The Real Reason why most of us panic after every cowboy game

triplets92

Reaction score
I was watching the game Sunday when an all to familiar feeling dawned on me after watching out lead dwindle to just one point...."we might loose" The feeling was a mixture of confusion, anger and embarrassment....the same feelings I've had the past 12 playoff runs. I believe that all of us who panic after every win or every loss is due mainly to the fact that we who dissect every play and every W or L are terrified of another loss in the playoffs. I wish I can say that I'm not one of those people but sadly I am. I'm what they call O.C.D when it comes to the cowboys...my wife hates it. So on the list of my top fears...taking a L in the playoffs is towering on the top of the list (it’s sad really). I know those of you who do not panic like I do and most of us on this board is just as scared of it happening again but seem to handle it better. I know I might get hazed for this post but I just wanted to shed some light on why I feel there is so much panic going on. I want this team to be perfect and not show any sign of weakness that can be exposed come playoff/super bowl time.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
You don't realize there is a shot, before every game starts, that we might actually lose? :p

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
triplets92;2315896 said:
I was watching the game Sunday when an all to familiar feeling dawned on me after watching out lead dwindle to just one point...."we might loose" The feeling was a mixture of confusion, anger and embarrassment....the same feelings I've had the past 12 playoff runs. I believe that all of us who panic after every win or every loss is due mainly to the fact that we who dissect every play and every W or L are terrified of another loss in the playoffs. I wish I can say that I'm not one of those people but sadly I am. I'm what they call O.C.D when it comes to the cowboys...my wife hates it. So on the list of my top fears...taking a L in the playoffs is towering on the top of the list (it’s sad really). I know those of you who do not panic like I do and most of us on this board is just as scared of it happening again but seem to handle it better. I know I might get hazed for this post but I just wanted to shed some light on why I feel there is so much panic going on. I want this team to be perfect and not show any sign of weakness that can be exposed come playoff/super bowl time.

The first step.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
triplets92;2315896 said:
I want this team to be perfect and not show any sign of weakness that can be exposed come playoff/super bowl time.

It's fine to "want" that, but it's completely asinine to EXPECT it... at least, I've been following the Boys since 1960, and the best teams I've ever rooted for never came close to those expectations... for that matter, the best teams I ever saw-- up to and including the 17-0 Dolphins-- never reached that level...

triplets92

Reaction score
silverbear;2315913 said:
It's fine to "want" that, but it's completely asinine to EXPECT it... at least, I've been following the Boys since 1960, and the best teams I've ever rooted for never came close to those expectations... for that matter, the best teams I ever saw-- up to and including the 17-0 Dolphins-- never reached that level...
you're absolutly right that's why I said I want them to be perfect but I don't expect that they win every game. after watching the giants beat us up and win the superbowl I really can't stand to watch another NFC east team go all the way this year

TX_Yid

Reaction score
I'm definitely OCD when watching the Cowboys.. I was convinced that unless I sat in a particular spot o the sofa that the cowboys will lose.

This Sunday I was sat in the correct place until the wife comes along and wants to move me.. we're up 17-0 so what can the harm be.

I "enjoyed" the erosion of the 17 point lead in silent fury on another seat as my wife napped on the sofa... usually I would move back to the "winning seat" but on Sunday I decided the Boys could dig themselves out of the hole without my help and they did! so I'm going to sit where I damn well like in future and when we win a playoff game my OCD will be gone.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TX_Yid;2315929 said:
I'm definitely OCD when watching the Cowboys.. I was convinced that unless I sat in a particular spot o the sofa that the cowboys will lose.

This Sunday I was sat in the correct place until the wife comes along and wants to move me.. we're up 17-0 so what can the harm be.

I "enjoyed" the erosion of the 17 point lead in silent fury on another seat as my wife napped on the sofa... usually I would move back to the "winning seat" but on Sunday I decided the Boys could dig themselves out of the hole without my help and they did! so I'm going to sit where I damn well like in future and when we win a playoff game my OCD will be gone.

Next time you tell her to go sleep somewhere else while the game is on. :laugh2:

aikemirv

Reaction score
I hate it when we lose. It ruins my day. I am in a bad mood and am not real nice to be around. I wish I was not like that, I am ashamed of the way I respond to my kids when the Boys are playing bad.

That said, when we win I usually try not to focus on the negative because that takes the enjoyment out of winning.

A lot of times this board takes the enjoyment out of winning because of the effort to dissect every single mistake. I was very close to not visiting this board yesterday for that very fact.

I knew Romo would get bashed and I just hate to see that after what he has done for the Cowboys and the fan base over the past 2 years. He has revitalized the whole fan base to a level that we expect to go to the Superbowl.

