CFZ The real problem I have with that playoff loss

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've had others to get over but this one hangs with me for one reason.

He fires the HC and states he wants one with experience.

He hires one with not only experience, 13 years, but with a QB pedigree as well in a 12 hour interview.

That HC brings back the former OC who has already been offered the OC job at UW.

The offense struggles in that playoff game and really is the reason they lost. The defense only gave up 23 and that's a manageable number with the league's #1 offense.

Here's my problem.

While the offense is struggling, the offensive coach with the most experience, Mike McCarthy, not only stays out of it but after the game volunteers the unimaginable, he tells the media he stayed out of it on purpose. Why?

I have never heard any HC in a post game loss say anything like this? What HC is going to stay out of it? Have you ever seen a HC losing his mind with his coaches and getting involved? All the time. LOL, Saban does that after one bad play with his staff. Fassel demoted Payton within the season.

Was he told to stay out of it? Is that why he delivered that message which could not have gone over well with the Joneses. I thought this is one of the craziest things I have ever heard any HC say and coaches do not usually throw their subordinates under the bus but he sure as hell did with that statement. That, was on him, not me.

If that's over and done with, nothing to worry about but is that just the surface area of the real problem swirling underneath? Has that and do they even want that corrected?

I stated after McC was hired that he voluntarily brought Moore back as OC but I think I was wrong. I connected them letting him walk and his interviewing with UW that ship had sailed. It was merely cruising in the harbor.

But what if the two reasons McC got that job in only 12 hours was his ability to put the owner at ease that he could continue to be the face and voice of the team and he agreed to bring Moore back?

Are they so enamored with Kellen Moore that they would order the HC to stay out of his way in that playoff game? Because how else can you explain that? McC kept himself out of it? Not a chance. No HC does that.

What they didn't count on was McC confessing that he stayed out of it at the pc. Did you happen to catch the stunned silence when he said that? That did not go over well and I am surprised we haven't seen a lot more about that.

Now, what we get is "I am going to get more involved in everything. Even going to fix those pesky penalties". What HC says that? "OK, enough of this foolin' around, time to get down to work. OK, OK, I'll do my job, back off"!

Is it a coincidence that it was the better teams the Cowboys struggled against? The teams with better coaching staffs and defenses? The Cowboys were flat lost and outplayed in that first half and they didn't look like that had a clue what to do.

I think the real problems with this team and the offense may run deeper than we know and it is the set up that is the culprit.

McC is saying all the right things now because he was told to do that to keep his job? Has anything really changed? Well, one thing, the talent level is down on the offense for a fact and so far who do you think is running the football side of this franchise?

When the fault is within the plan, nothing gets better until the plan changes.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My problem with it is simple but goes largely ignored by the fan base.

The reason why we lost to the 49ers is the same reason why we lost to the Rams in our last playoff game. We couldn't stop the run. Gave up nearly 400 yards rushing in those games. You can't win in the postseason that way.

It went unaddressed after the Rams. Amazingly, unless you realize how incompetent and fake this front office is, it's still unaddressed now.

Until that changes this team has no chance of being a contender. No matter how many cornerbacks they stockpile next week.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

He hires one with not only experience, 13 years, but with a QB pedigree as well in a 12 hour interview.

That HC brings back the former OC who has already been offered the OC job at UW.

The offense struggles in that playoff game and really is the reason they lost. The defense only gave up 23 and that's a manageable number with the league's #1 offense.

Here's my problem.

While the offense is struggling, the offensive coach with the most experience, Mike McCarthy, not only stays out of it but after the game volunteers the unimaginable, he tells the media he stayed out of it on purpose. Why?

I have never heard any HC in a post game loss say anything like this? What HC is going to stay out of it? Have you ever seen a HC losing his mind with his coaches and getting involved? All the time. LOL, Saban does that after one bad play with his staff. Fassel demoted Payton within the season.

