The road ahead for Goff and Wentz

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
What do you think will end up happening for these two quarterbacks leaving their first teams? They were thought to be elite, but it hasn't worked out that way, at least not yet. Usually in a case like this, it's one of these things:

1. A bust. He'll be out of the league in a year or two.
2. No longer starter material, but has an okay career as a journeyman/decent backup.
3. Takes some time, but career rebounds and he turns out to be an excellent quarterback after all, possibly even elite.

Previous quarterbacks have had varying degrees of success after leaving their initial teams. Here are some examples.

1. Ryan Leaf. Change of venue didn't help. Total bust.
2. RG3. Never looked elite again, but played well enough to be a good backup.
3. Jim Plunkett. Stunk up the place in New England, did okay for the 49ers, then had huge success with the Raiders, including two Super Bowl victories.

I'd be curious if you guys think Goff or Wentz (or both) can resurrect their careers on their new teams.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Goff reminds me of Foles and could bounce around in a similar fashion.

Wentz could go the way of Jeff George. Big arm but struggles to really get it and his ego prevents him from getting along with his coaches and teammates.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'd rather have goff.
hard for me to call goff a bust when he was a major reason or at least part of the reason they went to the super bowl just a few years ago.
wentz is a turn over machine who can't stay healthy.
goff takes care of the ball for the most part and hasnt had any major injuries.
he'll be in detroit for awhile.

Flamma

Reaction score
Surround either one with talent and they're halfway good quarterbacks. Same with Nick Foles. Put any of them on a team like Chicago and they're going to struggle.

I think both will be OK as long as Wentz goes to the Colts. I don't think Chicago wants him anymore anyway. Either way, I don't foresee either of them getting another market value contract.