The worst coaching decision yesterday

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Marinelli refusing to stop running so many dline stunts ranks up there as well.

The Vikings run game was exposing it over and over. The 2nd and goal from the 5, where Jaylon made barely saved a TD was the worse of it though. Both DTs bail out leaving literally no one but Jaylon in the middle of the field.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kicking a 57 yard FG on the opening drive instead of pinning them deep or even going for it

Kicking that FG was the worst available option & set us back from the jump. I still can’t believe an NFL coach would opt to kick a 57 yard FG on the opening drive .... even if you make it 3 points is negligible at that point in the game, but the field position is invaluable

That poor decision by Garrett set us back from the jump & one of the worst coaching decisions I’ve seen in my life

That is probably the least impactful poor decision. We have much better to choose from.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kicking a 57 yard FG on the opening drive instead of pinning them deep or even going for it

Kicking that FG was the worst available option & set us back from the jump. I still can’t believe an NFL coach would opt to kick a 57 yard FG on the opening drive .... even if you make it 3 points is negligible at that point in the game, but the field position is invaluable

That poor decision by Garrett set us back from the jump & one of the worst coaching decisions I’ve seen in my life
Oh by far, that changed field position and allowed them to score. But if we would have punted and pinned them back at the 10 and held them we would have likely been back in or near the same spot with a new set of downs. He should be fired for that decision alone.
th

HungryLion

Reaction score
Na chief

It was stupid as hell but the team had 55 minutes to make up for it.

The fair catch fiasco was 1000x worse. You have him fair catch just to set up a pathetic Hail Mary? :facepalm:

Even more stupid when you consider that the only reason Tavon is even on the roster is because he can be a big play threat, on special teams.

then when you need a big play on special teams most. They neuter him.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Maher hit 10 of his 13 kicks over 50 yards going into that game and it was early so I don't have an issue with going for the long FG.

links18

Reaction score

And then he punts on a subsequent possession on 4th and 4 from the 40. Talk about mindbending.....

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
I’m not sure it mattered on that first drive, whether it was 55 yards or 99 I think Minnesota was gonna score a TD because we were so unprepared for anything they were doing offensively
That's exactly why you go for it, to keep the ball out of their hands. On that drive and the following drive. Awful decisions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Remember when Andy Reid let Desean Jackson return a punt for the win against the Giants on the last play of the game. Rather than settle for a pointless Hail Mary?

Jason Garret doesn’t remember.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Questionable but not egregious given the perfect conditions and the fact that he's shown the ability to nail this kick with ease. I probably would have pinned them but I can also see getting off to a quick 3-0 lead.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Tavon Austin runs like a 4.3 forty. He could have return the ball to the 15-20 yard line and there still would have been time on the clock to throw the ball into the end zone.

Creeper

Reaction score
I can see both sides of this argument. Give him the green light to run if he has lots of room and he did. But if he runs, he takes another 4 or 5 seconds off the clock leaving Dallas with maybe 12 or 13 seconds and no TOs. I would not have had an issue with the fair catch if the next two plays were deeper down the field. All night Cooper was hanging ten on the sidelines to make acrobatic catches so why not try something like that twice for 15 yards each time. Then the last play could have been within range of an actually TD attempt instead of a Hail Mary.

On the other hand, Austin had lots of room He may have been able to get another 10 or 15 yards, maybe even more. Then Dallas would have had time for 2 plays with maybe 40 yards for the TD. Let's face it, at that point the Cowboys were dead. The odds of getting the TD with 12-17 seconds on the clock were slim to none. Its hard to quibble with the fair catch and Hail Mary when they were just on the 10 yard line with a first down to tie the game. They lost any chance to tie the score and win the game with the last 4 plays they ran.

Then run on second down was not unreasonable. The run on 3rd was stupid. But the pass to Zeke on 4th down was just abominable. Especially since I am pretty sure Cooper was open over the middle on 4th down inside the 5 yard line. I don't think he could have scored but he had the 1st down if Dak can throw it too him. At least they could have had a fresh set of downs. What bothers me is the Cowboys did not throw into the end zone at all on that last series and that seems to be a pattern they have shown all year.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
As dumb as it was, the only saving grace for the fair catch is the 80% probability that there'd be a block in the back. Our ST coaching is terrible.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score

4th-and-6 at the Viking 39. Attempt ridiculously long FG.
4th-and-6 at the Viking 48. Punt.
4th-and-4 at the Viking 40. Punt.

The game was lost in the first three drives, with those three decisions. As so many games have been lost before. It's not the end-of-game Garrett stuff that has hurt this team: it's these early-game decisions, "defensible" on their face and usually forgotten when all is said and done, that have killed this team over and over through the years.

sbark

Reaction score
Fair catch trumps that one
Someone threw out that tavon signaled fair catch very very early, and vikes spec teams had already let up, making return lanes just look very nice.....wouldn't have been the return everyone sees now

Don't know , haven't seen tape from that angle

phildadon86

Reaction score
Someone threw out that tavon signaled fair catch very very early, and vikes spec teams had already let up, making return lanes just look very nice.....wouldn't have been the return everyone sees now

Don't know , haven't seen tape from that angle
It’s gutless not to go for any return in general