CFZ The Rubber Meets The Road - Dak with McCarthy as OC

Verdict

Reaction score
We talk about lots of different things on this board regarding what will make or break our 2023 season, but in my opinion the biggest single factor (besides possibly injuries—which are beyond anyone’s control) is how will Dak play with MM as OC. In my opinion that is THE single biggest factor on whether we will reach the SB or not.

KM had moments of brilliance, but he also had what many would call moments of greedy stupidity. I have no doubt that there will be elements of the game plan which may lack the imagination or KM but overall, I think slow and steady could possibly win this race.

Dak may or may not put up gaudy numbers this year but the only statistic I am concerned with is WINS. How many times did we see a KM led team give up on the run when we were gashing a team with the run? How many times did we see us have a bomb on 3rd and 1 killing a productive drive? How many times did we see unimaginative running plays? How many times did we see KM run a slow footed Zeke into the teeth of the defense instead of Pollard off tackle for 10? How many times did the offense have a short 3 and out and get a tired defense back on the field?

There may be areas that the Cowboys regress a little bit under MM, but I think overall you will see the team play more for wins and less for stats. We might not score 40 as many times, and yet win more games.

In my opinion I think MM will sit Dak down early and attempt to dial back the gunslinging and rely more on the defense and the running game. I think the draft hints at that too. There is an emphasis on winning at the line of scrimmage and stopping the run on defense.

The results may be less flashy, and less sexy but in the end result in more wins.

If so, I applaud getting back to hard nosed football and winning games. Less flash more substance. That’s what I think you are going to see under MM as OC.

Carter

Reaction score
Dak is no Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen in terms of passing and scrambling abilities and making flashy difficult plays. Thats whats needed in KM offense. We saw that last year when Dak forced Throws and was a turnover machine.

Dak is good when we have a working running game and the game comes easy to him. He also loves to have TE as his targets which should be a key part of the game next season with more running. I think MM wants to make Daks life easier.

Hadenough

Reaction score
You talk about MM having a ball control offense. I just don't think Dak can run that type of offense because of his inconsistency and short game accuracy.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I'm a broken record on this: The offense last year wasn't that good. The Cowboys lead the NFL in takeaways for two straight years. The defense was setting them up constantly, if not outright scoring themselves. On a per drive basis, Dallas was 19th in plays, 18th in yards and 27th in time of possession. Dallas was 15th in yards per play overall.

That was a mediocre offense being made look better than it was with defensive takeaways and frequently great field position. Left to their own devices, they often times struggled to maintain drives or put points on the board.

Edit: In case you care, the opposite was true of the defense. The constant offensive turnovers made them look worse than they were (which again is part of the reason Kellen is gone). Cowboys gave up 7th least plays, 6th least yards, 4th least points and got the most turnovers per drive on defense.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We talk about lots of different things on this board regarding what will make or break our 2023 season, but in my opinion the biggest single factor (besides possibly injuries—which are beyond anyone’s control) is how will Dak play with MM as OC. In my opinion that is THE single biggest factor on whether we will reach the SB or not.

KM had moments of brilliance, but he also had what many would call moments of greedy stupidity. I have no doubt that there will be elements of the game plan which may lack the imagination or KM but overall, I think slow and steady could possibly win this race.

Dak may or may not put up gaudy numbers this year but the only statistic I am concerned with is WINS. How many times did we see a KM led team give up on the run when we were gashing a team with the run? How many times did we see us have a bomb on 3rd and 1 killing a productive drive? How many times did we see unimaginative running plays? How many times did we see KM run a slow footed Zeke into the teeth of the defense instead of Pollard off tackle for 10? How many times did the offense have a short 3 and out and get a tired defense back on the field?

There may be areas that the Cowboys regress a little bit under MM, but I think overall you will see the team play more for wins and less for stats. We might not score 40 as many times, and yet win more games.

In my opinion I think MM will sit Dak down early and attempt to dial back the gunslinging and rely more on the defense and the running game. I think the draft hints at that too. There is an emphasis on winning at the line of scrimmage and stopping the run on defense.

The results may be less flashy, and less sexy but in the end result in more wins.

If so, I applaud getting back to hard nosed football and winning games. Less flash more substance. That’s what I think you are going to see under MM as OC.
Never saw moore abandon the run once when we were gashing them. That was garrett.

Only time moore got pass happy is when we got behind because he was running zeke.

