The Tony Pollard pick

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Pollard's a guy that many an OC would covet. He's the swiss army knife of utility players. Need a 3rd down RB? He's your guy. Perhaps a slot receiver would be your choice? Pollard's your guy. It might be handy to have someone adept as an ST contributor. Guess what . . . you guessed it -- he's your guy there, too. If that's not enough, kick returns are in his bag as well. In short, if Moore sees a need for any or all of those things, it's a pretty good bet that Pollard has it covered. Gotta admit, I'm quite fond of one guy holding so many options. :)

Last edited:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'm not sure who the OP's source(s) were, but I'm highly skeptical of the assertion made by his source(s). Nothing personal.

I originally was skeptical just because I'm 56, and I know the weight that 30 year-olds in their first year in any given position tend to be able to pull within an organization. It's not impossible, but it's highly implausible that they picked Pollard because Kellen Moore wanted them to pick Pollard.

And/but after the revelation yesterday that Pollard was specifically discussed after Helman asked McClay to reveal his pet cat for this draft... that says everything that needs to be said about why we drafted Pollard ahead of Johnson. End of discussion. Moore may have liked Pollard, too. (Garrett has made clear since then how much he liked Pollard as well, fwiw.)

But there's no rational person who fails to understand the relative volume of McClay's voice in that war room over anything Kellen Moore might have said.

I'm even skeptical of my sources. I read cowboys articles and listen to cowboy bloggers daily. Some info is interesting but I dont take everything as truth.

I just shared it after hearing and reading about it here and there.

If mcclay said it was his own pick so be it. I am just glade we drafted Pollard.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Hoping they find a way to incorporate both Pollard and Tavon into the offense. That's a lot of speed that can be used to force the opposing defense to expand and create space.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
the first td scored under Moore

CZB: we are losing Moore, HC job next year, hes jst to good.

_sturt_

Reaction score
It deserves its own thread. Hard to understand how a 30 year-old rookie OC who was, at best, his employers' third choice for the job, and maybe even fourth, is being bestowed with all this seeming confidence that the hot-seat HC is going to hand the fate of his career over to him. It just strains every molecule of common sense.

But it's dawned on me that a really good working theory for that is, either way, whether highly successful or horrendously unsuccessful, the anti-Garrett mob will not be denied their satisfaction that someone other than Garrett gets credited with any success that may occur this season. And if the season sucks, then it's all the more satisfactory because that will be empirically Garrett's fault, and he'll be out.

No. This is Garrett's team. Win or lose. He will own whatever the record is this season. A 30 year-old kid may inject some interesting ideas into the game plans, but only to the degree that the 53 year-old head coach allows those ideas into the game plans. If this team fails, it will be right to replace Garrett. If this team wins, it will be right to see Garrett get another contract. Absolutely. This is Garrett's team. Win or lose.

_sturt_

Reaction score
You're right. But that's my qualification, too, of course. And though I'll sign up for that in a heartbeat, I have to be honest, you really don't want me to be OC.

Linehan was praised when smashmouth football worked, and it didn't matter that the defense knew what was coming. Linehan was cursed when it didn't, even though there routinely were o-line mistakes or injuries at those moments when it didn't.

We didn't lose to LAR because of the offensive side of the ball last season.

Linehan = convenient scapegoat.

Having said that, I think this was really about Garrett wanting firmer control of his own fate. Really, whoever replaced Linehan was going to be expected to share most of the OC responsibilities with Red, imo. I still believe Red wanted Dan Campbell, but ultimately Campbell probably figured his career is on safer ground in New Orleans with a HoF QB and a HC who almost certainly will be asked to sign another contract there next off-season.

Trying to get this back on the OP's intended track...

