The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Fine, so this explodes Dak's winning percentage to 40% for this season and Andy, GG and Nooch had a 36% winning percentage.with the same team.

It is splitting hairs because there is no tangible difference to our record with Dak starting in week 4 of 2019. This whole team has sucked in all areas, Dak included, since the 3-0 start of 2019.

Dak is a part of the Cowboys and the Cowboys have sucked the last two years. Dak has been average in most games with a couple great games and a couple bad games.

This team needs to be blown up and completely rebuilt for several reasons. Attitude, entitlement, talent, bad contracts and change of culture.

Dak is an above average franchise QB on a below average team and he makes the games a little more exciting but in the end it's the same results. We lose to good teams and we beat bad teams. If we sign Dak to a 42 million dollar deal for 3 years our cap will be killed and our below average roster will be worse.

It's not that I'm against Dak. I'm not, in fact I would love to keep Dak. I would be jumping for joy if Dak pulled a Tom Brady and played for 20-25 million. But he won't and if I was him I wouldn't either. I'd get every penny I can. I want to make this very, very clear. If we traded for Wilson I would feel the exact same way as I would if we sign Dak. This team sucks and if we have a 40 million dollar QB we will suck and be 8-8 at best. Patrick Mahomes and Brady in his prime could not save this roster.

So I'm not against Dak. I'm against a 40-45 million dollar salary killing the cap. If we have that, regardless who the QB is, we will be average.
again, context matters as I said.... Dalton beat 3 4 win teams, with their back up QBs and with the help of 9 turnovers, a defensive and special teams score...by contrast that same defense was giving up HISTORICALLY BAD numbers of 36+ points a game...

Dak is clearly and obviously a top 10 QB, closer to a top 5, than to a #10....there is no argument there.

and I like the fact, you are blaming team short comings on Dak, and dismissing the defense, the coaches...Dak is supposed to overcome all of that dysfunction and getting to 8-8 was great onto itself because of that.

and if you don't believe in Dak, then why do you want to keep him. if you don't think he is going to get you there, why even pay 20-25M..... Brady took that money, because he is been in the league for 20+ years now. has a wife that makes and has made more money than him and he is on his 4 or 5th or is it 6th contract. he can pick and choose what he wants.....

and I agree with you, until we fix the defense, this team is as good as 8-8.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So I was reading some of my posts from today and yesterday. If I came across as snarky, aggressive or angry I did not mean to. I'm specifically talking to @Diehardblues and @CowboysFaninHouston, if you picked up agitation or anger directed at you from me I meant no disrespect. Any emotion that comes out in my posts is due to passion for the Cowboys and frustration with how the organization built this roster and mismanaged players.

Lol, it's almost emotional self mutilation being a fan of this team these days.
thank you, appreciate the post and acknowledgement. highly respect your approach. I feel the same way....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This situation isn't about Prescott and is he worth 40M, is any QB with that to a team challenged to build a defense and average, at best, at drafting D players? Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers and Wilson could not take this team where you want to go. Rodgers and Wilson have better defenses than Dallas and couldn't take them there. And what did KC and TB pay their QB's this past season?

We are spending way too much time on one player, one position, that is not going to carry a team built like this one. Extending this QB does nothing more than polish the bend and nothing to fix the break.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Brady worked with NE for several years so that his team could sign players to help him get to 6 SB's. Brady is about winning while Dak is just about his Quan. Good kid but he's just not a top 10 QB. Time to move on and rebuild the team.
Brady's first contract was top 5 in the league...so lets not make it that he is a messiah in NE uniform....he also had bilicheck for a headcoach. him alone is worth 2, 3 extra wins a year. and Brady's wife makes heck of a lot more money than Brady...he could afford to take less, still be super duper rich.

and on that note...Brady did it...who else? everyone keeps talking about what brady did. what about Wilson? Ryan? Rodgers? Watson? Stafford? etc.....none of them took a hometown discount as everyone calls it.....

the fact is the difference is only $3,$4 M a year...what bilicheck can do with a $4M player is quite different than what Jones and Garrett could do..

Brady is the exception not the rule in the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I was reading some of my posts from today and yesterday. If I came across as snarky, aggressive or angry I did not mean to. I'm specifically talking to @Diehardblues and @CowboysFaninHouston, if you picked up agitation or anger directed at you from me I meant no disrespect. Any emotion that comes out in my posts is due to passion for the Cowboys and frustration with how the organization built this roster and mismanaged players.

