CFZ The official sober assessment of Josh Ball

_sturt_

Reaction score
After a forgettable debut in high altitude, the redshirt freshman has had two adequate-to-solid performances, giving up a TFL last week in LA, and a sack last night.

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations. It's really not even enough, imo, to anoint him as your swing tackle. He's too green to be given that level of responsibility.

But soberly, if you reframe the picture as-if you had Tyron ready to go and you had some other vet ready to go as your swing tackle, you couldn't help but look at your new offensive lineman's first three pseudo-NFL games and say, "Damn, we might have ourselves a long-term asset here."

Unfortunately, reality is that we "cannot not" frame the picture as reality frames the picture.

Look. Josh Ball is good. He's going to be even better with more time and experience.

But he's not ready for that starting LT level of expectation week-in-week-out. It's unfair to him to put him in that position, and it's unfair to Dak and the rest of the team to put him in that position, too.

Can he handle the swing tackle? I'd rather him not, but on the other hand, if fate were to allow the starting five linemen some good health for the first month or two of the season, I'm bullish on Ball being up to that role eventually. Just not immediately. Soon. Not yet.

It's just too bad he got no time last year to develop... think we'd be feeling a bit (not a lot, but a bit) less alarmed with Tyron going down.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the talent is there...just not the experience.
but he is worth working on.
i wouldn't start him this season...but i'm not cutting him either.
the more experience he gets...the better he'll be.
you can see the talent.
he's better now than he looked just a few weeks ago.
i'm not gonna kill the guy for lack of experience.

Ken

Reaction score
After a forgettable debut in high altitude, the redshirt freshman has had two adequate-to-solid performances, giving up a TFL last week in LA, and a sack last night.

It's not enough, imo, to crown him starting LT on a team that has legitimate SB aspirations. It's really not even enough, imo, to anoint him as your swing tackle. He's too green to be given that level of responsibility.

But soberly, if you reframe the picture as-if you had Tyron ready to go and you had some other vet ready to go as your swing tackle, you couldn't help but look at your new offensive lineman's first three pseudo-NFL games and say, "Damn, we might have ourselves a long-term asset here."

Unfortunately, reality is that we "cannot not" frame the picture as reality frames the picture.

Look. Josh Ball is good. He's going to be even better with more time and experience.

But he's not ready for that starting LT level of expectation week-in-week-out. It's unfair to him to put him in that position, and it's unfair to Dak and the rest of the team to put him in that position, too.

Can he handle the swing tackle? I'd rather him not, but on the other hand, if fate were to allow the starting five linemen some good health for the first month or two of the season, I'm bullish on Ball being up to that role eventually. Just not immediately. Soon. Not yet.

It's just too bad he got no time last year to develop... think we'd be feeling a bit (not a lot, but a bit) less alarmed with Tyron going down.
I didn't see a sack. Are they saying that the play where Grier ran left into it was a sack on Ball? If so, that wasn't on him..that was on the Qb.

Ball was very good in Pass pro. Bad in run blocking as he lunges at defenders and gets off balance. We can work with this if this stays this way.

I thought Waletzko looked the part last night as well. Definitely has the looks of a T and the technique and Agility.

Creeper

Reaction score
You can see he is improving with every game. He struggled with stunts and blitzes early but it looks like he is learning. I think he will struggle if he starts the regular season, but I also think he will improve as the season progresses. I honestly do not think the Cowboys are going to find or sign someone who will be perfect for the position at this point.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
His play will mirror his fitness level

Once he gets quick - he'll he able to adjust to that 1st string , NFL DE quickness. He's presently fine matching up with 2nd & 3rd tier type DE - but those elite defenders have him outta his level on fitness

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
uncle-jed-clampett-pitiful-jpeg.24589
We could be in deep caca

Sydla

Reaction score
Ball and Waletzko are the types that need a couple of years in the system to be truly serviceable. Neither is ready to be a starting LT in this league. But the Cowboys have put themselves into this situation and now are left scrambling thinking they can make a SB run with one of three not so good options playing LT.

blueblood70

Reaction score
we have some future options for sure, but we do need vet presence as the starting LT or at least swing only break glass on those guys if more injuries happen.

my best guess is ,

Tyler- McGovern-Biadsz-martin-Steele with an added vet tackle as swing Farniok swing g/c., plenty of time this coming 13 days before game 1..liost of cutdowns and trades will happen all over..hopfully they have a wish list and like Turpin& Barr, they have few OT in mind,

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Nice objective assessment
This team does not have legitimate super bowl aspersions.
That's what Jerry is selling, not reality

Sydla

Reaction score
we have some future options for sure, but we do need vet presence as the starting LT or at least swing only break glass on those guys if more injuries happen.

my best guess is ,

Tyler- McGovern-Biadsz-martin-Steele with an added vet tackle as swing Farniok swing g/c., plenty of time this coming 13 days before game 1..liost of cutdowns and trades will happen all over..hopfully they have a wish list and like Turpin& Barr, they have few OT in mind,

That five makes the most sense given the situation we are in but let's also remember, Tyler Smith is now nursing an ankle injury I believe. They say it's no big deal but even if he misses a few practices, that's a few workouts he needs at LT.

I seem to think they will start Ball at LT and try to get Tyler Smith up to speed to hopefully take over at some poiont during the season. So if Smith is still nicked up a bit, gun to head, I think they are likely going Ball-McGovern-Biadasz-Martin-Steele against TB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Josh Ball what Doug Free was?

Needed more playing time to improve, but Ball seems to have much more upside. Free had his moments of poor play, but he was not as bad as many made him out to be.
Free was was of those OL you keep looking for someone better, but could not find that guy, until they finally addressed it in the draft.

I am not sure, just asking the question if anyone else sees this.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Is Josh Ball what Doug Free was?

Needed more playing time to improve, but Ball seems to have much more upside. Free had his moments of poor play, but he was not as bad as many made him out to be.
Free was was of those OL you keep looking for someone better, but could not find that guy, until they finally addressed it in the draft.

I am not sure, just asking the question if anyone else sees this.
Free was never a left tackle , he was RT through and through , correct?

Reactions: BAT

stiletto

Reaction score
I am fine with them developing the guy but to throw him out there as the starting LG would be a dereliction of duty by ownership and the coaches. No way he can be our starting LT. Maybe in a year or two if he continually improves. He's way too green.

coult44

Reaction score

I think I stopped reading at “Josh Ball is good”

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is why teams trade picks for players, and/or sign free agents while within a window of trying to win.....and try to develop mid round picks when you're on a down cycle.

Now we have a team who would have a shot to win, but we have several OL that we like, but aren't ready to be counted on.

It's a poorly, poorly run situation.

Given the state of the division, one with having a QB in his prime, and Parsons etc on defense.....this team should be trying to make deep playoff runs.

Instead they are still trying to turn 4th and 5th rounder into instant players by force.

Ain't gonna add up.

Creeper

Reaction score
Ball and Waletzko are the types that need a couple of years in the system to be truly serviceable. Neither is ready to be a starting LT in this league. But the Cowboys have put themselves into this situation and now are left scrambling thinking they can make a SB run with one of three not so good options playing LT.

When a team drafts a OT in the 4 or 5th round, they are drafting a project with the expectation he will pan out in 2 or 3 years. Ball missed last season so he and Waletzko are being thrown into the pool and the Cowboys are hoping they don't drown. The learning curve will be steep and at times painful if they are forced into the lineup.

Rayman70

Reaction score
He's not the answer. I saw him do some ok things as the game went along but against camp bodies . I rather try him at guard where he can be protected. He is a 3rd string guard at best. He's a liability at tackle