The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know that I agree with this. Say what you wish about this Franchise but they have developed both Romo and Dak, thus far. I actually think they do OK in this area if they have something to work with.
Interesting thought. Cause there quite a sizable contingent that believes Romo basically was such a sandlot player he wasn’t developed .

And Prescott came right out of the gates his guns a blazing.

But I agree , I think they both were developed along the way. And argued Garrett had a hand in it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Your opinion sounds like is driven mostly by not believing Dak is a valid Franchise QB.

Would you describe our ownership with similar sentiments as yours about Dak?

Depends on what your definition of a Franchise QB is, I suppose. Dak could be a Franchise QB and still not be worth the kind of money he is asking for to the team.

It comes down to what you can afford and while I know there are millions of fans out there who do not believe the cap plays a role, fans who believe Teams can basically do anything they want to pay players, it's simply not true. So there is a number out there that will work and if you can't find a deal to that number, then it's a bad deal. That's where this negotiation is at right now.

I can't speak for Jerry but if you are asking me, paying him what he's asking for is bad business.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Interesting thought. Cause there quite a sizable contingent that believes Romo basically was such a sandlot player he wasn’t developed .

And Prescott came right out of the gates his guns a blazing.

But I agree , I think they both were developed along the way. And argued Garrett had a hand in it.

That's not true at all. Tony didn't come into the league ready to play. He had to have a lot of work done. The Cowboys developed him. He didn't come out of EIU as a finished product by any stretch.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think they've answered that and it's not the 40-45 4 year deal.
Not yet anyway. But I think the bigger question is why are they even entertaining the thought.

You'd think If they had no plans to cough up near to that amount they would have already moved on.

We shall see .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's not true at all. Tony didn't come into the league ready to play. He had to have a lot of work done. The Cowboys developed him. He didn't come out of EIU as a finished product by any stretch.
He was a pretty raw product when he took over in 2006.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not yet anyway. But I think the bigger question is why are they even entertaining the thought.

You'd think If they had no plans to cough up near to that amount they would have already moved on.

We shall see .

I think the Cowboys want Dak at a price they can pay. I think the team believes that the market for Dak is not what a lot of fans believe it might be. No team, IMO, is going to pay Dak the numbers he is asking for. I don't believe there is a team out there that looks at Dak and says to themselves, yep, he's worth 45 on a 4 year deal. He's on par with Mahomes. I think the team believes that the market will eventually come to them on this deal. JMO

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys want Dak at a price they can pay. I think the team believes that the market for Dak is not what a lot of fans believe it might be. No team, IMO, is going to pay Dak the numbers he is asking for. I don't believe there is a team out there that looks at Dak and says to themselves, yep, he's worth 45 on a 4 year deal. He's on par with Mahomes. I think the team believes that the market will eventually come to them on this deal. JMO
First of all I haven’t seen the demands of 45 million
Per. So far all we know he’s turned down is 35 for 5 years. And would have accepted for 4 years. Would you have offered that much?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I did and he was cut a couple times wasn’t he ?

I don't know that he was ever cut. I know that both Shanahan and Payton wanted Romo. I think that if Romo would have been cut, he would have landed up on one of those teams.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
First of all I haven’t seen the demands of 45 million
Per. So far all we know he’s turned down is 35 for 5 years. And would have accepted for 4 years. Would you have offered that much?

It's out there. He agent said something about 40-45 like a week ago. There is a thread on this board right now that is talking about being paid right behind Mahomes. I think you could probably find that there is substance to the statement if you did a search.

But for today, I'm out. We will have to fix the worlds problems tomorrow DHB. Today, for the rest of the day, I'm hanging with my 4 month old Grandson!

Take it easy eveybody. DHB, stay out of trouble. ;)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's out there. He agent said something about 40-45 like a week ago. There is a thread on this board right now that is talking about being paid right behind Mahomes. I think you could probably find that there is substance to the statement if you did a search.

But for today, I'm out. We will have to fix the worlds problems tomorrow DHB. Today, for the rest of the day, I'm hanging with my 4 month old Grandson!

Take it easy eveybody. DHB, stay out of trouble. ;)
I saw 41.5 for 3 years. Haven’t seen 45 but anything’s possible. Have a good night Q.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know that he was ever cut. I know that both Shanahan and Payton wanted Romo. I think that if Romo would have been cut, he would have landed up on one of those teams.

JMO
Well, he was going to be cut until Quincy was released. Shanahan could have drafted him but didn’t. And Peyton wouldn’t give more than a 3rd round pick for him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

JMO
They are both ex QB's from Eastern Illinois which was the awareness factor of Romo. What would have happened with Romo with either one would have been interesting tom watch but as Cowboys fans, we wouldn't have really cared.

I think it was apparent that Parcells didn't really want to play him but had little choice. His comment to the media, "wait til the other teams get enough film on him" was the strangest comment I ever heard a HC say about his own QB. I thought at the time, Parcells being a notorious head gamer, is he sending Romo a message through the media to stop the Farveing.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, he was going to be cut until Quincy was released. Shanahan could have drafted him but didn’t. And Peyton wouldn’t give more than a 3rd round pick for him.

That's true, Payton could have drafted him and Peyton could have offered more for him. But both guys, reportedly, offered more money to Romo to leave Dallas. They both definitely would have claimed him had be been waived, which is why I don't believe he was ever waived by the Cowboys, early on. That's just my opinion though, I can't recall 100%

csirl

Reaction score
Can someone put a countdown clock for the tag deadline on CZ - would be a nice addition to the drama.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They are both ex QB's from Eastern Illinois which was the awareness factor of Romo. What would have happened with Romo with either one would have been interesting tom watch but as Cowboys fans, we wouldn't have really cared.

I think it was apparent that Parcells didn't really want to play him but had little choice. His comment to the media, "wait til the other teams get enough film on him" was the strangest comment I ever heard a HC say about his own QB. I thought at the time, Parcells being a notorious head gamer, is he sending Romo a message through the media to stop the Farveing.

Right, they were both QBs, like Romo, at EI. I do agree, Parcells was likely trying to temper the response by Fans and Media alike. He believed in bringing QBs along and developing them. IMO, Romo would have failed miserably had he been forced to play early on. I, personally, believe that Parcells was the most influential person, in terms of Romo being successful in the NFL. He brought Tony along at the right speed and didn't ruin him by playing him too early.

That's just me thou......

Status
Not open for further replies.