News: The Price Tag for Zack Martin Continues to Rise

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Price Tag for Zack Martin Continues to Rise
by Kristi Scales
http://www.5pointsblue.com/the-price-tag-for-zack-martin-continues-to-rise/

xAP_17295801289704.png.pagespeed.ic.5m_oziYeph.jpg

All Pro right guard Zack Martin is currently on the books for $9.341 million in 2018. That’s his base salary as well as his salary cap hit after the Cowboys exercised the 5th year option on his rookie contract. However, that number will change as the team negotiates a long-term deal that he and team owner Jerry Jones hope will make Martin a Cowboy-for-life.

The price tag continues to go up, especially as free agency opened this week and new deals are being made. Free agent Andrew Norwell, formerly of the Carolina Panthers, reportedly has agreed to a deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars for 5 years and $65 million. Norwell’s reported average salary will be $13.3m with $30 million guaranteed.

Norwell will be the highest paid guard in the NFL…until Martin gets his deal negotiated with the Cowboys. Norwell and his agent set the market… and now Martin will break the bank.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I know Zack is one of the best G’s in football, but he is a G. Do we want to pay a G, 13 or more million a year. My point. Zack is only as good as the weakest link on the O line, especially when it comes to pass blocking. Look at last year, in general, our pass blocking was mediocre at best, and terrible at worst. I would rather have 5 solid O lineman and solid backups(see NE ) than 3 or 4 studs and below average backups. We spend way more money on our O line, than NE, and our O line was not near as effective as NE’s last year. I think we over spend on our O line starters and this causes us to go cheap in other areas. Personally, I would put more money into our D line. With a dominant D line all it takes is on guy to make a big play. Many a Super Bowl have been won by dominant D line play!! Jerry values, the SHOW, so we may never see a dominant D around here.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I know Zack is one of the best G’s in football, but he is a G. Do we want to pay a G, 13 or more million a year. My point. Zack is only as good as the weakest link on the O line, especially when it comes to pass blocking. Look at last year, in general, our pass blocking was mediocre at best, and terrible at worst. I would rather have 5 solid O lineman and solid backups(see NE ) than 3 or 4 studs and below average backups. We spend way more money on our O line, than NE, and our O line was not near as effective as NE’s last year. I think we over spend on our O line starters and this causes us to go cheap in other areas. Personally, I would put more money into our D line. With a dominant D line all it takes is on guy to make a big play. Many a Super Bowl have been won by dominant D line play!! Jerry values, the SHOW, so we may never see a dominant D around here.

if we had a good Oline man, i would agree, but because we put ourselves in this situation, the team has to pay to compensate.

cern

Reaction score
Zack has a good agent who has advised Zack to be silent and let him do the talking. He'll get his money. Here or somewhere else. The heat's on the cowboys. If they don't sign him soon, he'll probably not be a cowboy long.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
To expensive, just trade him to Seattle for Earl Thomas and their first round draft pick this year. Then draft Isaiah Wynn and Will Hernandez at 18 and 19. Both guard spots locked up for 4 years with a fifth year option for cheap. Earl Thomas has the FS positon locked down and you can pay him because you don't have to pay Martin. Then you can worry about everything else knowing your offensive line is rock steady.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I know Zack is one of the best G’s in football, but he is a G. Do we want to pay a G, 13 or more million a year.

I agree with you on the position, but it's hard to pass up a guy on the fast track to a gold jacket.

They could go for one of those 1st round guards and have the replacement for Martin ready for 2019, plus overlap on them for this year with 5 first round quality picks on the line, if you count Collins.

It's a thought. It would give them an option. And the value for us in the 1st might actually end up at G this year.

vlad

Reaction score
Love that player, but that much for a guard is tough. I also agree I'd rather load up on a d line than an o line.

Now Garrett hasn't shown much without a top line, other than getting his qb killed routinely. Would hate to see dak get lit up the way Romo did.

LittleD

Reaction score
Martin is a guard so that does put somewhat of a ceiling on his money. If they can't get a reasonable long term deal, they always have the franchise tag for next year and the year after that.
That would be 7 years they would have had the young man and at that point they could let him go and find the next Martin in the draft. Guards are always available.

ghst187

Reaction score
To expensive, just trade him to Seattle for Earl Thomas and their first round draft pick this year. Then draft Isaiah Wynn and Will Hernandez at 18 and 19. Both guard spots locked up for 4 years with a fifth year option for cheap. Earl Thomas has the FS positon locked down and you can pay him because you don't have to pay Martin. Then you can worry about everything else knowing your offensive line is rock steady.

