The Tony Pollard pick

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClay was on the draft show this morning and said something about Moore went through the players they were looking at and gave his opinion. He didn't make the pick for them from what he was saying.

This is more what I thought it would be like, a group discussion. Then they choose.

cern

Reaction score
Not surprising at all
It's called self delusion
You are a great example of it regarding Garrett
Others choose to fool themselves at the altar of the great Moore
mcvay of the rams was called a stupid choice by many fans and experts. he wasn't much older than his qb, who was also deemed to be a bust. and all before seeing what either could do. those opinions have changed now. some fool themselves into believing they are prescient and all knowing. able to judge without ever giving the person an opportunity to perform his/her job. there are opinions on what Kellen moore might or might not do. but no knowledge. the event hasn't happened yet.

visionary

Reaction score
mcvay of the rams was called a stupid choice by many fans and experts. he wasn't much older than his qb, who was also deemed to be a bust. and all before seeing what either could do. those opinions have changed now. some fool themselves into believing they are prescient and all knowing. able to judge without ever giving the person an opportunity to perform his/her job. there are opinions on what Kellen moore might or might not do. but no knowledge. the event hasn't happened yet.

Have you even bothered to look up Sean McVay's coaching resume ?

He started coaching in 2008 as Asst WR coach
WR coach in USFL 2009
Asst TE coach Commanders 2010
TE coach reddkins 2011-2013
OC Commanders 2014/2015/2016

Then became HC

So he coached at various levels for 6 years before he became OC

Moore has been QB coach for 1 year

1 year

And you think that is a good example why Moore should have been made OC?

McVay literally had a coaching resume 6 times longer than Moore when each of them became OC

cern

Reaction score
Have you even bothered to look up Sean McVay's coaching resume ?

He started coaching in 2008 as Asst WR coach
WR coach in USFL 2009
Asst TE coach Commanders 2010
TE coach reddkins 2011-2013
OC Commanders 2014/2015/2016

Then became HC

So he coached at various levels for 6 years before he became OC

Moore has been QB coach for 1 year

1 year

And you think that is a good example why Moore should have been made OC?

McVay literally had a coaching resume 6 times longer than Moore when each of them became OC
Despite that, many said he was a poor choice. I am only the messenger. But I won't pass judgment on Moore until I've seen him given a chance. Only seems prudent.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There is always no evidence to the statement "we could have gotten him later". I always laugh at it because it is so easy to say and impossible to prove. Look at the Raiders pick at 4 . You do not know what other teams plans are!

That is always based on scouting reports of guys who are not good enough at it to get NFL jobs!

100 percent.

I would also add the people claiming “we could have gotten Player X later” or using internet draft sites and media scouts as their basis for reference. That’s obviously misguided these sites and media scouts don’t have nearly the resources and contacts as the actual teams, so their prospects rankings are severely uninformed.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I've taken a stand
I've said for the last 4 years (at least) that the cowboys will never win a SB with Garrett. That's taking a stand

When Garrett first came here Garrett apologists like you said that we would have multiple championships with Garrett in 10 years . Well it's been 10 years, how many championships do we have

Where is your stand other than blind worship of a moron

Lol. Way to put it out there: taking the field against a single team four years in a row.

I’ll tell the other Big Game Hunters to make some room at the head table for you.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Position coach is more about experience, OC more about design. There was no reason to consider him much more than a clipboard holder for Dak as QB coach. As OC, maybe all the talk of Boy Genius is right.

The main excitement of Moore as OC is that he's *not* Linehan.

Yeah, that must be it.

I do think there’s something to the “not Linehan” angle.

visionary

Reaction score
Despite that, many said he was a poor choice. I am only the messenger. But I won't pass judgment on Moore until I've seen him given a chance. Only seems prudent.

Here is a life lesson to keep in mind:

A decision made on the basis of a bad process is a bad decision

You may luck out and that decision may work out one time but you will get bad results far far far more often than you will get good results

The point is that hiring of Moore as OC is a bad decision made as a result of a broken process

Decisions like this made by this organization at the whim of an idiot owner are the reason we have won nothing on 23 years

I'm not passing judgement on Moore, this is yet another reflection of the inept way this organization does business

visionary

Reaction score
Lol. Way to put it out there: taking the field against a single team four years in a row.

I’ll tell the other Big Game Hunters to make some room at the head table for you.

I thought you were an English major but apparently you don't understand the meaning of "never" any more than you understand odds

cern

Reaction score
Here is a life lesson to keep in mind:

A decision made on the basis of a bad process is a bad decision

You may luck out and that decision may work out one time but you will get bad results far far far more often than you will get good results

The point is that hiring of Moore as OC is a bad decision made as a result of a broken process

Decisions like this made by this organization at the whim of an idiot owner are the reason we have won nothing on 23 years

I'm not passing judgement on Moore, this is yet another reflection of the inept way this organization does business
The league is full of retread oc's, DC's and hc's. And yet this is the way things are done in the nfl. Some are just afraid to do something new. I don't necessarily consider a thought process inept just because it's different.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
While others seek safety in actively not taking a stand on anything because they can always throw small rocks from the shadows at anything that moves and still pretend to be big game hunters. I think I get it now.
:lmao:Damn,,,:lmao2:LMAO

*HILARIOUSLY*

_sturt_

Reaction score
From what I keep hearing it was Kellen Moores pick. It was told he asked. I kept hearing this thru out the week.

