The TE position, OJ Howard. other options

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We have a fixed te scheme that never changes. Theres not enough rotation w rbs and wrs. Jarwin hasnt proven himself on paper and this offense is the same checkdown te system that hasnt produced the benchmarks worthy of a Champion.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones believes in Country Club Members instead of NFL Team Members. Jarwin can not block, Jarwin has never been a no.1 TE anywhere, Jarwin does not have great speed or elite separation, but Jerry likes Jarwin. So Jerry Jones will not bring in a TE like OJ Howard that can out block , has been a no.1 TE at every level, is faster with elite separation, and is younger to take Jarwin's Job through competition.

If this happens (trading/signing OJ Howard), then there is actual real change with M&M as Head Coach.

Country Club Member Stats
1008270.jpg

Name: Blake Jarwin
College: Oklahoma State Number: 47
Height: 6-5 Weight: 246
Position: TE Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2017
Combine Results
Pro Day Results
Dates: 03/09/17
Hand: 09 7/8 Arm: 34 1/8
Wingspan: 81 7/8
Height: 6051
Weight: 246
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.76
10 Yrd Dash: 1.58
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 21
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.39
3-Cone Drill: 7.44

NFL No.1 TE Stats Non Country Club Member Stats
Selected: Round 1, Pick 19, Overall Pick 19 by Bucs
127336.jpg

Name: O.J. Howard
College: Alabama Number: 88
Height: 6-6 Weight: 251
Position: TE Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2017
Combine Results
Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6055
Weight: 251
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.51
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.52
20 Yard (ET): 2.61
20 Yard (HH): 2.54
10 Yard (ET): 1.55
10 Yard (HH): 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 30
Broad Jump: 10'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.16
3-Cone Drill: 6.85

Witten's numbers were closer to Jarwin than Howard...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Its a really interesting idea since Lewis and Howard are both such wildcards. But with the lockdown preventing minicamps and the coaches not having as much information on Diggs and Robinson (or anyone else in the new scheme), I would think they play it safe and avoid moves like this.

If we are able to get in some preseason, it could be a move Dallas would make at cutdowns depending on how the corners and Jarwin play.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It takes about 3 games. If he cant produce he is only part of a rotation. The tes looked good for 2 games and then they got served! It was as bad as watching swaim. Run some dual slot wrs and rb formations for goodness sakes. Open rate, catch rate scoring rate.. Ya got 5-6 guys who can play slot with motors and a durable running qb
Lol, Swaim? You’re stuck in 2018. Time to move along young man.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
OMG, a non-Dak thread...how could that be (or did I just make it a Dak thread LOL)….

although most are elated that Witten is gone (I didn't think he was as bad as everyone made him to be, but clearly wasn't the answer), knowing that the team had been looking for his replacement for years. most are excited about Jarwin, and projecting based on fantasy football, etc. for him to get first team reps and just double/triple his out put (half joking)….Jarwin is still green and his game leaves a lot to be desired and we just don't know how he will do as a full time starter, where he doesn't have to line up every down, block and he didn't have to deal with primary defenders and was an after thought on offense and often played against weaker defenders and only succeeded in certain plays......

although we have CD, Coop and Gallup. zeke and pollard, the TE position is lacking both in starter and back up....we signed a FA TE who is primarily a blocker (so his use is predictable).

there was talk about OJ Howard, with Tampa having signed Gronk and paid Brate, Howard maybe the forgotten man. so is he available. can we go after him. what will it take. having Howard who doesn't have great stats, but good and can be a decent blocker and decent receiver with some speed added to the TEs would only make that position into a strength and de-risk Jarwin being the primary and right now the only viable TE on the roster...

so would it be a bad trade sending Lewis to Tampa for Howard? they have a need at CB and we have a need at TE....win win?

You say trade for a TE that in 3 seasons hasn't played an entire 16 games in a season yet, that was so easily replaced by a TE that even though he was good when he played but was retired, that the last 2 seasons Howard had little more yards receiving as a starter that Jarwin had as a non starter and you want to trade either a draft pick or a player for. I thank God that you have zero to do with the Cowboys..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You say trade for a TE that in 3 seasons hasn't played an entire 16 games in a season yet, that was so easily replaced by a TE that even though he was good when he played but was retired, that the last 2 seasons Howard had little more yards receiving as a starter that Jarwin had as a non starter and you want to trade either a draft pick or a player for. I thank God that you have zero to do with the Cowboys..
I never said he was great....and he hasn't been great, but he is better than any of our current TEs. he is better than Jarwin and is a better blocker than jarwin. so having Howards, will only improve the position. I didn't say give up a 1st, 2nd or 3rd or even a 4th...I said a low round pick, 5th at most...at most.....reluctantly, 6th more likable.....what are you going to get with a 5th or 6th round pick? or a player that's 4th or 5th in our depth chart...for a guy that will be 2nd in our depth chart...I am not sold on Jarwin….everyone loves him because of his play against the Giants....outside of Giants he has been very meh.....he is not a good blocker at all and he benefited from playing against back up LBs and safeties...as a starter, he won't have that benefit......

