The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Before Dak, Quincy Carter was the last starting quarterback Dallas drafted. They already drafted the golden goose in 2016, they just messed up by not signing him a few years ago.

Should Dak move on in 2022, they'll pick up one of these old has-beens before they ever draft a starting quarterback again. It's Jerry's nature.
which means more mediocrity for years to come....that's jerry for 25+ years

texbumthelife

Reaction score
in that case, I rather go with Dannuci....lets put him under fire and let him learn...difference between Danucci and Dalton is 2 wins probably....lets develop the kid

The only feasible reason to play Dinucci, as disastrously as he played last season, is for tanking purposes. But, if you're taking it better be for a QB, and if that's the case, just pay what you have to in order to get Wilson this year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
what the record? hes the leader isnt he? yards and production are nice but list all his fumbles add him to his INts and then W-L and playoff appearances he hasn't had now 3-5 years??

I realize its team game but why pay QB that kind of dough if thats going to be our Record regardless of whos to blame for the losses..seems to me we can achieve average to below 500 records with different much cheaper qbs until we fix the rest of the team..If dak cant help with team friendly deal and give the FO a better flexibility, i say use him and lose him..its time we are at crossroads and well we are losing with him so why not lose with a cheap qb maybe rookie learning while we push the effort to rebuild the defense and establish a new culture ..??

I rather do it with Dak here but not what he and his agent are holding out for..we would just be the Texans with 38mil dollar qb and a 4-12 record..SMH reality check
40 Interceptions in 5 years...worst year was 2017 with 13 that ranked around 8th in the league along with 6 other QBs...
he has had 25 fumbles in 5 years....with the worst year being 2018, with 8. by comparison,
2019 -
Lamar Jackson, 10 fumbles
Josh allen had 16
watson had 11
wilson had 9
Prescott had 6

Jackson had 15
Prescott had 12
Mahomes had 11
Wilson had 10
Allen had 8

Wilson had 14
Brady had 8
Dak had 4

so the fumbles, we all want 0, but its about what some of the other top QBs have had during a similar period....

he is 1-2 in the playoffs, by comparison Watson is 1-2 in the playoffs....wilson has been 1-3 in the past 4 years.

and it seems that you are placing sole blame for losses on Dak.

and you are right, we can get cheaper QBs and get blown out easily and never have a chance to make a comeback....basically against any average or above average team, watch the 1st quarter of Dalton leading this team, see the team get blown out, watch the offense suck, then go watch other games....we however were capable of beating a bunch of 4 win teams, playing their back up QBs....so perhaps we can ask NFL to only set up a schedule for us to play those type teams and we could have a chance....hmmm, now there is a thought

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The only feasible reason to play Dinucci, as disastrously as he played last season, is for tanking purposes. But, if you're taking it better be for a QB, and if that's the case, just pay what you have to in order to get Wilson this year.
so our defense sucks. all you all Dak detractors complain, if we pay him, we can't build a defense (as if a defense can be built through FA). then give up premium picks that should translate to good defensive players to get wilson, the defense still sucking, and we get what? 4,5M cap space based on current wilson contract over the next 3 years......and then end up perhaps in the playoffs....and lose in the first round as Wilson has done over the past 4 years....is that your solution?

Wilson isn't the solution. he will add to the problem. get 3,4M in cap space. lose bunch of first round picks. that's a worst scenario that I could imagine. and by the time we get to have 1st round picks again, wilson is due for another contract, and he will be 35.....WOW, what a fantastic plan!!! NOT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yep

The only reason that makes sense why they waited so long to extend him was to satisfy public perception with more success in playoffs validating him. Like many fans were. But real GM’s and football guys don’t need that to know he’s their guy.

So , they will either have to cough up millions more cowering to the demands or risk losing their QB.

If my memory serves me correctly, there were lots of fans saying that we should wait to sign Dak two years ago and a year ago. "We need to be sure" type talk.

Those same people NOW seem to be bashing Jerry for not getting a deal done 2 years ago. Funny how that works.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
so our defense sucks. all you all Dak detractors complain, if we pay him, we can't build a defense (as if a defense can be built through FA). then give up premium picks that should translate to good defensive players to get wilson, the defense still sucking, and we get what? 4,5M cap space based on current wilson contract over the next 3 years......and then end up perhaps in the playoffs....and lose in the first round as Wilson has done over the past 4 years....is that your solution?

Wilson isn't the solution. he will add to the problem. get 3,4M in cap space. lose bunch of first round picks. that's a worst scenario that I could imagine. and by the time we get to have 1st round picks again, wilson is due for another contract, and he will be 35.....WOW, what a fantastic plan!!! NOT

Dude, I was literally just responding to the prospects of starting Dinucci. Jesus, switch to decaf.

FTR, I meant Zach Wilson from BYU.

