The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2 years is a very optimistic window. I’d say more like 4 years and that is if they hit on most of the defensive draft picks and stop wasting time with reclamation projects
I don't think it's that bad, they need to stop the run and shore up the middle and they're a lot better.

It's a passing game now but if a team cannot stop the run, especially up the gut, they've got little chance because even teams that don't run the ball will run the ball.

No team fears DAL's D but they all respect the O and want to keep it on the sideline. Not stopping the run plays right into their hands.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No matter which side of the argument we are on here, Booger is wearing the black hat if this doesn't get done.

He's got players on the team and ex players in the Prescott camp. He is close to solidifying his reputation as an incompetent GM. at least in the media and the media matters to him more than anyone else in the NFL.

And I am sorry if I offended any monkeys in the making of that post.
Its sad that the media matters more to him than the fans.

Dre11

Reaction score
The more you look at this situation the more it makes sense to Draft a guy like Mac Jones and sign Dalton for a couple of years to bridge the gap while you work on the defense. Dak at what he is demanding is someone who hinders the ability to keep and add talent via free agency.

they don't add talent via free agency anyway with or without Dak signed. But I said all along they should give him the 3 or 4 year deal now ,draft a qb to groom, and if Dak hasn't lived up to his contract in their eyes, walk away and play the guy you groomed. if Dak has played up to his contract and he deserves a new one, give him another one. especially if we win a super bowl, make it to a super bowl, he'll deserve another contract anyway.

wecasa

Reaction score
I dont care what you read into the health reports that are put out. How stupid would it be to throw 30+ mil at a guy who has a bad ankle. I mean seriously. Without some kind of guarantee that he can play again, why sign him now? So you lock him up to a huge multi year and come training camp time he can't play. Can't function at all. Then what. It's a tough spot. Just let it work out on its own good time. No need to rush.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
it shouldn't have matter what they thought, you knew he was your Qb and they said that for 3 years, you don't let his contract run out, or wait until it run out. You extend your guy, like they did Zeke. you wouldn't be dealing with this.
Did they know Dak was their guy? Let’s not forget as far as situations that QBs come into in the NFL, Dak hit the lottery with a terrific offensive line a RB and and owner who never met a WR he did not like. He’s been a bus driver of a fairly stacked unit.

Dre11

Reaction score
Did they know Dak was their guy? Let’s not forget as far as situations that QBs come into in the NFL, Dak hit the lottery with a terrific offensive line a RB and and owner who never met a WR he did not like. He’s been a bus driver of a fairly stacked unit.

that's your opinion and not a smart one, Stephen ,Jerry said it multiple times he was their guy. Folks around the league have shared that same sentiment. so yeah according to them he is. Russ hit the lottery too, he came into the league with one of the greatest defenses, he got paid.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
that's your opinion and not a smart one, Stephen ,Jerry said it multiple times he was their guy. Folks around the league have shared that same sentiment. so yeah according to them he is. Russ hit the lottery too, he came into the league with one of the greatest defenses, he got paid.

I never take what Stephen and Jerry have to say seriously. Looking at the body of work over the last 4 years and the steady decline of the team I’d say this is a luxury that isn’t going to help us in anyway.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
they don't add talent via free agency anyway with or without Dak signed. But I said all along they should give him the 3 or 4 year deal now ,draft a qb to groom, and if Dak hasn't lived up to his contract in their eyes, walk away and play the guy you groomed. if Dak has played up to his contract and he deserves a new one, give him another one. especially if we win a super bowl, make it to a super bowl, he'll deserve another contract anyway.

I was talking about losing those “guys we love” to free agency. Not going to help matters if the team erodes away and all you have left is Dak Prescott at 40 million and a bunch of low price spares. You think last season was bad wait till you have to see that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agree, but if that is true than Dak should have fired France.
So you have to accept the accountability when you accept the relationship.
I would be much more open to signing Dak, and not as negative against Dak if he would have fired France,, but he didnt.
https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-three-year-contract-prediction/
Why would Prescott fire France? The perception was that the Joneses failed to get the deal done. They hesitated and he started off hot at 3-0 and the agent did what 100% of them would have done, he upped the ante.

I don't get the anger aimed at the agent or the player, it's their business. Prescott and all pro athletes do not play for the team, they play for themselves. There is no loyalty, either direction, in any professional sport.

I look back at the NFL dynasties like Bears, Browns, Packers, 70's Cowboys, Vikings, Bills, Raiders, Steelers, Niners and 90's Cowboys and wonder what does that look like with full FA in effect?

Think legendary units like the Fearsome Foursome, Steel Curtain, Doomsday Defense, Purple Gang and Greatest Show on Turf even exist? How many Monsters are on the Midway?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's all about entertainment to him, it's all about the show.

I think Booger's view of the "fans" is different than any other owner's. They look at it from the local/regional view, he looks at it nationally.

Dre11

Reaction score
I never take what Stephen and Jerry have to say seriously. Looking at the body of work over the last 4 years and the steady decline of the team I’d say this is a luxury that isn’t going to help us in anyway.

This has nothing to do with their body of work . It's what they believe, and in their mind it's what they believe.

plymkr

Reaction score
If the reports are fact, it is now a 3 year deal. They wanted a 5 year deal last year and his agent is counting the tag year as year 1 of a 4 year deal, which is all he wants. From the get go, Todd France has been pointing to 2024 as a FA year for Prescott. He doesn't seem to want to come off that.