so its not that hard to see how we would improve adding howard..

and btw, gronk signing has to do more with Brady...and gronk is gronk. if healthy, he is very elite.....

sorry, you are close minded on this.....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im stuck in a 25 year losing slump is more like it. If Kc didnt have Kelce theres no way they would be CHAMPIONS
What happened over 25 years is not all on the TE (although you seem to continually suggest it is), and certainly not on Jarwin.

As for Kelse, it may be true KC wouldn't have won without him, but that is not the same as saying a team has to have a Kelce level TE to be champion. Most teams do not have that. Mike McCarthy certainly didn't when he won the SB with the Packers.

It's like with when Seattle and Baltimore won their SB's - neither would have won without having probably the most dominant defense in the NFL, but that doesn't mean having the most dominant defense in the NFL is the only way a team can win a championship.

Every team that wins has its own formula and it's own strengths, but it seems you think winning and losing with every team is all about the TE position, and that having the best of the best at that position is the only way to win. History blows that thinking completely out of the water.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
What happened over 25 years is not all on the TE (although you seem to continually suggest it is), and certainly not on Jarwin.

As for Kelse, it may be true KC wouldn't have won without him, but that is not the same as saying a team has to have a Kelce level TE to be champion. Most teams do not have that. Mike McCarthy certainly didn't when he won the SB with the Packers.

It's like with when Seattle and Baltimore won their SB's - neither would have won without having probably the most dominant defense in the NFL, but that doesn't mean having the most dominant defense in the NFL is the only way a team can win a championship.

Every team that wins has its own formula and it's own strengths, but it seems you think winning and losing with every team is all about the TE position, and that having the best of the best at that position is the only way to win. History blows that thinking completely out of the water.

It is when the tes are playing every passing snap. Aka Jason Witten and Geoff Swaim but they cant score. Sneaking open for 3 yard receptions on 3rd and 20 is the Cowboys History. They shouldnt use them so much. A te is not a dealbreaker for a football squad if hes not good against elite defenders. Im sorry to argue but I watched a highly successful oiler team for 10 years. The problem
Was the same as the cowboys. You line up in the same monotonous formations w tbe same personell and only target the top 3 guys and its easy to defend. our 4th and 5th receiving options suck and arent drawing coverage away from the top receivers. The oilers scheme did. If you put our talent in their scheme we would be a way better team. Better rb and also a running qb. Nobody is insenuating we do it full time but when you need points and yards fast a checkdown te system is trash bro. How about we come out 4-5 wide when the speed on paper suggests it? Nah. Just the same old crap and #82 didnt come out for better receivers at that down and distance.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is when the tes are playing every passing snap. Aka Jason Witten and Geoff Swaim but they cant score. Sneaking open for 3 yard receptions on 3rd and 20 is the Cowboys History. They shouldnt use them so much. A te is not a dealbreaker for a football squad if hes not good against elite defenders. Im sorry to argue but I watched a highly successful oiler team for 10 years. The problem
Was the same as the cowboys. You line up in the same monotonous formations w tbe same personell and only target the top 3 guys and its easy to defend. our 4th and 5th receiving options suck and arent drawing coverage away from the top receivers. The oilers scheme did. If you put our talent in their scheme we would be a way better team. Better rb and also a running qb. Nobody is insenuating we do it full time but when you need points and yards fast a checkdown te system is trash bro. How about we come out 4-5 wide when the speed on paper suggests it? Nah. Just the same old crap and #82 didnt come out for better receivers at that down and distance.
You still don't know that Swaim isn't on the team, do you? lol Why don't we talk about every TE over the last 25 years?

And, I'm not going to keep going over with you about your complete lack of understanding of the TE position, or the reality that a 4th or 5th WR isn't going to get more yardage and TD's than a TE anyway, or replace the full gamut of the roles and responsibilities of the position. Take that as a reminder, but I'm tired of going into detail with someone that doesn't understand the game beyond what he gets from video games or fantasy football, and who doesn't even care to learn.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

I betcha if This Coach was here last year we woulda been watching Jared Cook. The te that sent us home in our only real playoff game that we didnt stink it up

Hes 5 times better than Witten and Jarwin.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
You still don't know that Swaim isn't on the team, do you? lol Why don't we talk about every TE over the last 25 years?

