The true story of how the Cowboys' royal blue jerseys became cursed

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in History Zone, but here goes. Move it there if need be. Most Cowboy fans don't know the history behind the curse of the royal blue jerseys, so I thought I would explain it. Just to be clear: It's the old, discontinued royal blue jersey that's cursed, not the Navy blue one that the team uses today. Here's an image to show the difference. (story continued after image)

cursed-jerseys-final.jpg

Here's what happened:

The royal blue jerseys became cursed in 1966 when Tom Landry was at a bazaar in Algeria. He saw some really pretty scarves, and thought one might be nice to buy for his wife as a present when he got back home. Unbeknownst to Landry, the fortune teller lady working in that booth had spent all day mixing up a potion for casting bad luck spells. When Landry was looking over some of those nice scarves, he accidentally knocked over her potion and spilled it all over the counter. Being the gentleman that he was, Landry said, "I'm terribly sorry," and he wiped up the spilled potion with a royal blue handkerchief with a Dallas Cowboys logo on it.

When he turned to leave, the fortune teller lady said, "You forgot your handkerchief, sir."
Landry said, "That's okay, you keep it."
Then after he was gone, the lady was really angry over the spilled potion, and shook that royal blue handkerchief angrily in her fist, saying, "I curse thee."
Ever since that day, the Cowboys have been unable to win a playoff or championship game in the royal blue jerseys. It was wise to discontinue them in after the 1980 season. Those jerseys had caused the team to lose Super Bowl V and the 1980 NFC Championship (the last game ever played in them).

Never, never, never bring them back. The Navy blue ones are not cursed and look nicer anyway.

terra

Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in History Zone, but here goes. Move it there if need be. Most Cowboy fans don't know the history behind the curse of the royal blue jerseys, so I thought I would explain it. Just to be clear: It's the old, discontinued royal blue jersey that's cursed, not the Navy blue one that the team uses today. Here's an image to show the difference. (story continued after image)

cursed-jerseys-final.jpg

Here's what happened:

The royal blue jerseys became cursed in 1966 when Tom Landry was at a bazaar in Algeria. He saw some really pretty scarves, and thought one might be nice to buy for his wife as a present when he got back home. Unbeknownst to Landry, the fortune teller lady working in that booth had spent all day mixing up a potion for casting bad luck spells. When Landry was looking over some of those nice scarves, he accidentally knocked over her potion and spilled it all over the counter. Being the gentleman that he was, Landry said, "I'm terribly sorry," and he wiped up the spilled potion with a royal blue handkerchief with a Dallas Cowboys logo on it.

When he turned to leave, the fortune teller lady said, "You forgot your handkerchief, sir."
Landry said, "That's okay, you keep it."
Then after he was gone, the lady was really angry over the spilled potion, and shook that royal blue handkerchief angrily in her fist, saying, "I curse thee."
Ever since that day, the Cowboys have been unable to win a playoff or championship game in the royal blue jerseys. It was wise to discontinue them in after the 1980 season. Those jerseys had caused the team to lose Super Bowl V and the 1980 NFC Championship (the last game ever played in them).

Never, never, never bring them back. The Navy blue ones are not cursed and look nicer anyway.
Flat earthers will love this one

lukin2006

Reaction score
Ever since ‘95 we’ve been unable to win a championship with the whites or navy blue…maybe this team is cursed. The franchised is cursed, lift the curse by putting Jimmy in the ROH and giving him a luxury box to use for life for him and his family…

terra

Reaction score
Ever since ‘95 we’ve been unable to win a championship with the whites or navy blue…maybe this team is cursed. The franchised is cursed, lift the curse by putting Jimmy in the ROH and giving him a luxury box to use for life for him and his family…
I have said it again and again: Jerry sold his soul to the devil to win a SB without Jimmy; and the price is that only when he is dead will the Boys win another