The talk is Cooper won't be back

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Sounds like the end to the great Amari Cooper era. Thank God. Absolutely overrated.

Wangchung83

Reaction score

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cooper should be on the team for another 4-5 years. He is only 27. In my eyes, this was a great trade. The issue, as always, is that our FO overpaid and thus he became too expensive for us. If Coop was in the 15-16m a year range (Kupp, Godwin, Evans), he would still be on the team. They overpaid and thus he became too expensive.

Having spent a 1st round pick for a year and a half rental, overpaying was *inevitable*, and that was the *best case* scenario. Worst case, Cooper isn't that good, and he's not worth signing. Best case is he is good, and we'll have to pay through the nose to keep him. That was baked into the cake the day of the trade.

Cooper could have gotten a great deal anywhere. Maybe not quite 20 mil, but close. But the Joneses had to make good on the trade to bring Cooper here or look like fools. All the leverage was on Cooper's side.

Reactions: CWR

Syron

Reaction score
Having spent a 1st round pick for a year and a half rental, overpaying was *inevitable*, and that was the *best case* scenario. Worst case, Cooper isn't that good, and he's not worth signing. Best case is he is good, and we'll have to pay through the nose to keep him. That was baked into the cake the day of the trade.

Cooper could have gotten a great deal anywhere. Maybe not quite 20 mil, but close. But the Joneses had to make good on the trade to bring Cooper here or look like fools. All the leverage was on Cooper's side.
Coopers cap number this past year was 5 million more than Davante Adams (the next highest paid that wasn't tagged). This isn't overpaying, this is "Everything is bigger in Texas" Jones family logic. He wanted the 100m contract splash on the news.

Hill, Godwin, William are all in the 15m range. He should have been in that range...and that was overpaying (which as you point out was to be expected due to the 1st round trade).

NotForLong

Reaction score

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not strictly. It starts with money vs. production. His production doesn't warrant his pay. Numberwise, Lamb was our No. 1 receiver last year.

Second, the salary cap savings can be used to sign Gallup as the No. 2 and Wilson as the No. 3. So essentially it's one receiver for $20 million vs. two for $20 million (counting Coop's dead cap hit).
If that's the case then the list shouldn't start or end with Cooper....there should be a few guys following him out the door if its about production and money.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If that's the case then the list shouldn't start or end with Cooper....there should be a few guys following him out the door if its about production and money.

There might be. It really depends on our options. Coop can be cut for lack of production IF Gallup is his replacement because Gallup is considered a starting receiver.

Lawrence's production is not worthy of his contract, either, but cutting/trading him depends on the options. Do we sign Gregory instead? If so, do we make Parsons a full-time end? Do we sign Gregory and a free agent and keep Parsons at linebacker?

Jarwin hasn't lived up to his contract, but do we sign Schultz no matter what? Do we franchise him?

One thing we know is that Dallas is not going to bring in quality free agents, so the Joneses have to have an in-house solution, including the option of re-signing some of our free agents.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There might be. It really depends on our options. Coop can be cut for lack of production IF Gallup is his replacement because Gallup is considered a starting receiver.

Lawrence's production is not worthy of his contract, either, but cutting/trading him depends on the options. Do we sign Gregory instead? If so, do we make Parsons a full-time end? Do we sign Gregory and a free agent and keep Parsons at linebacker?

Jarwin hasn't lived up to his contract, but do we sign Schultz no matter what? Do we franchise him?

One thing we know is that Dallas is not going to bring in quality free agents, so the Joneses have to have an in-house solution, including the option of re-signing some of our free agents.
And this makes no sense to me. Not what you’re saying but this approach they are taking….so Cooper needs to go because of his money vs production….so as a result I’m going to give that same money to Gallup who hasn’t had a 1k receiving season in two years, Gregory who still hasn’t played a full season and is a out to turn 30……and Kearse who has one good season under his belt. They are committing the same mistakes that they’ve been doing. I just hope they have a solid plan for getting rid of Cooper because the offense is ugly when he’s not out there.

gimmesix

Reaction score
And this makes no sense to me. Not what you’re saying but this approach they are taking….so Cooper needs to go because of his money vs production….so as a result I’m going to give that same money to Gallup who hasn’t had a 1k receiving season in two years, Gregory who still hasn’t played a full season and is a out to turn 30……and Kearse who has one good season under his belt. They are committing the same mistakes that they’ve been doing. I just hope they have a solid plan for getting rid of Cooper because the offense is ugly when he’s not out there.

Well, they won't give the same money to Gallup. I think that's their point. They don't feel Cooper lived up to the contract, so they cut him but only because they have another option. It comes down to Cooper at $20 million vs. Gallup at $12 million to $15 million. They don't believe Cooper is $5 million better than their second option. And they also believe they can get both Gallup and Wilson with what they save (possibly more if long-term deals because their cap hit won't be as high the first year).

I look at it like the Byron Jones situation. Jones played outstanding for us before becoming a free agent, but lacked the interceptions needed to warrant the huge deal it would have taken to retain him. The Joneses looked at the roster and thought there's a drop-off between Jones and Awuzie/Lewis/Brown, but it's not such a big drop-off that he's worth that much more money, so they moved on based on their options.

Their gambling on Gallup and Wilson being better for the team for the price than keeping Cooper. I'm not saying I agree with them, just that I believe that is their approach based on previous situations. If they have options to replace a more expensive player, especially one who they don't feel is proving he's worth his price tag, then they'll take that path even if there's an expected drop-off.

gimmesix

Reaction score

The Tone Setters

@thetonesetters

·
14h

Star WR Amari Cooper reportedly wants out from the #Cowboys, and has grown tired of QB Dak Prescott’s “poor work ethic and unorthodox play style”. Per sources close to him, Cooper may pursue a reunion with #Patriots QB and former college teammate, Mac Jones.
https://mobile.twitter.com/thetonesetters/status/1499880679374475264/photo/1

Was Jones ever a teammate of Cooper's? Sure, they went to the same college, but I don't think Jones would have even been at Alabama before Coop left.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Star WR Amari Cooper reportedly wants out from the #Cowboys, and has grown tired of QB Dak Prescott’s “poor work ethic and unorthodox play style”. Per sources close to him, Cooper may pursue a reunion with #Patriots QB and former college teammate, Mac Jones.
sounds about right. he's too busy being buddies and making commercials, but it's not like he's going to get any better.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think so.That doesn’t make sense.Here’s the actual tweet:

maxresdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

jay94

Reaction score
Sounds like the end to the great Amari Cooper era. Thank God. Absolutely overrated.

Compared to Zeke he's a first ballot hof meanwhile Zeke wouldn't even be starting on other teams.