Lol, it's almost emotional self mutilation being a fan of this team these days.
Hey, we're all snarky with those 2 posters.:cool:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady's first contract was top 5 in the league...so lets not make it that he is a messiah in NE uniform....he also had bilicheck for a headcoach. him alone is worth 2, 3 extra wins a year. and Brady's wife makes heck of a lot more money than Brady...he could afford to take less, still be super duper rich.

and on that note...Brady did it...who else? everyone keeps talking about what brady did. what about Wilson? Ryan? Rodgers? Watson? Stafford? etc.....none of them took a hometown discount as everyone calls it.....

the fact is the difference is only $3,$4 M a year...what bilicheck can do with a $4M player is quite different than what Jones and Garrett could do..

When the cap became an issue for Belichick is when Brady began giving a discount. Belichick was already trying to get Brady's successor and Brady realized his legacy would suffer if he got traded so he played ball. After that last deal, Kraft even said Tom had no choice if he wanted to stay with the team.

Belichick's MO doesn't change even with the QB. He realized Jones and Collins would break his formula so he traded them and just let Trey Flowers walk, didn't even tag him. Belichick is the only HC that truly believes it's all about the 53 and has no loyalty to any 1 player, even the QB.

LittleD

Reaction score

Just saying the Brady is about winning it all not just money. Guess what, none of the guys on your list has more than 1SB. If you count results in a career, Brady getting top 5 salary was a steal for NE. Brady is the best ever and Mahomes has a lot of work to do.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Good luck finding a decent QB unless you draft one. Which will take another 1-4 years to fully develop. Trade for and give up some picks but who is really out there besides Cam? Either way you slice any young or established QB on Dak level or higher will be asking for 38M or better. Andy Dalton isn't the answer and we all know that. Right now this team is wasting time and money. Be a grown up and move on from this situation.

Not all QBs need 1-4 years to develop. I am not saying it is easy, but sometimes you can get a guy like Brady or Mahomes.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
everyone keeps talking about what brady did. what about Wilson? Ryan? Rodgers? Watson? Stafford? etc.....none of them took a hometown discount as everyone calls it.....
did any of them try to force the contract into a window that allowed the team no maneuverability? If he's confident in himself he could have taken the longer deal that was offered to him and still come up for a new contract after the new TV deal money is in place. Only greed says you got to get the first bite of that apple.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just saying the Brady is about winning it all not just money. Guess what, none of the guys on your list has more than 1SB. If you count results in a career, Brady getting top 5 salary was a steal for NE. Brady is the best ever and Mahomes has a lot of work to do.
like I said Brady is exception......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The bigger question ; is Dak not good enough or the team?

Dak has shown the ability to beat teams with winning records. The team hadn’t recently.

Hopefully our football guys in the front office and on the sidelines are better evaluators than we are.

Unfortunately the fact we didn’t get a deal done in recent years is going to cost us more to sign our QB or completely lose him. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football.

And my response was not intended to be “ the answer” but merely answering his question.

Dak and the team, are one in the same.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
did any of them try to force the contract into a window that allowed the team no maneuverability? If he's confident in himself he could have taken the longer deal that was offered to him and still come up for a new contract after the new TV deal money is in place. Only greed says you got to get the first bite of that apple.
each negotiation is different, plus, they got a contract extension, ton of money ahead of their contract ending. they wanted to make sure they become FA as soon as the new television contracts go into effect. Dak played to the end of his contract. Jones insisted on a 5 year deal and Dak actually wanted a shorter, lesser money contract. Jones' didn't want that.... Why is it when players negotiate tough its called greed, but for owners we feel sorry and they take no blame.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s not up to us the fans to decide what’s fair money. That’s to be determined by those negotiating.

The players should always be looking out for their own self interest. And optimize their value.

umm Hello, not a thing we discus in here is up to the fans, its all for fun debates with nearly no validity at all on

who to cut ,who to sign what to pay them, who should start, who should sit ,who suks, etc etc all hyperbole and has zero impact on actual NFL team decsions. This is the equivalent of playing Battleship[ board game vs actually serving on war ship and having been in battle..those on board games claiming knowledge because they are the top gamer is what Zoners try and do when they question everything and actual owner/GM does..its baseless..

your point didnt land because this place is all fantasy chit chat and thats where it ends..so most fans think Dak at over 35 is huge mistake regardless of what happens looking around the league at owners realizing this and trading way their mistakes at high cost ..why should jerry make the same mistake..??

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not all QBs need 1-4 years to develop. I am not saying it is easy, but sometimes you can get a guy like Brady or Mahomes.
4 out of 5 first round QBs fail or are average..... the statistics is worse for other rounds. and if you think it will take lets say 2,3 years to develop, if you luck into one, then come time to pay, salaries are only going up and then what? you want to go draft again? Draft is a gamble.....if you think its ok to gamble and take long shots, then by all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.