I actually like this idea but I would also want Seattle tossing in a draft pick to do that trade as Martin is much younger.
Just don't see any world where it makes sense to pay an OG that kind of money.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Martin is a guard so that does put somewhat of a ceiling on his money. If they can't get a reasonable long term deal, they always have the franchise tag for next year and the year after that.
That would be 7 years they would have had the young man and at that point they could let him go and find the next Martin in the draft. Guards are always available.
The why are we having such a hard time with the left guard

CelticPunk

Reaction score
Our offense is built around our OL and ball control. Trading Martin would leave us without a starting caliber guard (at either position - LG or RG). If you do that, you might as well start over on offense. In my opinion, our OL is the reason we can take advantage of Zeke's talent. If you look at it, we've been careful in free agency because we want to resign Martin, Zeke, Dak..., as well as already resigning Frederick and T Smith. We've planned and built everything around them. I know some want to change coaches and completely change schemes. But, that would take years to accomplish.

I know NE has been successful, but they are a completely different organization. They also have Tom Brady. Dak is a different style of QB. We can't just constantly compare our team to NE. We're not the same.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The Price Tag for Zack Martin Continues to Rise
by Kristi Scales
http://www.5pointsblue.com/the-price-tag-for-zack-martin-continues-to-rise/

xAP_17295801289704.png.pagespeed.ic.5m_oziYeph.jpg

All Pro right guard Zack Martin is currently on the books for $9.341 million in 2018. That’s his base salary as well as his salary cap hit after the Cowboys exercised the 5th year option on his rookie contract. However, that number will change as the team negotiates a long-term deal that he and team owner Jerry Jones hope will make Martin a Cowboy-for-life.

The price tag continues to go up, especially as free agency opened this week and new deals are being made. Free agent Andrew Norwell, formerly of the Carolina Panthers, reportedly has agreed to a deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars for 5 years and $65 million. Norwell’s reported average salary will be $13.3m with $30 million guaranteed.

Norwell will be the highest paid guard in the NFL…until Martin gets his deal negotiated with the Cowboys. Norwell and his agent set the market… and now Martin will break the bank.
When is Martin's contract up. I thought he had two years left. What ever happened to playing out your contract.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He’s an all pro linemen. You see how hard it is for teams to get stud linemen. We’ll resign him to a team friendly deal.

Just think. We could have drafted manziel instead of him. Pay Martin !

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree with you on the position, but it's hard to pass up a guy on the fast track to a gold jacket.

They could go for one of those 1st round guards and have the replacement for Martin ready for 2019, plus overlap on them for this year with 5 first round quality picks on the line, if you count Collins.

It's a thought. It would give them an option. And the value for us in the 1st might actually end up at G this year.
You still have to trade him before or during next season or just lose him. Why not trade him now while teams have cap space.

aria

Reaction score
Lol, some of you think replacing a guard is easy and will have little repercussions. Think again Longshanks!

The only reason Dak and Zeke and the Cowboys went 13-3 two years ago was due to the O line. We were able to control the clock by successfully running the ball, put Dak and Zeke behind a lesser O line and we would have been 8-8 that year.

I understand it’s a lot of money but the entire offense revolves around that O line and one player can make a difference. Ask the Gnats fan how Eric Flowers single handily cost their offense points over the past 2-3 years. Look what happened when Green went in against the Falcons.

The argument about one D lineman being able to make a bigger difference than one O lineman is a moot point. If you have one stud O lineman then he neutralizes that stud D lineman. Having one great O lineman also makes the job of the guys next to him easier. If there’s one area we can’t skimp on it’s the offensive line. Did any of you pay attention to the difference between last year and the year before with two guys missing? What about last year when Smith got hurt? It was night and day and now some of you want to let Martin walk and act like we can just plug some unproven guys in from the draft? No way, our offense would fall apart and Zeke would hardly be a factor.

diefree666

Reaction score
you can tell those that failed Football 101 as those that want to let Martin go. You never let go of a player that is the best in the NFL at what he does. Letting go of the best Guard we have had since LA in his prime is just plain stupid. Only dumber is those that say he is only a guard and you can always get another.