As unimpressed as I believe we all ought to be that Kellen Moore is our OC, I can't help but share the enthusiasm that he's going to try to live up to this billing as a young innovator. It indeed could be very fun to watch Pollard.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Pollard's a guy that many an OC would covet. He's the swiss army knife of utility players. Need a 3rd down RB? He's your guy. Perhaps a slot receiver would be your choice? Pollard's your guy. It might be handy to have someone adept as an ST contributor. Guess what . . . you guessed it -- he's your guy there, too. If that's not enough, kick returns are in his bag as well. In short, if Moore sees a need for any or all of those things, it's a pretty good bet that Pollard has it covered. Gotta admit, I'm quite fond of one guy holding so many options. :)

I get why people are excited about him, but I think Pollard’s receiving skills are being over hyped.

I’ve watched a fair bit of him at this point, and not just highlight reels, but as a receiver – he ran poor routes and dropped some gimmies.

He’s not a guy that you’re going to want to play in the slot over an actual wide receiver.

A lot of his catches were behind the line of scrimmage.

Overall, from what I’ve seen, he is the type of back that relies on good blocking to be productive and you didn’t see a lot of him on the field without Henderson there as well to act as a distraction, so I’m curious to see how he does when it’s all on him.

Ken

Reaction score
I get why people are excited about him, but I think Pollard’s receiving skills are being over hyped.

I’ve watched a fair bit of him at this point, and not just highlight reels, but as a receiver – he ran poor routes and dropped some gimmies.

He’s not a guy that you’re going to want to play in the slot over an actual wide receiver.

Overall, from what I’ve seen, he is the type of back that relies on good blocking to be productive and you didn’t see a lot of him on the field without Henderson there as well to act as a distraction, so I’m curious to see how he does when it’s all on him.
Ya, i am not sure what you are watching. This guy impresses the hell out of me and I played both Wr and Rb many moons ago haha. This guy could be the steal of the draft IMO.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I've been going by what little I've read, seen and heard, rather than actually seeing him in live action, so you may very well be more knowledgeable of his actual capabilities than I am. At this early juncture, I'm being optimistic and hoping that what I've seen in the highlight videos is what we might expect him to offer. If what you're saying is actually the case, I'll be disappointed, no doubt.

In any case, thanks for your input. I'll keep what you've said in mind until I've seen enough of him to quell any unduly high hopes and expectations that I might have had. The hype he's had has been exciting but if it's false, it wouldn't be the first time such has been the case. We'll see.

Last edited:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I've been going by what little I've read, seen and heard, rather than actually seeing him in live action, so you may very well be more knowledgeable of his actual capabilities than I am. At this early juncture, I'm being optimistic and hoping that what I've seen in the highlight videos is what we might expect him to offer. If what you're saying is actually the case, I'll be disappointed, no doubt.

In any case, thanks for your input. I'll keep what you've said in mind until I've seen enough of him to quell any unduly high hopes and expectations that I might have had. The hype he's had has been exciting but if it's false, it wouldn't be the first time such has been the case. We'll see.

To be clear, I have high hopes for him as well. I’m just going off what I’ve seen, same as you.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Ya, i am not sure what you are watching. This guy impresses the hell out of me and I played both Wr and Rb many moons ago haha. This guy could be the steal of the draft IMO.

Well, for one, I didn’t base my thoughts on Highlight Reels.

I also didn’t say there wasn’t anything to be impressed about. Just sharing my own thoughts rather than repeating what others tell me. I could certainly be wrong.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To be clear, I have high hopes for him as well. I’m just going off what I’ve seen, same as you.

I understand completely. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. The highlight videos were encouraging and Stephen's Kamara comparisons did seem to be somewhat overly exaggerated, to be totally candid. I haven't abandoned my hopes for Pollard, just adjusting my lofty expectations is all. ;)

Ken

Reaction score
Well, for one, I didn’t base my thoughts on Highlight Reels.

I also didn’t say there wasn’t anything to be impressed about. Just sharing my own thoughts rather than repeating what others tell me. I could certainly be wrong.
Ok, and i am not basing my analysis on what anyone else has said but i i admit i only have watched his highlights.

I can tell a lot from highlights. It tells me if there is anything special about the player. I see special in this player and his versatility is off the charts.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
He needs to improve his hands but he's 25lbs heavier than Tavon Austin so there's more he can do in the blocking game.