And, I'm not going to keep going over with you about your complete lack of understanding of the TE position, or the reality that a 4th or 5th WR isn't going to get more yardage and TD's than a TE anyway, or replace the full gamut of the roles and responsibilities of the position. Take that as a reminder, but I'm tired of going into detail with someone that doesn't understand the game beyond what he gets from video games or fantasy football, and who doesn't even care to learn.

The gamets of the position is ignorant. The winning tes are deep ballers and scorers. The checkdowners and non scorers are Losers

The only gamets we have at te are losing gamets. They cant make a play unless its in meaningless situations. They draw no coverage away from the other receivers. Lmao. All those skillets are LOSING SKILLSETS

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Lol, Swaim? You’re stuck in 2018. Time to move along young man.

You think it ok to have #82 out there on every passing snap because hes a great blocker. Then you blame it all on the other guys when he cant pick up the 3rd and 20 or go up and get a 50-/50 ball like Jimmy Graham or Martellus lmao

Where are their winning receiver highlights. Lmao. Oh thats right there arent any? It runs hand in hand with losing.

Our checkdown te system is trash. Theyve had steaks at most positions and they still suck

Is this success at te future success or past success youre talking about because i dont see any past success at all.

Been waiting for 6 years Rogers. Every year its a new yr and squad but the tes still suck and we do too

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I betcha if This Coach was here last year we woulda been watching Jared Cook. The te that sent us home in our only real playoff game that we didnt stink it up

Hes 5 times better than Witten and Jarwin.
lol - this cracks me up, and further solidifies how you post without any knowledge of what you are talking about. Yes, Cook was involved in that play, and it hurt the Cowboys, but he was not the Kelce type TE you are talking about being necessary. In fact, that season where Cook made that play he only had 377 yards and 1 TD.

As for betting Cook would have been with the Cowboys if McCarthy was here last year, Cook only played for McCarthy one season, so McCarthy doesn't have the history with Cook you apparently think. Apparently the fact you saw that one catch has convinced you that Cook has proven more than he has.

But even if you want to stick with that narrative, explain this ...

Cook's 1st 2 years in the NFL he had a total of 430 yards and 1 TD
Jarwin 1st two years in the NFL he had 672 yards and 6 TD's.

So, how is Jarwin hopeless, but Cook became the stud you imagine him to be with such a mundane start?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Honestly, with our receiving corps, and the assumption we will be throwing more to the RBs, how many balls are left for a TE?
Not to mention shorter WCO routes and screens. We've got Jarwin, and the Belldozer for blocking.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. So we have to get the ball to Zeke, Pollard, Cooper, Gallup and Lamb. And then if we trade for Howard, he's going to expect us to utilize his pass-catching skills too. Nah, Jarwin is good. He knows his role and is happy to simply be playing. We don't need another highly drafted player whining because he doesn't get the ball. Granted, I was high on Howard coming out of Alabama. But we don't need him because he won't get the ball that much, and I doubt he wants to go to another team that under-utilizes his skills.

Pass … but not to Howard. ;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'd like to see what Lewis can do with a defensive coordinator who believes in takeaways. I believe he'll lead the Boyz in interceptions.

fivetwos

Reaction score
lol - this cracks me up, and further solidifies how you post without any knowledge of what you are talking about. Yes, Cook was involved in that play, and it hurt the Cowboys, but he was not the Kelce type TE you are talking about being necessary. In fact, that season where Cook made that play he only had 377 yards and 1 TD.

As for betting Cook would have been with the Cowboys if McCarthy was here last year, Cook only played for McCarthy one season, so McCarthy doesn't have the history with Cook you apparently think. Apparently the fact you saw that one catch has convinced you that Cook has proven more than he has.

But even if you want to stick with that narrative, explain this ...

Cook's 1st 2 years in the NFL he had a total of 430 yards and 1 TD
Jarwin 1st two years in the NFL he had 672 yards and 6 TD's.

So, how is Jarwin hopeless, but Cook became the stud you imagine him to be with such a mundane start?
Well I do suppose it stands to reason that MM would not have shown such blind loyalty to Witten, who clearly couldnt run any longer...I dont care how many catches he had.

Jarwin wasnt given a bundle, but he got enough, and it would have been nice to find out more about him prior to having to do that.

I'm confident in him though, and think he will be ok.

His numbers were down because of what I previously mentioned. There were games in which he was simply ignored in favor of Witten.

But hey, those type of things are what finally got Garrett out of here. So, fair enough.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I do suppose it stands to reason that MM would not have shown such blind loyalty to Witten, who clearly couldnt run any longer...I dont care how many catches he had.

Jarwin wasnt given a bundle, but he got enough, and it would have been nice to find out more about him prior to having to do that.

I'm confident in him though, and think he will be ok.

His numbers were down because of what I previously mentioned. There were games in which he was simply ignored in favor of Witten.

But hey, those type of things are what finally got Garrett out of here. So, fair enough.
Agreed with all of this.