But yet, now he is held to an even higher standard that he is not allowed to throw 16 int's this season even though he threw 19 last year. He can't fumble or try to make a play even though he did that many times last year and made the play.

That is Romo. I would like him to improve his care of the ball but I am not going to come in here and start a thread to raise concern about his shortcoming when his shortcoming is a big part of what makes him a great player!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
TX_Yid;2315929 said:

Dude! That was about the time I put my white Cowboys hat on. Up till then I had the Blue one on and I know I can't do that during home games that start at 3:15 when it's overcast. :bang2:

So, I saved you by going and getting the white hat and you were saving me by sitting in the right seat.

Let's not screw up a good thing.

Stay in that seat. :eek:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
aikemirv;2315944 said:
I hate it when we lose. It ruins my day. I am in a bad mood and am not real nice to be around. I wish I was not like that, I am ashamed of the way I respond to my kids when the Boys are playing bad.

That said, when we win I usually try not to focus on the negative because that takes the enjoyment out of winning.

A lot of times this board takes the enjoyment out of winning because of the effort to dissect every single mistake. I was very close to not visiting this board yesterday for that very fact.

I knew Romo would get bashed and I just hate to see that after what he has done for the Cowboys and the fan base over the past 2 years. He has revitalized the whole fan base to a level that we expect to go to the Superbowl.

But yet, now he is held to an even higher standard that he is not allowed to throw 16 int's this season even though he threw 19 last year. He can't fumble or try to make a play even though he did that many times last year and made the play.

That is Romo. I would like him to improve his care of the ball but I am not going to come in here and start a thread to raise concern about his shortcoming when his shortcoming is a big part of what makes him a great player!

I used to be the same way until I realized there was nothing I could do to change it. So why get upset about it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Apprehensive?" Possibly. "Panic?" No.

I would be apprehensive believing that I may have left the clothing iron on and my house burning down as a result of my negligence. I would panic after arriving back home to see my home going up in flames.

Some fans may panic after a win or loss due to them not fundamentally understanding that they're not in any control whatsoever with how well or badly their team plays. Other fans may only feel apprehensive about how well or badly their team plays because they expect more or less, but know that, in the final analysis, they're only spectators.

It may or may not be a big difference, but there is a difference nonetheless.

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
The real reason I panic is actually two fold ...

A. The Giants won the Super Bowl last year, and I live in Giants country (North Jersey). It sucks to have to deal with Giants fans rubbing a Super Bowl victory in your face when we obviously have the more talented team.

B. We play in the NFC East. We're 4-1 and we're THIRD! We'd be at least tied for first in any other division except the AFC South. Every game is huge!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
triplets92;2315896 said:

The other teams players and coaches are paid also, and they already know our strengths and weaknesses. It just a matter of executing the plays better than the other teams.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Panic?

that is a bad term. anyone who "panics" watching grown, overpaid men play sports is sorta scary. (well maybe if they're foolish enough to place heavy wagers that could damage their finances)

OTOH many of us get annoyed at the sheer ineptitude of how our staff teaches, coaches, prepares and creates a plan for said overpaid men wearing our favorite uniform.

It's sickening.

triplets92;2315896 said:

31smackdown

Reaction score
I think the problem is that we see things that we know will cause the team to lose games to good teams. Like giving up the inside run.. it gives you flashbacks to the same issue from years ago when hard running RB's would just run straight through the defense for 5-6 yards a carry and they could do nothing about it. After reading that Tank was banged up I felt a little better, but stopping the run is always my biggest concern.

I don't mind giving up passes so much, good teams will complete passes unless you get more pressure to alter their timing and accuracy... So getting no pressure bothers me. I think we all hoped that Dallas would be getting a little more pressure than they have, but it hasn't been terrible. Hopefully that will improve a little.

Basically I think we all believe that this team has too much talent to not execute at a very high level. Actually we know they can execute at a high level, because we have seen it, but then they get inconsistant and look sloppy and that's what most fans get annoyed by.

So, are our expectations high?.. yes.. but it's because we believe that the team has the talent to be that good.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Maybe the board should close down for 48hours after a win or loss, by the time it re-opens, we're back to being sane. (most of us that is)

MONT17

Reaction score
4 me I have no other team that I care about if they win or lose in fact I don't even like it when ppl talk about any other sport. thr r a lot of Cowboy fans who only follow 1 team and I'm sorry 16 games is not enough! So ppl can cry about ppl crying about the boys all they want it will never end! This team has all the talent to win it all and when they don't its dissapointing! like someone close to u drugin thier life away!