Yes this and if Tavon can’t stay healthy he does is no good. The Pollard pick could spell the end of Tavon’s days in Dallas. Hopefully OC Moore will better utilize guys with skill sets such as Tavon and Pollard.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

If you’re expecting him to have the qualities of a lead back you’re not evaluating his purpose/role and abilities correctly.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If you’re expecting him to have the qualities of a lead back you’re not evaluating his purpose/role and abilities correctly.

Give me a little credit.

I think my comments were perfectly reasonable. I'm not labeling him a bust, claiming he sucks and was a terrible pick - I was speaking specifically to his pass catching.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I found 4 full game cut-ups of Pollard. He seemed a bit off early in the Houston game with some drops. Other than that, I saw 1 drop in the other 3 games.

Despite some drops early in the Houston game, his stats for that game:
Att ......: 11
Yds ....: 83
Avg ....: 7.5
TD …..: 1
Rec ….: 8
Yds ….: 116
Avg ….: 14.5

I'm curious about your "bad routes" comment. Can you give me a couple of examples? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but in that offense with the way they use him, I'm not sure how you determined he was running bad routes.

Where Pollard is really elite is in the transition from catch to run on those short routes in the flat or on the smoke routes where he catches at the line with no forward movement and then accelerates after the catch.

Many NFL RBs struggle with the process of having their head turned back to the QB while running in the flat and then transitioning to running after the catch. Just the slightest delay in that process can be the difference in multiple yards gained vs minimal.

Side Note:
His teammate RB Darrell Henderson was my favorite RB in this draft.

The draft media claimed that Henderson is too small to be a full time lead-back. Henderson is 5-8, 208. Barry Sanders was 5-8, 200 and Emmitt was 5-9, 208 (draft weight).

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I found 4 full game cut-ups of Pollard. He seemed a bit off early in the Houston game with some drops. Other than that, I saw 1 drop in the other 3 games.

Despite some drops early in the Houston game, his stats for that game:
Att ......: 11
Yds ....: 83
Avg ....: 7.5
TD …..: 1
Rec ….: 8
Yds ….: 116
Avg ….: 14.5

I'm curious about your "bad routes" comment. Can you give me a couple of examples? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but in that offense with the way they use him, I'm not sure how you determined he was running bad routes.

Where Pollard is really elite is in the transition from catch to run on those short routes in the flat or on the smoke routes where he catches at the line with no forward movement and then accelerates after the catch.

Many NFL RBs struggle with the process of having their head turned back to the QB while running in the flat and then transitioning to running after the catch. Just the slightest delay in that process can be the difference in multiple yards gained vs minimal.

Side Note:
His teammate RB Darrell Henderson was my favorite RB in this draft.

The draft media claimed that Henderson is too small to be a full time lead-back. Henderson is 5-8, 208. Barry Sanders was 5-8, 200 and Emmitt was 5-9, 208 (draft weight).

I agree on Henderson. While watching Pollard, Henderson definitely popped off the screen at me, not sure why he wasn't held in better regard - being 5-9 at RB doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

Also agree that Pollard is at his best taking short catches and then accelerating, which is kind of my point. If people are thinking of him as a "slot receiver", I don't believe that's where he made his bones at Memphis. As you said, he was catching mostly flats and screens and getting YAC.

I can't go find time stamps right now, but when I say "bad routes", I mean that when he was running actual routes, he tended to round routes off or barely run them at all - especially if he knew the ball wasn't coming to him, which is almost never did when he lined up as a receiver. He doesn't set up his moves, never ran double moves, couldn't/didn't accelerate off the line quickly enough to stack a DB, etc.

I don't fault him for any of that, there's a reason he wasn't just a receiver.

What I did like is that even though he's not the greatest blocker in the world, he was pretty fearless and it's probably why he was on the field so much in those 2 HB sets and why those short passes to him were productive because it wasn't like he only came in to catch the ball.