The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep, so your blaming Jerry for waiting when thats exactly what you wanted him to do. Now you agree we should have signed him two years ago cheaper.
No, I’m saying if you were All In or didn’t have doubts like some fans did should have signed him earlier.

This shouldn’t be about what I thought or think but what the Cowboys did or didn’t do.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We could have signed him for 35 for 5 too, had he and his agent not backed out of an agreed upon deal.
But there’s no deal if he doesn’t agree. Instead we call that an offer. And I’ve heard that offer referred to as a reneged deal. I’m not sure that’s how I’d interpret it.

We could have had a deal for 35 per if we’d gone with 4 years. I bet they wished they had. That deal looks pretty good now. I’m not sure why we thought it would get better waiting?

Dak holds all the cards. It’s either going to cost us more or we’ll lose him. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football. And our ownership should be and is being blasted for.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What does it mean to say his asking price is too high? Does that mean it's too high for what the QB market has been, or just too high for what Jerry feels he can do with the salary cap?

In any case, the reporting last year wasn't that Dak's asking price was too high anyway, it was that there was a disagreement on the length of the deal.

As for the team and/or Mike McCarthy not having full faith in him, I don't see that as a reasonable conclusion because the team wouldn't even be negotiating in the realm of the dollars and years it would take to sign Dak if they weren't pretty damn convinced. It seems much more likely the consideration is more in fitting things within the salary cap.
What’s absurd is that the Cowboys thought they’d get a better deal this year.

And why this is all about public perception with our dysfunctional organization.

plymkr

Reaction score
again, context matters as I said.... Dalton beat 3 4 win teams, with their back up QBs and with the help of 9 turnovers, a defensive and special teams score...by contrast that same defense was giving up HISTORICALLY BAD numbers of 36+ points a game...

Dak is clearly and obviously a top 10 QB, closer to a top 5, than to a #10....there is no argument there.

and I like the fact, you are blaming team short comings on Dak, and dismissing the defense, the coaches...Dak is supposed to overcome all of that dysfunction and getting to 8-8 was great onto itself because of that.

and if you don't believe in Dak, then why do you want to keep him. if you don't think he is going to get you there, why even pay 20-25M..... Brady took that money, because he is been in the league for 20+ years now. has a wife that makes and has made more money than him and he is on his 4 or 5th or is it 6th contract. he can pick and choose what he wants.....

and I agree with you, until we fix the defense, this team is as good as 8-8.....
Lol, you're agreeing with me but you're just saying it a little differently. I've stated several times that no QB can overcome our bad defense and dysfunctional organization. So I'm not blaming Dak for the team's shortcomings. I also am not ignoring that Dak has not played all that great on a consistent basis since 2019. He's had a couple great games and a couple really bad games and the rest of the games he was average and bus driving. I've said this a 100 times I feel he is an above average franchise QB. I would say he's 6-8 best QB in the game right now. He's not at the elite level of Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Mahomes, and I guess Watson even though I've never thought of Watson as that good but I guess I haven't been paying attention to him.

Dallas can win a super bowl with Dak and a strong defense that he doesn't have to overcome the mistakes for. If he signs for 41 million then we won't be able to fix the defense. the draft alone will not get it done because we have to draft for some offensive lineman too due to the Tyron and Collins situations. So saying the draft is the cure all for the defense is not accurate because it will take a couple drafts to get the defense up to par and by that time the offense may age out.

Yes I would jump for joy if Dak signed a contract of 20-25 million a year. We'd get to keep him and get to fix the defense. I believe in Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson and Brady but if one of them came to Dallas on a 41 million dollar deal we would be 8-8 because we'd be in the same spot of good QB play with a flawed roster. I'm not against Dak. I guess to summarize what I am against is paying a QB, any QB, 40-45 million a year. I feel defense wins championships and a powerful defense can overcome an average to above average QB play. A great QB can not overcome a poor defense on a consistent basis and especially in the playoffs.

Wilson and Rodgers are good examples of this. They haven't won a super bowl since getting paid and their defenses becoming weak.