Dre11

Reaction score
what the record? hes the leader isnt he? yards and production are nice but list all his fumbles add him to his INts and then W-L and playoff appearances he hasn't had now 3-5 years??

I realize its team game but why pay QB that kind of dough if thats going to be our Record regardless of whos to blame for the losses..seems to me we can achieve average to below 500 records with different much cheaper qbs until we fix the rest of the team..If dak cant help with team friendly deal and give the FO a better flexibility, i say use him and lose him..its time we are at crossroads and well we are losing with him so why not lose with a cheap qb maybe rookie learning while we push the effort to rebuild the defense and establish a new culture ..??

I rather do it with Dak here but not what he and his agent are holding out for..we would just be the Texans with 38mil dollar qb and a 4-12 record..SMH reality check

Asking what's the record is a non starter, to even bring that up shuts down your whole argument. That's where you need a reality check. When folks claim Watson a top 5 qb, they don't ask "What's the record" and he got paid. Why should he give the team flexibility? They had 4 years of him on a rookie contract and they did nothing to fix the defense. So what makes you think they'll do it now? When you're up for a raise do you tell your employer you'll take less? Probably not, so why should he if the money was the issue? Which it's not, it's the years

Dre11

Reaction score
um first off WE isnt you or us you have no idea what you are talking about its just another fan narrative.. what was offered LOL you act like they offered him 25 and walked away the dude at thee time was offered top 5 deal with a top 10 results qb..that not just any number, stop being a drama queen and exaggerating everything..dude was offered more then fair money it was top money and no reason to not take it..

BTW owners his Boss employees dont set prices , iof owners ie tjhe boss decides you are not performing to the demanded salary well here we are..Daks not his own boss the NFL and the Jonses have set the cap and set structured pay scales so players cant always get the MAX, its not possible

Again the results has nothing to do with his individual play, his individual play/stats ranks right up there with his peers who are on teams that win and that was while he was on a rookie deal, they had plenty time to fix what needed to be fix.
As far as him being not being his own boss, technically he is his boss, he's a contractor , its why they're negotiating, he can set his price and they can take it or leave it. The same as if my business go out here and negotiate a contract.

Dre11

Reaction score
If my memory serves me correctly, there were lots of fans saying that we should wait to sign Dak two years ago and a year ago. "We need to be sure" type talk.

Those same people NOW seem to be bashing Jerry for not getting a deal done 2 years ago. Funny how that works.

Name those folks, because I've seen folks saying sign the man 2 years ago

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Tag and trade of Dak isn't going to happen. No team is going to meet his demand for 40 million a year. Just let him walk and go draft a QB and beef up the defense and offensive line.

Dre11

Reaction score
Tag and trade of Dak isn't going to happen. No team is going to meet his demand for 40 million a year. Just let him walk and go draft a QB and beef up the defense and offensive line.

You're crazy he'd be right in the division in Washington in a heartbeat or Chicago

lostar2009

Reaction score
Not all QBs need 1-4 years to develop. I am not saying it is easy, but sometimes you can get a guy like Brady or Mahomes.

The way this team move? This current front office administration would've reduce careers such as Troy Aikman, Joe Montana, Tom Brady to nothing more than internet memes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I was one of those, back before 2018 started. I had concerns about certain aspects of his game and said, multiple times that the reason he tends to hold on to the ball is that he may not feel he can put the ball where he wants and its due to his footwork. if he can fix his footwork, then his accuracy will improve, his confidence in his throws will improve and he will be a much better QB. I said it at the time, its better to wait another year, see if he improves, if he does, we may end up paying a few millions more, and in grand scheme of things that really doesn't matter, instead of paying 28,29M and he is not the guy we want...and guess what. we are where I hoped we would be and I am ok with paying a little more. I was ok paying him 35 last year and given the market moved, I am ok paying 40M....3 years from now its totally irrelevant to the cap and whom we may want to sign

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dude, I was literally just responding to the prospects of starting Dinucci. Jesus, switch to decaf.

FTR, I meant Zach Wilson from BYU.
he is probably a top 3 or 4 pick....and he is a risk. if he drops, there is legit concerns and reasons and he may end up a failure (80% chance)..... he may need a few years of developing, at which time, we will need to rengotiate and hand him a 55M contract and everyone here will complain.

like I said, I am not sold on Wilson. he has lots of warts.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Watson just got a 40M and several teams have experssed interest in not only paying 40M, but giving up picks too...are you sure there is no market for Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Of course If you were unsure. Fans are allowed to be fickle or wishy washy. They aren’t involved in the decision process. Who cares. But ownership must be more certain.

I thought Jethro and the powers that be have been All In for years. Why did they wait until his Rookie contract expire and let it come to this point. It’s going to cost them millions more or possibly lose their Franchise QB. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.