Then I heard it yesterday, and then again this morning listening to some cowboy bloggers.

Didnt read too much into it at first but now I am wondering if it is true.

What could Mr.Moore be up to:huh:

SIAP...

Helman got the Draft Master himself to admit today on the podcast that Pollard was his own pet cat. Wouldn't have believed that if I didn't hear it from McClay's own voice, just like I refuse to believe someone posting internet rumors in general.

That pretty much says everything that needs to be said about why Pollard went with the first 4th rounder, not the second.

Now, who knows, maybe he's others' pet cat as well. But McClay's enthusiasm isn't just internet rumor, it's verbatim.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
From what I keep hearing it was Kellen Moores pick. It was told he asked. I kept hearing this thru out the week.

Then I heard it yesterday, and then again this morning listening to some cowboy bloggers.

Didnt read too much into it at first but now I am wondering if it is true.

What could Mr.Moore be up to:huh:
Good chance Pollard is our slot WR in waiting.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a guy go from reviled whipping boy to prodigal son the way Kellen Moore has in Dallas. And, like, overnight. This time last year people were losing their minds he was named position coach because he was completely unqualified for the job. Now he’s the offensive savior as OC and it’s like everybody just pretends this is what they always wanted and expected. It’s weird.
Happens every year at this time, last year many were heaping praise on the Hurns and Thompson signings and they were exactly what this offense needed, especially with the "legendary" Sanjay Lal as our new WR coach. This time last year many were convinced Sanjay could walk on water or at least teach any WR to run routes on water.

_sturt_

Reaction score
He's a significantly bigger hunk of meat than Sproles, and accordingly, seems to have been used as more of a downfield receiver than Sproles ever has been. As I watch him, it's less about his shiftiness, more about his vision and ability to make good decisions as he sees holes develop and then, ability to accelerate at key moments.

And I have no complaints about Lal. I believe he was a discernible improvement over Dooley. He couldn't walk on water, but he did develop a 3rd round receiver into a genuine force to be reckoned with by the end of the season, and he did get in there immediately when Cooper arrived and got him oriented seemingly quickly. It's always a mystery from our fan perspective to know much of anything for certain about assistant coaches because we just don't have the grapevines or the hidden mics and cams to know. Perhaps it was all Gallup, perhaps it was all Cooper. But on the surface, I grant Lal some credit.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a guy go from reviled whipping boy to prodigal son the way Kellen Moore has in Dallas. And, like, overnight. This time last year people were losing their minds he was named position coach because he was completely unqualified for the job. Now he’s the offensive savior as OC and it’s like everybody just pretends this is what they always wanted and expected. It’s weird.

A lot of people have said some really complimentary things about him since then. And then fans looked into it a bit more and realized some really complimentary things about his football IQ have been said all along. And then they looked into things a bit more and realized that Boise State has for many years run one of the more sophisticated offenses in all of college, and since the trend has been to incorporate college concepts into the pro game, they figured maybe the kid does have something that could help this stale and frankly unimaginative offense. And then they looked at the reality that it was going to be nearly impossible to attract a more established name with better credentials with a lame duck head coach. So they settled on their new reality and then found a way to sell themselves on it. It's what fans do. And probably should do.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm not sure who the OP's source(s) were, but I'm highly skeptical of the assertion made by his source(s). Nothing personal.

I originally was skeptical just because I'm 56, and I know the weight that 30 year-olds in their first year in any given position tend to be able to pull within an organization. It's not impossible, but it's highly implausible that they picked Pollard because Kellen Moore wanted them to pick Pollard.

And/but after the revelation yesterday that Pollard was specifically discussed after Helman asked McClay to reveal his pet cat for this draft... that says everything that needs to be said about why we drafted Pollard ahead of Johnson. End of discussion. Moore may have liked Pollard, too. (Garrett has made clear since then how much he liked Pollard as well, fwiw.)

But there's no rational person who fails to understand the relative volume of McClay's voice in that war room over anything Kellen Moore might have said.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
For too long, for whatever reasons, we have failed to utilize a, er, utility back in your offense.
We employ that 90s, hand-it-to-Emmitt running game that was good for when we were winning Super Bowls, but now? eh.
We tried to do it with Dunbar and Austin, but they just weren't durable enough or the coaches didn't trust them.
Now we have Pollard. Now we have a weapon we, hopefully, can trust.
Adding this element to our offense will make us more dynamic, similar to the Saints.
If we add this element and have an option of either lightning up the score board or plodding down the field with Zeke, we can put defensively pressure with our front four on other teams' offenses.
I like what we're planning to do conceptually. Let's see if we can do it realistically, i.e., in games.