The Psychology of Backup Quarterback

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Last night on dcfanatic's radio show we talked about what could the coaching staff possibly have seen in Brad Johnson that he is in uniform this year. I thought I'd share with you my opinion last night.

We have now reached analysis paralysis.

In my opinion fans often under rate intelligence in a Quarterback as an intangible. At the same time Coaches over rate it.

Take Brad Johnson, even those of us who dislike him (that would be me) have to admit that he is a smart QB. I am quite sure that the coaches see a lot more of that than we do because they sit in film sessions with him.

Quarterbacks have to go through reads. Pre-snap they need to see how the Defense is lined up and right away find out if there is a mismatch. Is a LB trying to cover a WR because of the Offensive set? That kind of stuff. Then as the ball is snapped the QB has to know who the primary, secondary, tertiary and check down targets are for each play call. It is a lot to know. In a complicated Offense like Jason Garrett's it becomes even more important to the coaches.

So if they see in the film sessions that Brad Johnson is making the proper reads and knows the assignments, it elevates him in their views of his worth.

So you ask, "what about practice? Can't they see in practice that he has no arm?" It is pretty obvious to us in the actual games that he does not. Why is it not noticeable then in practice? Well, part of that is probably that in practice the Defense is not going full out to get to the Quarterback. He's wearing a red jersey which means "don't hit" and the players are going through drills at 75% speed. My theory is that Johnson is going at 100% in practice so to the coaches it looks like he still has more in the tank.

Game time, and he is now 25% too slow for a live Defense. The noodle armed dinosaur we have all come to loathe shows up. Now he does still make pretty decent reads. I can't deny that as I watch him. However, he cannot get the ball downfield so he is in constant check down. This draws the Defense in tighter and a lollipop throw is now a jump ball. Whoever gets the first break to the catch point has the advantage. Even if the WR is there first the ball is traveling slow enough that the DB should be able to make a play on a pretty fair percentage of passes.

Point blank, if the WR is not wide open, that pass is a crap shoot.

There are two types of backup Quarterbacks usually. One is a guy who has unreal physical skills. The other is the smart guy. If you have a smart guy with unreal physical skills he is a star, not a backup. It is very rare that a team will have two Quarterbacks with both attributes at the same time.

What we've been wanting is a backup Quarterback with the unreal physical skills. What the coaching staff wanted was a smart Quarterback who knew the Offense and could take advantage of the weapons we possess on the Offense. What they thought they had in Brad Johnson was an illusion. It was all done with smoke and mirrors. Don't get me wrong, he is a smart guy. But there isn't enough fiber in the world to unclog his arteries and bowels and give him a spring in his step. The man is shot. He has over stayed his welcome.

So the question becomes, why didn't Jerry and Wade do more to add a backup Quarterback this year? Well, they did try to build towards the future as Romo's backup. However, in my not so humble opinion they didn't try hard enough. Why not? Well, I think the answer to that lies in what we have as starters. Along the O-line we had 3 returning Pro Bowlers and 2 solid veterans. Behind them we had an elusive play making Quarterback. I think it never really dawned on them that Tony Romo would get hurt.

Naive? Oh heck yeah it is. No other way to spin it. I didn't want Bollinger and I never wanted Brad Johnson in the first place. I've been wanting us to Draft a Quarterback to groom forever. If they can't draft him, make a trade. The ironic thing is the guy I wanted us to Draft is the guy they've tried twice to trade for, John Beck. I wanted Beck because I felt he was a perfect backup option for this team. He is smart, and though he is not a guy with unreal physical skills, he does have a decent arm and a little mobility.

Miami was overloaded at Quarterback after they traded for FOB Chad Pennington. Going to admit to you openly that when they traded Josh McCown instead of Beck I was shocked. My guess is that McCown raised a bigger stink about the acquisition of Pennington since he had been brought in as the veteran to take this team while the hand picked Parcells future guy, Chad Henne, learned the ropes.

We tried to get Beck again at the trading deadline, but Miami wanted Anthony Henry in the deal. Terence Newman was injured. Adam Jones had just been re-introduced to the NFL gavel. We had two rookies and Alan Ball left if we sent them AH. Jerry balked and we were left stuck with Brad Johnson for this year. In the off season I won't be surprised at all if we go ahead and send them AH for Beck. Their wants may change by then, but you never know. Bowles loved him at Cleveland and he loved him here.

I called this thread "The Psychology of Backup Quarterback" for a reason. This stuff will drive you nuts.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I also think Garrett being buddies with him from their days in TB helped him stay longer than he should. And i blame Austin Miles for saving his butt.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I think the main problem with Brad has been that he was tested in pre-season and was able to move the team while the line was doing a good job. The line is no longer doing a good job, and Brad was trying not to turn the ball over while at the same time trying to get rid of it quickly. Not too many QB's have the ability and reflexes to make all of the computations and throw the ball accurately and safely right before they get leveled by the pass rush. Romo can barely do it, but he can do it more effectively because he is a great QB. Well, he can do it until one of the hits breaks something.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
We tried to get Beck again at the trading deadline, but Miami wanted Anthony Henry in the deal. Terence Newman was injured. Adam Jones had just been re-introduced to the NFL gavel. We had two rookies and Alan Ball left if we sent them AH. Jerry balked and we were left stuck with Brad Johnson for this year.
Uh, thank GAWD Jerry "balked" on that... A starting NFL corner for a scrub overaged backup QB that has no future with his current team?