Tom Brady is the dream scenario because he allowed his contract to be workable and keep good players around him. But as you stated and I agree with you, Brady was able to do that due to having a rich wife and lengthy career. But I feel the formula to winning is a strong defense that can overcome average QB play. Ala this past super bowl, I don't feel Brady won it for them as much as the Tampa Bay defense harassed Mahomes to the point he was ineffective.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
he is probably a top 3 or 4 pick....and he is a risk. if he drops, there is legit concerns and reasons and he may end up a failure (80% chance)..... he may need a few years of developing, at which time, we will need to rengotiate and hand him a 55M contract and everyone here will complain.

like I said, I am not sold on Wilson. he has lots of warts.

"Wilson has warts" but you're advocating starting Dinucci... Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Watson just got a 40M and several teams have experssed interest in not only paying 40M, but giving up picks too...are you sure there is no market for Dak?

The money isn't the issue, it's the years of control. Watson offers a team several years of control still. Who is going to trade for Dak with one year of control after how negotiations have gone with the Cowboys? There may be a strong market for Dak, but not when a team has one year of control and absolutely no leverage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lol, you're agreeing with me but you're just saying it a little differently. I've stated several times that no QB can overcome our bad defense and dysfunctional organization. So I'm not blaming Dak for the team's shortcomings. I also am not ignoring that Dak has not played all that great on a consistent basis since 2019. He's had a couple great games and a couple really bad games and the rest of the games he was average and bus driving. I've said this a 100 times I feel he is an above average franchise QB. I would say he's 6-8 best QB in the game right now. He's not at the elite level of Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Mahomes, and I guess Watson even though I've never thought of Watson as that good but I guess I haven't been paying attention to him.

Dallas can win a super bowl with Dak and a strong defense that he doesn't have to overcome the mistakes for. If he signs for 41 million then we won't be able to fix the defense. the draft alone will not get it done because we have to draft for some offensive lineman too due to the Tyron and Collins situations. So saying the draft is the cure all for the defense is not accurate because it will take a couple drafts to get the defense up to par and by that time the offense may age out.

Yes I would jump for joy if Dak signed a contract of 20-25 million a year. We'd get to keep him and get to fix the defense. I believe in Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson and Brady but if one of them came to Dallas on a 41 million dollar deal we would be 8-8 because we'd be in the same spot of good QB play with a flawed roster. I'm not against Dak. I guess to summarize what I am against is paying a QB, any QB, 40-45 million a year. I feel defense wins championships and a powerful defense can overcome an average to above average QB play. A great QB can not overcome a poor defense on a consistent basis and especially in the playoffs.

Wilson and Rodgers are good examples of this. They haven't won a super bowl since getting paid and their defenses becoming weak.

Tom Brady is the dream scenario because he allowed his contract to be workable and keep good players around him. But as you stated and I agree with you, Brady was able to do that due to having a rich wife and lengthy career. But I feel the formula to winning is a strong defense that can overcome average QB play. Ala this past super bowl, I don't feel Brady won it for them as much as the Tampa Bay defense harassed Mahomes to the point he was ineffective.
I’m not even sure if Dak is rated that high. But regardless Franchise QB are often signed as near the market high if they’re not Elite. Stanford and Ryan in most recent years. And if we hadn’t waited into his Rookie contract ran out we could have signed Dak below the market high to a more team friendly deal.

The question that needs to be asked is why did our organization wait so long. Every indication is they were All In basically since they booted Romo to the curb. Even after 2018 playoffs they certainly were talking Dak up but instead waited .

My only reason I can see is they were following public perception wanting to see more team success to validate paying a big contract . Which if you’re already sold well run franchises don’t need that. The price would have just gone up. Playing public perception is the only viable answer .

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not even sure if Dak is rated that high. But regardless Franchise QB are often signed as near the market high if they’re not Elite. Stanford and Ryan in most recent years. And if we hadn’t waited into his Rookie contract ran out we could have signed Dak below the market high to a more team friendly deal.

