The Phantom Sack

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Meh doesn’t matter much they got their butts handed to em all night. They got flat out whipped

ArgyleMitch

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the ref saw La'el instinctively protecting his quarterback (and at the same time hindering him and potentially making matter worse) and assumed he saw something he didn't and just blew the whistle. I can't blame him for being confused, I was confused. That play was friggin' weird.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It was a wierd play. Refs blew the whistle too early, but it certainly was awkward and looked potentially dangerous to the QB. I honestly think it was something a championship level team could overcome.
That was a 3rd and 7 at the Rams 36-yard line. If they don't stop the play, maybe Dak gets sacked anyway. Or maybe he throws it away and we try a 53-yard FG. Or maybe he completes it for a first down, and we go on to score a TD in a game we lost by 8 points.

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
I’d check that ref’s bank account.
And look at some of the spots we were getting. On the Gallop catch at the goal line, he landed inside the 1 and they spotted it at the 2.
Even the Noah Brown catch, should have been 4th and inches.
Throughout the years, where the ref spots the ball is a good sign if we are going to get the calls or not in a given game.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Who was the second defender you were referring to then?

There were two guys in the area, and one was grasping at Dak. But in the rule, the second defender is the guy preparing to spear the QB while he’s held upright. So maybe they could argue it’s not a smart play by Collins because he’s putting the QB in danger of being hit unithodoxly, but that’s techincally how the rule is worded so it was a missed call.

mmohican29

Reaction score
That was a 3rd and 7 at the Rams 36-yard line. If they don't stop the play, maybe Dak gets sacked anyway. Or maybe he throws it away and we try a 53-yard FG. Or maybe he completes it for a first down, and we go on to score a TD in a game we lost by 8 points.

Not questioning it was a blown call. This particular call, however I can live with because of the keystone cops element and it certainly looked like a play that deserved no yards or a loss.

He blew the whistle early. We executed horrifically. What's done is done on this one imo. I've never seen a RT try to move his QB like that. It was a mess. If Dak was smart he would have just attempted a forward throwaway. He didnt and no fg attempt.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins grabbed Dak to protect him from being slammed because it looked like he might be since Collins was on the wrong side of him so I think Collin instinctively grabbed Dak to hold him up and then a moment later realized that Dak was going to escape the tackle.

Still don't understand why the referee called it a sack though unless you now count your own guys in-the-grasp.

Proof

Reaction score
So there’s this, Zeke getting called for helmet to helmet, the snap infraction, and a few weeks ago when our defense got called for a false start. Just some wonky weirdo calls that you rarely see or have ever heard of.

Not this season, but in the 16 playoff game against the packers when T Will (who is honestly completely forgotten was on the team until referencing him now ) got called for unsportsmanlike like conduct for running to the sideline and coming back? Wat

Dre11

Reaction score
I believe La’el was instinctively trying to protect his QB.

The referee is dumb for calling it but once you whistle the play dead, you can’t go back.

Yes you can, you call it an inadvertent whistle and replay the down.