Was he told to stay out of it? Is that why he delivered that message which could not have gone over well with the Joneses. I thought this is one of the craziest things I have ever heard any HC say and coaches do not usually throw their subordinates under the bus but he sure as hell did with that statement. That, was on him, not me.

If that's over and done with, nothing to worry about but is that just the surface area of the real problem swirling underneath? Has that and do they even want that corrected?

I stated after McC was hired that he voluntarily brought Moore back as OC but I think I was wrong. I connected them letting him walk and his interviewing with UW that ship had sailed. It was merely cruising in the harbor.

But what if the two reasons McC got that job in only 12 hours was his ability to put the owner at ease that he could continue to be the face and voice of the team and he agreed to bring Moore back?

Are they so enamored with Kellen Moore that they would order the HC to stay out of his way in that playoff game? Because how else can you explain that? McC kept himself out of it? Not a chance. No HC does that.

What they didn't count on was McC confessing that he stayed out of it at the pc. Did you happen to catch the stunned silence when he said that? That did not go over well and I am surprised we haven't seen a lot more about that.

Now, what we get is "I am going to get more involved in everything. Even going to fix those pesky penalties". What HC says that? "OK, enough of this foolin' around, time to get down to work. OK, OK, I'll do my job, back off"!

Is it a coincidence that it was the better teams the Cowboys struggled against? The teams with better coaching staffs and defenses? The Cowboys were flat lost and outplayed in that first half and they didn't look like that had a clue what to do.

I think the real problems with this team and the offense may run deeper than we know and it is the set up that is the culprit.

McC is saying all the right things now because he was told to do that to keep his job? Has anything really changed? Well, one thing, the talent level is down on the offense for a fact and so far who do you think is running the football side of this franchise?

welcome to Dallas Cowboys Drama. the loss wasn't on one person. QB, WRs, OL, Offense, Defense, HC, OC, DC all had a hand in it. they contributed to the loss. the game plan was simple for SF. run the ball. control the clock, which they did very effectively. stop the run, make dallas one dimentional because they could pass rush with 4 and drop 7 into coverage, which they did. they knew they didn't need to score tons of points and knew they couldn't score tons of points. they scored right around their average. there were quite a few questionable calls and quite a few plays Dak missed and Zeke wasn't running and had cement shoes, Pollard wasn't used effectively, Cooper quit half way through the game, defense gave up 170 yards. QB was sacked 5 times. we had 14 penalties...7 of them pre-snap making managable situations unmanagble....gave up 89 penalty yards. we played stupid. coached stupid.

this was a bad game all around...and I am not excusing the defense. when you give up 170 yards rushing.you are taking part of the blame. ..before everyone excuses the defense from being tired, blah blah blah, they rushed the ball 16 times the first half, 3 at the end of the half to kill the clock.

Zordon

Reaction score

The reason why we lost to the 49ers is the same reason why we lost to the Rams in our last playoff game. We couldn't stop the run. Gave up nearly 400 yards rushing in those games. You can't win in the postseason that way.

It went unaddressed after the Rams. Amazingly, unless you realize how incompetent and fake this front office is, it's still unaddressed now.

Until that changes this team has no chance of being a contender. No matter how many cornerbacks they stockpile next week.
Give them a break, Brent Urban was hurt.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I never was impressed with Moore. If he was forced on McCarthy I wouldn't be surprised. The Coach has one more year left to fix things. He better take control of everything. Better to go out on your own turns than being another puppet.
he may someday be a good OC, but I argued this two years ago when Jerry forced him on Garrett and then probably forced him on MM. he is green. he has a lot to learn about being an OC and a coach. this is NFL. give any DC enough tape and they will figure you out and you have to constantly adjust and that's where Moore suffered. his in game adjustments and his game to game adjustments....DCs figured him out and he didn't adjust and defenses had their way with us.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The biggest problem I had with the playoff loss was we came out flat and got beat exactly the way most felt we would get beat by being punched in the mouth in the trenches. Heading into the game most felt the 49ers were more physical than us and they proved it. We didn’t even look excited to play the game. Most of our players looked like they couldn’t wait to clean out their lockers and start the offseason. Here we are less than two weeks before the draft and fans still aren’t over the loss and are still talking about it.

erod

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost because they were outclassed. Good teams beat Dallas in games that matter virtually always.