This, plus they would have had that last year of the rookie deal to spread the cap hit over. Of course, the Cowboys actually did talk to Dak before his rookie deal ran out, but my guess is they tried to get a low ball deal at that time.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Watson is a rare combination of passer and athlete. The time it takes Dak Prescott to go through his reads alone makes him a liability in the passing game.
the rare athlete passer has two 4-12 seasons and is 1-2 in the playoffs....isn't that what you use to measure how good dak is or is not.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No one knows. It’s all speculation . But rest assured there’s some market. How much, you don’t know until you throw your name in the ring. But history in this league would support anyone needing a QB would probably over pay.

And I think Watson is a pretty good gauge into what Dak could fetch.
exactly, its a QB driven league and has been for years.....people will over draft, take gambles and over pay for a QB....its the cheapest and easiest path to get to the superbowl, despite the costs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

yes, agree with your first paragraph. I disagree with the notion that if we sign him to a 40M contract then we can't fix the defense. what's the difference, 4, or 5M.. that would make everyone happy, but what can 4,5 M get you? not much..

the problem with the defense ain't getting fixed with FA. we have to draft better. 15 years. 44 defensive draft picks. one impact player and that's Lawrence. unless we draft better, we are not going to be able to sign 6 or 7 defensive players to make a dent in this defense.....plus we haven't even been good in free agency. we have in fact sucked in defensive FA and trades.....

and Dak will not sign for 20-25. if he is a top 6-8 type QB, the market has moved way passed that mark.......

and that's been my argument about a wilson trade. his average salary is 36M......that perhaps a 4M difference.....everyone will argue, but wilson is so much better....but he has three years left on his contract, will want to break the bank on the next one and it would take several 1st round picks to get him, premium picks, we need to fix the defense and the 4M won't get you much....I don't see Wilson as an answer. Brady isn't stupid enough to come here. he chose Tampa specifically because they were close, the defense was there. the offense had weapons....and they were competitive with the ****** bag Jamies Winston......he wants more rings, not drama.

and I agree, we need to improve this defense to middle of the pack, not just in total yards, that's semi-meaningless, but in specific categories that shows the defense is mid level, like sacks, QB pressures, turnovers and 3rd down percentage....and for that we have to draft better. if we don't. we are an 8-8 team for a long time regardless of who is at QB as you said.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
"Wilson has warts" but you're advocating starting Dinucci... Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?
I am advocating Danucci because that's a tanking strategy..... if we move on from Dak, then lets just tank and rebuild.....trade all the assets, see what you got in all these other players, go for the top pick and have a chance at the top QB....

wilson is far from a sure thing and 80% chance he is a waste of resources and years.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The money isn't the issue, it's the years of control. Watson offers a team several years of control still. Who is going to trade for Dak with one year of control after how negotiations have gone with the Cowboys? There may be a strong market for Dak, but not when a team has one year of control and absolutely no leverage.
everybody knows Jones screwed this up. where he was an idiot handing Zeke a contract two years before it expired and made him the highest paid RB....he handed club foot Jaylon and made him a top 5 LB, where every could see he was limited.....he played hardball with Dak, trying to save a couple of million. two years ago, in the last year of his contract he could have gone to 29, 30M and had him signed. instead he got fixated on 25M or something to that effect. then in 2020, he did the same, got fixated on the 5th year and now we are here.....

Jones could have as easily just made the last year a huge number, for the purpose of satisfying Dak, and get his fifth year and then when it came to that fifth year, either cut him (so dak gets his 4 year contract and is a FA) or they renegotiate...

not sure what they heck was going on with Jones....

if he is not sure about Dak, then fair enough, just cut the damn chord and move on....but he is sitting on the fence, either shiet or get off the can.

plymkr

Reaction score

The question that needs to be asked is why did our organization wait so long. Every indication is they were All In basically since they booted Romo to the curb. Even after 2018 playoffs they certainly were talking Dak up but instead waited .

