones isn't concerned about who has been hired or is set to be interviewed because he already knows the end game.

Why the charade? The Rooney Rule is a reason. The league looks bad, and rightfully so, if the rule appears to be meaningless. Publicity might be another reason. Teams often delay their first round picks for 15 minutes so they will be talked about on national TV during that time. Jones probably loves the fact the Cowboys are front and center all over the media during this process. And there could be a personal reason -- Jones doesn't want to "fire" Garrett and would prefer to simply let it play out as the end of a contract that wasn't renewed.

I have no idea how this will play out. It doesn't mean Jones doesn't.

Thank you for the read! Very interesting insight, which I would hope would lower the overreaction quotient just a tad.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Nobody available excites JJ. He knew Jason's contract was expiring since last January. He should already have his short list prepared. He doesn't, which tells you something.

Notice how they keep reminding us, "as soon as Garrett's gone, the search for a new coach will start shortly after." That says JJ doesn't want to part ways with Garrett, he's totally unprepared for the next move and nobody available excites him or would be the splash hire he craves. He's too old to start a new plan with a college coach.

Add in, Jason doesn't want to leave Cowboy land, no matter how much flack the fans give him.

Now, with Rivera in the Snyder camp, the biggest splash Jerry can make with NFL head coach experience would be Mike McCarthy. Minor splash Lincoln Riley, Urban Meyer, and Matt Rhule who might be good NFL coaches 3 to 5 years from now.

It all brings us back to the JJ thought machine of, "How do I lose nothing and move forward with something new?" So the meetings continue, the speculation continues, and we're left in the dark about what will happen, when, and who it affects until one of them says, "SeeYa!" or they work out a way to keep Garrett while bringing in another head coach.

nobody

Reaction score
Nobody available excites JJ. He knew Jason's contract was expiring since last January. He should already have his short list prepared. He doesn't, which tells you something.

Notice how they keep reminding us, "as soon as Garrett's gone, the search for a new coach will start shortly after." That says JJ doesn't want to part ways with Garrett, he's totally unprepared for the next move and nobody available excites him or would be the splash hire he craves. He's too old to start a new plan with a college coach.

Add in, Jason doesn't want to leave Cowboy land, no matter how much flack the fans give him.

Now, with Rivera in the Snyder camp, the biggest splash Jerry can make with NFL head coach experience would be Mike McCarthy. Minor splash Lincoln Riley, Urban Meyer, and Matt Rhule who might be good NFL coaches 3 to 5 years from now.

It all brings us back to the JJ thought machine of, "How do I lose nothing and move forward with something new?" So the meetings continue, the speculation continues, and we're left in the dark about what will happen, when, and who it affects until one of them says, "SeeYa!" or they work out a way to keep Garrett while bringing in another head coach.

This, except I'd alter that just a bit. Nobody available who'd say yes and agree to co-coach with Jerry excites Jerry.