Please tell me our injury/suspension situation at the time had nothing to do with the decision not to do that deal.

I hope Jerry slammed down the phone on Parcells or Ireland or whoever it was. I would've.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405075 said:
Uh, thank GAWD Jerry "balked" on that... A starting NFL corner for a scrub overaged backup QB that has no future with his current team?

Please tell me our injury/suspension situation at the time had nothing to do with the decision not to do that deal.

I hope Jerry slammed down the phone on Parcells or Ireland or whoever it was. I would've.
He has no future with his current team for only one reason. His "hands off Director of Football Operations" wants his guys in place and he was a Cam Cameron pick.

He's not a bad football player at all. Perfect backup, and his age is an advantage in some ways.

Bottom line is he is heady and has ability.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;2405112 said:
He has no future with his current team for only one reason. His "hands off Director of Football Operations" wants his guys in place and he was a Cam Cameron pick.

He's not a bad football player at all. Perfect backup, and his age is an advantage in some ways.

Bottom line is he is heady and has ability.

Hos, I normally agree with you but this time you are really out there my friend. Beck sucks! Horribly!

He played some last year and was terrible!

He played in 5 games and threw 1 TD and 3 INTs, had a 62.0 passer rating, was sacked 10 times and fumbled 7 times.

I fail to see any signs that he is "heady" or "has ability".

If this is the best that is available to us, God help us!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;2405149 said:
Hos, I normally agree with you but this time you are really out there my friend. Beck sucks! Horribly!

He played some last year and was terrible!

He played in 5 games and threw 1 TD and 3 INTs, had a 62.0 passer rating, was sacked 10 times and fumbled 7 times.

I fail to see any signs that he is "heady" or "has ability".

If this is the best that is available to us, God help us!
If you look at stats of QBs playing on horrible teams, they do tend to be bad.

Take these stats for instance. (I am not saying Beck will have the same success as this man.)

11 games
52.9 Comp. %
9 TDs
18 INTs
55.7 QB Rating

A lot of people failed to see that he had any ability too. Bad teams make a QBs stats look bad.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Oh, I might give Beck a try if it didn't cost anything, or cost very little... But I'd never trade a starting corner for him. That would be totally insane.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405162 said:
Oh, I might give Beck a try if it didn't cost anything, or cost very little... But I'd never trade a starting corner for him. That would be totally insane.

Jerry hasnt done that yet. But it wouldnt suprise me if he traded henry and carpenter for beck to miami.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

If our past dealing with Miami are any sign, we will give up just enough for the trade to be questionable till we see the player take some real work and can judge for ourselves. When was the last time we actually made out in a trade? We thought Holland was a good deal, but he can't see the field.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
By next season he won't be a starting CB. If Newman and Jones were both playing, he wouldn't be now. He'd be a very highly paid 4th CB. Nickel CB at best. Next year is the last year of his contract and he won't be resigned. It is a no risk, no reward kind of thing.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;2405188 said:
By next season he won't be a starting CB. If Newman and Jones were both playing, he wouldn't be now. He'd be a very highly paid 4th CB. Nickel CB at best. Next year is the last year of his contract and he won't be resigned. It is a no risk, no reward kind of thing.

So you would do that deal? :confused:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hostile;2404964 said:
Last night on dcfanatic's radio show we talked about what could the coaching staff possibly have seen in Brad Johnson that he is in uniform this year. I thought I'd share with you my opinion last night.

We have now reached analysis paralysis.

In my opinion fans often under rate intelligence in a Quarterback as an intangible. At the same time Coaches over rate it.

Take Brad Johnson, even those of us who dislike him (that would be me) have to admit that he is a smart QB. I am quite sure that the coaches see a lot more of that than we do because they sit in film sessions with him.

Quarterbacks have to go through reads. Pre-snap they need to see how the Defense is lined up and right away find out if there is a mismatch. Is a LB trying to cover a WR because of the Offensive set? That kind of stuff. Then as the ball is snapped the QB has to know who the primary, secondary, tertiary and check down targets are for each play call. It is a lot to know. In a complicated Offense like Jason Garrett's it becomes even more important to the coaches.

So if they see in the film sessions that Brad Johnson is making the proper reads and knows the assignments, it elevates him in their views of his worth.

So you ask, "what about practice? Can't they see in practice that he has no arm?" It is pretty obvious to us in the actual games that he does not. Why is it not noticeable then in practice? Well, part of that is probably that in practice the Defense is not going full out to get to the Quarterback. He's wearing a red jersey which means "don't hit" and the players are going through drills at 75% speed. My theory is that Johnson is going at 100% in practice so to the coaches it looks like he still has more in the tank.