If that's the case, they're better off tagging him and making other plans past 2022.
If this is true and Dak only wants to sign a 3 year deal. Then tag and trade. If Dak is not going to commit long term to the Cowboys then we're going to lose him eventually and in 3 very short years go through this same drama. His reputation and rank in this FA class is higher than his actual play on the field. Trade him this year to get the maximum amount of draft capital for him and speed up the roster purge and rebuild.

With Dak we're 8-8, without Dak we're 6-10. That's not a 40 million dollar difference. Also if he is completely inflexible with every one of his demands then he can become another team's problem.

I'm a Dak fan. I would put myself in the "Dak lover's club", but him and his agent is really starting to make me not like him.

Does he want to be here or not? Actions speak louder than words. If he wants to be here he can be flexible on some of his contract demands. If he's not then he doesn't want to be here.

Ship him to Carolina, Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami. Play for a team that has little national TV appearances. Drift off into obscurity with your greedy agent and annoying brother.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, we need a long term plan at QB and if Dak does not want to be it, get what you can for him now..
The challenge is how do they get anything for him? He holds all the cards because he would have to agree to a tag and trade and make a deal with the new team. I just don;t see that happening.

The best they can get for him is the non exclusive tag and get 2 1sts, which I do not think is a bad deal at all. I have doubts that will happen.

Dre11

Reaction score
I was talking about losing those “guys we love” to free agency. Not going to help matters if the team erodes away and all you have left is Dak Prescott at 40 million and a bunch of low price spares. You think last season was bad wait till you have to see that.

They keep the guys they want come hell or high water, Dak won't change that. They can maneuver the cap to do whatever they want. This year was just a continuation of their cheap ways. Bottom line is they could've got him cheaper, it's their fault they waited.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this is true and Dak only wants to sign a 3 year deal. Then tag and trade. If Dak is not going to commit long term to the Cowboys then we're going to lose him eventually and in 3 very short years go through this same drama. His reputation and rank in this FA class is higher than his actual play on the field. Trade him this year to get the maximum amount of draft capital for him and speed up the roster purge and rebuild.

With Dak we're 8-8, without Dak we're 6-10. That's not a 40 million dollar difference. Also if he is completely inflexible with every one of his demands then he can become another team's problem.

I'm a Dak fan. I would put myself in the "Dak lover's club", but him and his agent is really starting to make me not like him.

Does he want to be here or not? Actions speak louder than words. If he wants to be here he can be flexible on some of his contract demands. If he's not then he doesn't want to be here.

Ship him to Carolina, Las Vegas, Chicago, Miami. Play for a team that has little national TV appearances. Drift off into obscurity with your greedy agent and annoying brother.
He would have to agree with that because his agent will not allow him to sign any tag that allows the Cowboys to dictate where he goes.

The trickiest part to this entire situation is it in unknown what any other team, in need of a QB, would agree to with Prescott. Is there any team willing to pay him what his agent wants?

No one knows Prescott's value on the open market.

Dre11

Reaction score
I dont care what you read into the health reports that are put out. How stupid would it be to throw 30+ mil at a guy who has a bad ankle. I mean seriously. Without some kind of guarantee that he can play again, why sign him now? So you lock him up to a huge multi year and come training camp time he can't play. Can't function at all. Then what. It's a tough spot. Just let it work out on its own good time. No need to rush.

I'm sure there would be an injury clause somewhere in the contract.

nobody

Reaction score
if Jerry comes out and says he will do right by Dak because they think of him as family, thus letting him walk and getting nothing in return, then I think I may be done. It would be a terrible business model. To answer the question as to why Dak isn't signed, its simple really. ANSWER IS TODD FRANCE. Dak has been misled and misrepresented woefully. Greed and the iron fist approach by the agent has taken over again. Until that changes drastically, he won't be a cowboy. The only option soon may be to tag him and find a trade partner Dak feels good about so he can start for a team. Seattle is starting to make some sense actually. Hard to believe, but Wilson is starting to look like a cheaper option than keeping Dak the longer this drags out. Question will be what will it take. The most I would do is a 1st round pick in 2022, a conditional 1st in 2023, and a couple players..ie like Jaylon Smith and or Zeke. A package like ZEKE AND DAK coupled with a 1st in 2022 might be enough to land Wilson. It helps both teams NOW. Plus we would hold onto our picks mostly so we can fix the D.

You can only blame Todd France for so much. It's not like he was forced on Dak and Dak can't fire him or issue directives... Dak employs Todd France, not vice versa. Dak is just as responsible. If he's been misled and misrepresented that is on him. The information is out there. He is willfully ignorant if he's being misled. France is doing what Dak wants. Period.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
They keep the guys they want come hell or high water, Dak won't change that. They can maneuver the cap to do whatever they want. This year was just a continuation of their cheap ways. Bottom line is they could've got him cheaper, it's their fault they waited.

Doubt it. Those guys want to get paid as much as Dak. Yea they may love Dak but no one is sacrificing his own bank account for Dak

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s cause the fans amazingly continue providing him a stamp of approval thru the record revenue despite the results on the field.

If only the fans would hold him accountable. The media are only ones who challenge or call out his ways.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
1. His asking price must be too high again

2. Mike M must not have full faith in him, as does Stephen

Both go hand in hand.

If they thought he was the elite QB, some here believe, he would get whatever. Mike would let it be known, "bro, we need this dude by any means"

I'm not a Dak fan, but ready for this to be over.

Trade him or just out right let him walk.
It has nothing to do with whether the head coach wants him or not. That’s why we need a general manager they say here’s the players you work with them them

Status
Not open for further replies.