Zeke was his biggest blunder. And pollard.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm a broken record on this: The offense last year wasn't that good. The Cowboys lead the NFL in takeaways for two straight years. The defense was setting them up constantly, if not outright scoring themselves. On a per drive basis, Dallas was 19th in plays, 18th in yards and 27th in time of possession. Dallas was 15th in yards per play overall.

That was a mediocre offense being made look better than it was with defensive takeaways and frequently great field position. Left to their own devices, they often times struggled to maintain drives or put points on the board.

Edit: In case you care, the opposite was true of the defense. The constant offensive turnovers made them look worse than they were (which again is part of the reason Kellen is gone). Cowboys gave up 7th least plays, 6th least yards, 4th least points and got the most turnovers per drive on defense.
#1 scoring offense in football under dak 3 years in a row.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This owner and team are all about flash over substance and Booger wants to prove that Prescott was worth the deal he gave him and is a top echelon QB.

Last season, the Cowboys ranked 6th in rush attempts and 19th in pass attempts. I do not see McC getting beyond that, if at that level. He seldom approached 50% rush attempts when calling plays in GB.

He has a QB coming off a criticized performance because of turnovers and he will be out to redeem himself and to show everyone he belongs and I can't blame him for that, ego is a strong force and can be beneficial.

I think any HC of the DC would have to deal with PT Booger's idea of what football is because convincing him that it's not all about marketing, promotion and entertainment is a tall order because look at where this team is and what it has accomplished in these miserable 27 years.

The fact that Booger openly stated that he gets the game plan every week says it all to me. I do not think that is the norm in the NFL, I do not think other GM's approve the HC's game plans. Then again, no other owner, even the ones with NFL experience, has ever said they were in it jocks to socks.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Uhhh, very simple explanation: the Offense had NO WEAPONS and the Oline was injured all season long. Add in the horrible passing schemes and having one of the worst separation WR groups, well, it should be quite obvious why the Offense struggled last year.

irishline

Reaction score
Greenway? Up 14, 4th quarter. Passed 14 times. Ran 4.
There are literally more than a handful of games over Moore's tenure. Without looking anything up I remember the Bills and the Bears a few years ago where we gashed them with the run and took an early lead only to abandon it and lose down the stretch.

Anyone who says it didn't happen really is either not remembering or just doesn't want to remember. That or blame the running game, wrongly IMO, for the demise.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
Dak is no Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen in terms of passing and scrambling abilities and making flashy difficult plays. Thats whats needed in KM offense. We saw that last year when Dak forced Throws and was a turnover machine.

Dak is good when we have a working running game and the game comes easy to him. He also loves to have TE as his targets which should be a key part of the game next season with more running. I think MM wants to make Daks life easier.
Kellen Moore didn’t coach radio to throw the ball to the wrong team. He didn’t coach him to scramble a season away. He didn’t dial up the only throw to the 5 yard hitch guy.

Radio will get McCarthy fired in the next 2 seasons at the exact same time that he is no longer a cowboy.

lopey

Reaction score

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Just a point of note, his “gunslinging” was a combination of QB, play calling and having only 1 WR.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There are literally more than a handful of games over Moore's tenure. Without looking anything up I remember the Bills and the Bears a few years ago where we gashed them with the run and took an early lead only to abandon it and lose down the stretch.

Anyone who says it didn't happen really is either not remembering or just doesn't want to remember. That or blame the running game for the demise.
There was a guy that studied it looking at how much we ran in different times of the game. Now there is always going to be a time here or there where it may look like hes doing that. Most of it is when we are way down and run game isnt working. Which is often when Zeke was running it.

Other times the defense may have been stacking the box and dictating. IF your run game is gashing then they are going to do everything they can to shut it down. You then have to pass when the opens are there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just a point of note, his “gunslinging” was a combination of QB, play calling and having only 1 WR.
Most times it was situational. Cowboys were way down and had to start passing because we were running out of time. Football 101.

irishline

Reaction score
Kellen Moore didn’t coach radio to throw the ball to the wrong team. He didn’t coach him to scramble a season away. He didn’t dial up the only throw to the 5 yard hitch guy.

Radio will get McCarthy fired in the next 2 seasons at the exact same time that he is no longer a cowboy.
Pretty sure video already killed the radio star.

Strykerscm

Reaction score
I hated all those int’ s Moore called for last year. They made Daky look bad.

Especially the one in the playoffs against SF where he hit the defender right in the chest.

What a terrible play call!
Moore just didn’t have a good grip of the football and it slipped.