Game time, and he is now 25% too slow for a live Defense. The noodle armed dinosaur we have all come to loathe shows up. Now he does still make pretty decent reads. I can't deny that as I watch him. However, he cannot get the ball downfield so he is in constant check down. This draws the Defense in tighter and a lollipop throw is now a jump ball. Whoever gets the first break to the catch point has the advantage. Even if the WR is there first the ball is traveling slow enough that the DB should be able to make a play on a pretty fair percentage of passes.

Point blank, if the WR is not wide open, that pass is a crap shoot.

There are two types of backup Quarterbacks usually. One is a guy who has unreal physical skills. The other is the smart guy. If you have a smart guy with unreal physical skills he is a star, not a backup. It is very rare that a team will have two Quarterbacks with both attributes at the same time.

What we've been wanting is a backup Quarterback with the unreal physical skills. What the coaching staff wanted was a smart Quarterback who knew the Offense and could take advantage of the weapons we possess on the Offense. What they thought they had in Brad Johnson was an illusion. It was all done with smoke and mirrors. Don't get me wrong, he is a smart guy. But there isn't enough fiber in the world to unclog his arteries and bowels and give him a spring in his step. The man is shot. He has over stayed his welcome.

So the question becomes, why didn't Jerry and Wade do more to add a backup Quarterback this year? Well, they did try to build towards the future as Romo's backup. However, in my not so humble opinion they didn't try hard enough. Why not? Well, I think the answer to that lies in what we have as starters. Along the O-line we had 3 returning Pro Bowlers and 2 solid veterans. Behind them we had an elusive play making Quarterback. I think it never really dawned on them that Tony Romo would get hurt.

Naive? Oh heck yeah it is. No other way to spin it. I didn't want Bollinger and I never wanted Brad Johnson in the first place. I've been wanting us to Draft a Quarterback to groom forever. If they can't draft him, make a trade. The ironic thing is the guy I wanted us to Draft is the guy they've tried twice to trade for, John Beck. I wanted Beck because I felt he was a perfect backup option for this team. He is smart, and though he is not a guy with unreal physical skills, he does have a decent arm and a little mobility.

Miami was overloaded at Quarterback after they traded for FOB Chad Pennington. Going to admit to you openly that when they traded Josh McCown instead of Beck I was shocked. My guess is that McCown raised a bigger stink about the acquisition of Pennington since he had been brought in as the veteran to take this team while the hand picked Parcells future guy, Chad Henne, learned the ropes.

We tried to get Beck again at the trading deadline, but Miami wanted Anthony Henry in the deal. Terence Newman was injured. Adam Jones had just been re-introduced to the NFL gavel. We had two rookies and Alan Ball left if we sent them AH. Jerry balked and we were left stuck with Brad Johnson for this year. In the off season I won't be surprised at all if we go ahead and send them AH for Beck. Their wants may change by then, but you never know. Bowles loved him at Cleveland and he loved him here.

I called this thread "The Psychology of Backup Quarterback" for a reason. This stuff will drive you nuts.

The voice of reason, nice read. What is FOB? I had never heard of Beck and the funny thing is I actually wanted McCown and both of them are in Miami, wow. I'd imagine if Henry's play doesn't improve they may no longer take him in trade. More realistically his durability factor. I always loved the guy but his hammy's make him look bad, time to move on I guess.

I'd be content if we drafted a somewhat mobile qb with an arm in the 5th or 6th round, somebody 6'3" or taller...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CowboyFan74;2405238 said:
The voice of reason, nice read. What is FOB? I had never heard of Beck and the funny thing is I actually wanted McCown and both of them are in Miami, wow. I'd imagine if Henry's play doesn't improve they may no longer take him in trade. More realistically his durability factor. I always loved the guy but his hammy's make him look bad, time to move on I guess.

I'd be content if we drafted a somewhat mobile qb with an arm in the 5th or 6th round, somebody 6'3" or taller...

John Beck played at BYU then went on a Mission (if i remember right) so when he came to the NFL he was a little older then most rookies. But, he's a good QB that really has not had a chance YET!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I am sure our scouting dept will address the QB position in next yrs draft.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
After reading the rest of the thread I think I remember Beck now. Hard to say what any QB would do in the driver seat of a Lamborghini...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2405238 said:

Friend of Bill. A former player of his that he acquires for a new team.

The Dallas version of FOB.

Terry Glenn
Vinny Testaverde
Aaron Glenn
Ryan Young
Drew Bledsoe
Jason Ferguson
Jason Fabini
Richie Anderson
Keyshawn Johnson
Dedric Ward
Chad Eaton

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405242 said:
Brad "He Sucks" Johnson.

I wanted Beck in that Draft. Nothing has changed my opinion of him. Soild backup who could develop. It is a critical need.