My only reason I can see is they were following public perception wanting to see more team success to validate paying a big contract . Which if you’re already sold well run franchises don’t need that. The price would have just gone up. Playing public perception is the only viable answer .
I agree public perception is answer. Also do you think for some reason they may have not believed in him? Sometimes I wonder if they don't believe in him. That's the only other answer I can think of.

plymkr

Reaction score
yes, agree with your first paragraph. I disagree with the notion that if we sign him to a 40M contract then we can't fix the defense. what's the difference, 4, or 5M.. that would make everyone happy, but what can 4,5 M get you? not much..

the problem with the defense ain't getting fixed with FA. we have to draft better. 15 years. 44 defensive draft picks. one impact player and that's Lawrence. unless we draft better, we are not going to be able to sign 6 or 7 defensive players to make a dent in this defense.....plus we haven't even been good in free agency. we have in fact sucked in defensive FA and trades.....

and Dak will not sign for 20-25. if he is a top 6-8 type QB, the market has moved way passed that mark.......

and that's been my argument about a wilson trade. his average salary is 36M......that perhaps a 4M difference.....everyone will argue, but wilson is so much better....but he has three years left on his contract, will want to break the bank on the next one and it would take several 1st round picks to get him, premium picks, we need to fix the defense and the 4M won't get you much....I don't see Wilson as an answer. Brady isn't stupid enough to come here. he chose Tampa specifically because they were close, the defense was there. the offense had weapons....and they were competitive with the ****** bag Jamies Winston......he wants more rings, not drama.

and I agree, we need to improve this defense to middle of the pack, not just in total yards, that's semi-meaningless, but in specific categories that shows the defense is mid level, like sacks, QB pressures, turnovers and 3rd down percentage....and for that we have to draft better. if we don't. we are an 8-8 team for a long time regardless of who is at QB as you said.
I agree. I don't think Dak would sign for 20 million and I am not advocating he does. If he did than that would give us more flexibility.

But your point is correct. If we don't draft better than all of this is for nothing.

Also I don't want Wilson for the same reason. His 36 million dollar price will hurt us in the same way as Dak's 40 million dollar price. There's not a lot of difference between 37 million and 41 million in the grand scheme of things.

What I am advocating for is a tag and trade, collect draft capital, purge the roster of bad contracts and suck for a year or 2 and hopefully draft better on offense and defense and put together a solid roster. This way we don't need superman at QB because the roster is solid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree public perception is answer. Also do you think for some reason they may have not believed in him? Sometimes I wonder if they don't believe in him. That's the only other answer I can think of.
That would be the only other answer. But it would go against everything they have said publicly for years.

plymkr

Reaction score
That would be the only other answer. But it would go against everything they have said publicly for years.
Yeah but they've also said publicly for years that the only thing they care about is winning. Their actions have proven that winning is a low priority with this organization. Making money, merchandise, egos, and control are all a higher priority than winning.

kskboys

Reaction score
Could have been genuine, could have been a stunt. Can't tell either way. Even as a stunt, it at least showed intelligence, instead of bitterness.

I'm getting more positive on Dak wanting to stay here. Used to think he just wanted to hit free agency to maximize his contract, and thought was short-sighted, given the pluses the Cowboy brand brings.

The *smart* thing for him to do financially, IMO, is not sign until the tv contracts are done, because they should explode market prices, but *then* sign with the Cowboys for the marketing mojo and fan continuity. The ankle injury should be a big fan bonding bonus, *if* he stays here.

As it turns out, his actions are also consistent with doing the smart thing. And he *hasn't* been taking grievance to the media, and however you slice it, wanted to keep in good with the fans. It all looks smart. I think I'm going with that now.
Well, the fans have turned on him in droves, so the fan thing may be done and gone.

kskboys

Reaction score
why is it that when players want money, they are called greedy, but when owners don't want to pay, fans cheer on....the money is the money.......Dak is as greedy as Jerry Jones.
IDK, why is it some fans have so much difficulty discerning what is a fair offer?

basel90

Reaction score
1. His asking price must be too high again

2. Mike M must not have full faith in him, as does Stephen

Both go hand in hand.

If they thought he was the elite QB, some here believe, he would get whatever. Mike would let it be known, "bro, we need this dude by any means"

I'm not a Dak fan, but ready for this to be over.

Trade him or just out right let him walk.
Let him walk or trade him if he doesn’t sign a team freindly deal

Status
Not open for further replies.