The Only Logical Explanation For The FO Inactivity

817Gill

Reaction score
I’m definitely into resigning our own Pro
Bowlers, but I definitely know we need 1 or 2 outside talents to make this team better.

The FO seems to not agree, but what if they are planning ahead to 2020?

If JJ and SJ are serious about their last chance for JG, maybe they are anticipating his departure after this season. If they are sure he won’t be the HC in 2020 (Its not hard to imagine the FO not believing he can take the team to the SB). Then maybe they dont see the point of investing in the guys that aren’t locks to be here.

Maybe the FO wants to wait for Sean Payton (who they could very well already have a verbal agreement with) or whoever the next HC is to pinpoint the players they want in next years FA. With the players the team has to resign, the team could maneuver the cap to where 2020 would be an all-in year. Keeping our pro bowlers and having a new HC come in to hand pick FA’s would make the 2020 season seemingly the most SB ready team and coach we’ve had since 09.

Heck even the Witten signing points to the FO giving JG one last go with his guys, even though it’s pretty clear “his guys” aren’t enough.

This theory definitely has some holes in it and there is a great chance the FO is just terrible in FA and can only draft. But I’m clinging to some hope that the team is gearing up for a 2020 title run sans JG.

What do y’all think?

Que the: “Next year is our year crowd” lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m definitely into resigning our own Pro
Bowlers, but I definitely know we need 1 or 2 outside talents to make this team better.

The FO seems to not agree, but what if they are planning ahead to 2020?

If JJ and SJ are serious about their last chance for JG, maybe they are anticipating his departure after this season. If they are sure he won’t be the HC in 2020 (Its not hard to imagine the FO not believing he can take the team to the SB). Then maybe they dont see the point of investing in the guys that aren’t locks to be here.

Maybe the FO wants to wait for Sean Payton (who they could very well already have a verbal agreement with) or whoever the next HC is to pinpoint the players they want in next years FA. With the players the team has to resign, the team could maneuver the cap to where 2020 would be an all-in year. Keeping our pro bowlers and having a new HC come in to hand pick FA’s would make the 2020 season seemingly the most SB ready team and coach we’ve had since 09.

Heck even the Witten signing points to the FO giving JG one last go with his guys, even though it’s pretty clear “his guys” aren’t enough.

This theory definitely has some holes in it and there is a great chance the FO is just terrible in FA and can only draft. But I’m clinging to some hope that the team is gearing up for a 2020 title run sans JG.

What do y’all think?

Que the: “Next year is our year crowd” lol

The telling part to me will come with the quarterback.

If they don't extend him?

I may agree with you that they will leave the big decisions up to the new head coach.

If they pay the quarterback?

No, they're just a bunch of morons.

John813

Reaction score
They have a set number for each player they are interested in and will not go that much over their numbers to "seal the deal".

Probably the same thing is going on with Tank. Just that they own his rights with the tag.

IMO

817Gill

Reaction score
The telling part to me will come with the quarterback.

If they don't extend him?

I may agree with you that they will leave the big decisions up to the new head coach.

If they pay the quarterback?

No, they're just a bunch of morons.

I see your point, I just think other HC’s see Dak in a brighter lense than a lot of our fans. They see his deficiencies and feel like that’s something they can live with. Especially because the coaching Dak’s has had has been objectively below average to average.

With such a great intangible guy like Dak, I really don’t see a HC wanting him out. He’s won too much to get kicked to the curb. No matter what our fans say, the league sees him differently. They see him as a guy who has deficiencies, but you can win with. Remember HC’s have egos too and believe they can do wonders.

So I don’t think Dak will be the issue. Schefter and Rapp have gone over this as well, saying NFL executives are pretty high on Dak overall, definitely not low enough to think he shouldn’t start.

This is just the sense I’ve gathered from reports. But, if the cowboys do sign him to a deal that will make acquiring other talent difficult, that would be an issue.

If his contract is maneuverable, no HC will have an issue with him. At least at first.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
This makes no sense.

If they really felt this way, the smart thing to do would have been to fire Garrett this off-season. Bring in a new coach and go from there.

Not waste another season, waste another season of key players prime years, fielding a team you don’t think can win.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I would actually feel better if I knew Jerry wanted to tank 2019 for 2020 rewards. Otherwise, if this is truly how they look when they are "more desperate than ever" to win, then there is truly no hope for our organization, and we will continue to spin in a vortex of mediocrity for the next two and a half decades.

JayFord

Reaction score
They’re gonna pay Dak 30 million per year is the explanation. No room for actual quality.

They’re not paying dak at all......they probably already asked his agent if dak is willing to volunteer his services as our qb

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see your point, I just think other HC’s see Dak in a brighter lense than a lot of our fans. They see his deficiencies and feel like that’s something they can live with. Especially because the coaching Dak’s has had has been objectively below average to average.

With such a great intangible guy like Dak, I really don’t see a HC wanting him out. He’s won too much to get kicked to the curb. No matter what our fans say, the league sees him differently. They see him as a guy who has deficiencies, but you can win with.

So I don’t think Dak will be the issue. Schefter and Rapp have gone over this as well, saying NFL executives are pretty high on Dak overall, definitely not low enough to think he shouldn’t start.

This is just the sense I’ve gathered from reports. But, if the cowboys do sign him to a deal that will make acquiring other talent difficult, that would be an issue.

If his contract is maneuverable, no HC will have an issue with him. At least at first.

I'll leave that decision up to that next head coach rather than making it for him and then hoping that the next guy is OK with it.

And since I have zero reason to rush things, I won't.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This makes no sense.

If they really felt this way, the smart thing to do would have been to fire Garrett this off-season. Bring in a new coach and go from there.

Not waste another season, waste another season of key players prime years, fielding a team you don’t think can win.

Yes, but how often has this team done the smart thing in these situations?

I very much believe it came down to not being able to get either of the two guys they wanted and not liking any other candidates, so they decided to give 'status quo' one last shot. And now they hope there's a better option available next year.

cern

Reaction score
we know the big names on our team we have to resign. we know they will cost a lot. starts with tank. it really doesn't seem that hard to figure out. there's just so much money to go around. Stephen's being smart about things.

InTheZone

Reaction score
They’re gonna pay Dak 30 million per year is the explanation. No room for actual quality.
If that's true and we don't sniff a Super Bowl in 2019 then I might as well boil water in the fridge to see which happens first.

817Gill

Reaction score
This makes no sense.

I want to fire JG as much as anyone, but this offseason was probably the weakest HC market in years. Who did you want Adam Gase? Or prized candidate Matt LeFluer? They aren’t clearly better than Garrett, I’d rather just wait on SP or next year’s crop in general.

cern

Reaction score
I want to fire JG as much as anyone, but this offseason was probably the weakest HC market in years. Who did you want Adam Gase? Or prized candidate Matt LeFluer? They aren’t clearly better than Garrett, I’d rather just wait on SP or next year’s crop in general.
I would take la fleur over garrett.

817Gill

Reaction score
I would take la fleur over garrett.
His first season as OC in Tennessee, the offense regressed in every statistical category. He might have success with the most talented qb ever in A-Rod, but I haven’t seen enough from him to pound the table for his services.

Rather wait on 2020, someone just as good will be available.