The Real Draft Dilemma - Cap Versus Window of Opportunity

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
As much as I will tell you I am not a draft guru, nor have any special insight into what this team should, or will do in 2021. But I have considered this and believe it comes down to the lesser of two evils, if you will.

Jerry is the top evil and could screw up the 1st over-all pick if left to his own devises, but here is the deal to me.

Some of the mocks now have Zach Wilson from BYU climbing the draft board. As high as in the top four. So as it stands, Dallas could be picking top five, and perhaps as high as top 3. But any event, 3 or 4 would create a decision to make that will impact this franchise for years to come.

If Lawrence goes first and Fields second, that might leave Wilson there when Dallas picks.

If Dallas decides to stick with Dak, the issue for me is his health. The draft will be held before Dak is expected to be back and work-out to show he has overcome this injury. I do not trust anything Stephen says about Dak ahead of schedule. Do any of us really know if Dak can not end up as Wentz with his injury, and have lingering psychological issues? Dak possesses self discipline and mental toughness. But can anyone say for certain he will return to his former ability?

So the question will come down to Dak versus a rookie.

If Dak can make a comeback to 100%, the team needs to draft Sewell. The offensive line is not really that far away as might appear, if Collins comes back. I understand the defense draft, but Dak needs protection and this running game needs holes for these two backs to prosper. This team has the potential top be the best offense in football if protection is correct.

But, the elephant in the room is the cap hit Dak will cause. I, for one, believe Dak can win a championship if the team is assembled around him to be defensive top ten and have a top five offensive line. But his salary, as so many have pointed out, is a huge hit to the fixing the holes we see.

So then, drafting a rookie means your window of opportunity changes. You are rolling the dice Wilson, or whomever drops to Dallas as a QB can become a championship level player. One of the draft scouting reports stated Fields reminds the author of Dak. This may have been more in regard to size than anything else.

So, is this team willing to bank on a very expensive player which would curtail using FA to fill in spots?

Or are they willing to push back the window and bet on the come on a rookie, who will give the financial flexibility to the team to build? Can he become a player who can lead the team to the NFC Championship game and then win two and call it a day? Lots of speculation there.

Long post. Sorry. But I would like to hear from people what they consider the best course of action.

No Dak hate, please. This is about using sound judgment and not some emotional diatribe which resolves nothing. Thanks

waving monkey

Reaction score
Thats a reasonable position and one that will undoubtedly be debated in the war room.
Im riding the Dak horse I've seen enough to know he's not a football god but he sits on the Throne of Throws.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would get Dak and his agent at the negotiating table before the draft and give him a one time offer. If Dak signs the contract then move on to the draft accordingly.
If not take Zack Wilson .
I only take Sewell if Dak is signed.