That game wasn't really competitive.

There's no substance to this team or organization. It's a clown show.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But they only gave up 23 points to the Niners and the penalties were self-inflicted wounds. Their offense should have won that game.

Cmac

Reaction score

Here's my problem.

Examination #1: I stated after McC was hired that he voluntarily brought Moore back as OC but I think I was wrong. I connected them letting him walk and his interviewing with UW that ship had sailed. It was merely cruising in the harbor. (Voluntarily?, I don't think so.)

Examination #2: Are they so enamored with Kellen Moore that they would order the HC to stay out of his way in that playoff game? Because how else can you explain that? McC kept himself out of it? Not a chance. No HC does that. (KMoore is HC in waiting, you don't see that?)

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Stop the run, run the ball. That's champions football. And that's exactly what SF did to us in that game. They maintained their balance while making us one dimensional. If we want to get pass the divisional round of the playoffs, we have to be able to make teams one dimensional. Defense matters.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The problem I have with that loss is it was predictable. So much so I bet on the Niners because I don't waste money on homer bets.

Many suspected they'd run the ball on Dallas - they did.
Many suspected they'd get pressure on Dak - they did.
Many suspected Dallas would struggle to run - they did.

Nothing about that loss was surprising. Dallas' weaknesses were exposed in the playoffs, again. That's what sticks with me. :facepalm:

bewp7

Reaction score
yes it is interesting lol

i would love to know the real behind the scene power dyanamic for this team with coaching

cuz some thing does stink with kellen but maybe not idk maybe it is mccarthy being bad and stupid or maybe he is mad kellen was force on him but he knew that before he took the job idk!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Examination #1: I stated after McC was hired that he voluntarily brought Moore back as OC but I think I was wrong. I connected them letting him walk and his interviewing with UW that ship had sailed. It was merely cruising in the harbor. (Voluntarily?, I don't think so.)

Examination #2: Are they so enamored with Kellen Moore that they would order the HC to stay out of his way in that playoff game? Because how else can you explain that? McC kept himself out of it? Not a chance. No HC does that. (KMoore is HC in waiting, you don't see that?)
No, I do not see that; the Joneses see that. But then they saw Garrett as the same thing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem I have with that loss is it was predictable. So much so I bet on the Niners because I don't waste money on homer bets.

Many suspected they'd run the ball on Dallas - they did.
Many suspected they'd get pressure on Dak - they did.
Many suspected Dallas would struggle to run - they did.

Nothing about that loss was surprising. Dallas' weaknesses were exposed in the playoffs, again. That's what sticks with me. :facepalm:
Many suspected they would out tough Dallas - they did.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Here's my problem.

Fact of the matter is the Niners were a better team and better coached. End of story.

They did the same thing to Rogers in GB the next week.

Cowboys defense barely showed up either. Little pressure on Garrappalo and they couldnt stop the run.

Oline played its worst game of the year. One of many. Penalties destroyed us. Complete team meltdown that was predictable and may people predicted it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
he may someday be a good OC, but I argued this two years ago when Jerry forced him on Garrett and then probably forced him on MM. he is green. he has a lot to learn about being an OC and a coach. this is NFL. give any DC enough tape and they will figure you out and you have to constantly adjust and that's where Moore suffered. his in game adjustments and his game to game adjustments....DCs figured him out and he didn't adjust and defenses had their way with us.

So it was Moores fault that the line had 10 holding penalties?

No, but it was definitely Moores fault that he continued to feature the plodding, slow, Zeke.

But what adjustments do you make when your Oline keeps holding and ruining drives? Is there one?

Big D

Reaction score

:hammer:OMG! we agree on something! :omg: