The Video Game Thread

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lots of big rumors coming out that Microsoft and Nintendo are about to get into bed with each other. That's huge news for the gaming industry. I like it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...ust-starts-using-xbox-live-going-forward/amp/
I will have to wait to see on this. I prefer competition in consumer markets and it's already hard enough with Microsoft bringing Xbox and Windows closer together for gaming. I am not really sure that combining (or reducing depending on your viewpoint) the unique technologies of two major console gaming hardware product lines is necessarily a good thing for gamers in the long run.

Obviously, this is all pure speculation right now and the writer of that article made some extenuating assumptions beyond what the primary rumors are suggesting could happen, but it still is a little concerning that this could lead to ultimately being a Sony-vs-Nintendo/Microsoft market rather than a Sony-vs-Nintendo-vs-Microsoft market.

That said, I do think its better for gamers who play online games (which are becoming more and more common) to have the ability to play online with friends, family, etc. who buy the same games but did so or prefer to do so on different platforms. Of course that's been more of a Sony obstacle rather than Nintendo or Microsoft one from what I have read in recent months.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I will have to wait to see on this. I prefer competition in consumer markets and it's already hard enough with Microsoft bringing Xbox and Windows closer together for gaming. I am not really sure that combining (or reducing depending on your viewpoint) the unique technologies of two major console gaming hardware product lines is necessarily a good thing for gamers in the long run.

Obviously, this is all pure speculation right now and the writer of that article made some extenuating assumptions beyond what the primary rumors are suggesting could happen, but it still is a little concerning that this could lead to ultimately being a Sony-vs-Nintendo/Microsoft market rather than a Sony-vs-Nintendo-vs-Microsoft market.

That said, I do think its better for gamers who play online games (which are becoming more and more common) to have the ability to play online with friends, family, etc. who buy the same games but did so or prefer to do so on different platforms. Of course that's been more of a Sony obstacle rather than Nintendo or Microsoft one from what I have read in recent months.
My brother (not by blood, a friend for the past 33 years and more family than my family) and I... sometimes the only way we get to really reconnect is playing some co-op game together, which is both super-fun and maddening. Our banter should be recorded because we are off the charts when we get going.
So we'll play some FPS competitive games, which he loves, but he hates guns. Both in real life and in games.
So all his kills are by other things: throwing knives, grenades, melee, traps...
And he's truly amazing at it, he has single-handedly won matches against good comp, but we also lose so many games because of his refusal to use any guns.

I love that guy...

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

I think it's a smart move for both companies but understand why the lack of competition could be concerning. Microsoft has an online community for mostly 3rd party games outside of Halo/Forza and this could be a way to integrate them into the Switch market.

Sony always seems to step up when they produce exclusives (Uncharted, God of War, Last of US, Bloodborne, Spiderman) so like that the fire will be held to their feet. I think Sony is holding out on global mult. bc it feels like they would be throwing Microsoft a bone (PR wise more so) after taking it on the chin this gen, no real incentive yet.

For Nintendo, it offers them a chance to advertise the switch/future console as a more console-TV structure that adult gamers seem to prefer and market their games as equally viable competitors to Sony in regards to IPs/gaming library. Fills the need for lack of original IPs from Microsoft and gives Nintendo a chance to be considered as a legitimate "adult" console to compete with Sony down the line in the home entertainment console market that Xbox used to be. Nintendo could potentially dominate both TV consoles and handhelds.

Last edited:

Lutonio

Reaction score
Stay away from Anthem. I'm a big fan of loot grind games having sank an embarrassing number of hours into the likes of Diablo and Phantasy Star. If even I'm bored playing, then you know something is wrong.

I was optimistic after the demo, but the full game is pretty bad.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Solid post above @BigStar
The only game I play is cod black ops 4.. don't have time for other games right now.

I'm a COD fan, and while I do like the bones of BO4, Activision is slowly destroying that franchise with their greed .

Stay away from Anthem. I'm a big fan of loot grind games having sank an embarrassing number of hours into the likes of Diablo and Phantasy Star. If even I'm bored playing, then you know something is wrong.

I've heard similar reviews on the game. I barely got to play the demo before it expired. This is where it's nice having Gamefly. Check out a game and send it back. Or even Redbox is good for a quick grab to try a game. I can say the one thing about Anthem is it looked gorgeous on the demo.

On another note, I've been playing Tomb Raider - Shadow of the Tomb. Solid game. Feels A LOT like Uncharted.

Juggernaut

Reaction score

I couldn't agree more. It reminds me of the poor debut of Destiny. BioWare should have delayed the release to polish it. Despite the imperfections, I am a Marvel fan and I still enjoy the Iron Man gameplay.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty darn close depending on where you land. :laugh:
*laughs*

I see that acronym technically has two meanings ..

I was referring to FPGS like FPS .. as in "get shot in first person mode" as opposed to "first person shooter" ... not the alternative "the first person who gets shot" meaning :)

Although, both may be relevant now that I think about it .. :D

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I've been playing the hell out of Apex Legends. It really sucked me in. It's too bad I suck at it. :laugh:

I don't know, I cant imagine anyone being worse @ games like that than me. If not for socializing with friends in Pubg and Apex I probably wouldn't play at all. I stink big time.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
*laughs*

I see that acronym technically has two meanings ..

I was referring to FPGS like FPS .. as in "get shot in first person mode" as opposed to "first person shooter" ... not the alternative "the first person who gets shot" meaning :)

Although, both may be relevant now that I think about it .. :D

Haha!! I'm picking up what you were putting down now!

I don't know, I cant imagine anyone being worse @ games like that than me. If not for socializing with friends in Pubg and Apex I probably wouldn't play at all. I stink big time.

Yeah, it's weird, I love FPS games and can hang on some online shooters like Call of Duty, but man, I just cannot seem to find a groove on these battle royale games. They somehow continue to keep sucking me back in though, especially Apex.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I just picked up a ps4. I've been playing The Last of Us and a bit of Apex and Fortnite with the homies. The Last of Us is great so far.

I'm not sure how active it is still, but the multiplayer in the Last of Us is my all time favorite.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Anybody else grabbing Sekiro Shadows Die Twice? Looks like some GOTY material. Definitely grabbing it myself! Bloodborne is one of the greatest games of all time. FROM SOFTWARE are brutal developers but that is part of the challenge!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I had a love hate relationship with Warcraft 3. I loved the game, but wasn't ever that good at it.

Who is interested in Warcraft III: Reforged?

I'm likely to love hate it again hah.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Anybody else grabbing Sekiro Shadows Die Twice? Looks like some GOTY material. Definitely grabbing it myself! Bloodborne is one of the greatest games of all time. FROM SOFTWARE are brutal developers but that is part of the challenge!

Looks interesting. Looks gorgeous too. Graphics just continue to floor me with each passing year.