The worst part is there is no hope going forward

TWOK11

Reaction score
The fact is we should have passed on Dak for 40 million.

And passed on Elliott for 90 million And we wouldn’t have needed Cooper for a 100 million.

Our dysfunctional ownership over pays and over hyped their talent because it sells hope , jerseys and puts butts in the stands and viewers on TV.

Then scrambled in damage control fashion looking for scapegoats when it falls flat on its face. Our lack of discipline and country club culture all stems from the top and the one constant throughout this era regardless the talent or coaching,

Ok, we don’t pay Prescott and he walks. We win 4-5 games this year, then what?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Since 2000, 14 QBs that were objectively worse than Dak Prescott have made it to the Super Bowl. That’s not including Eli Manning and Matt Ryan, who only on their absolute best days from their best seasons would be regarded as better.

It’s complete nonsense that you can’t win the NFC and make the SB with Dak Prescott. Rex Grossman, Jake Delhomme, Nick Foles and Kerry Collins all did that for gods sake.

Im not saying you can’t win a Super Bowl with him.

Unfortunately he is paid to be the reason we win and you’re leaving that little tidbit out of your list.

But hey… You’re a Dak homer so sell yourself on it however you must. The majority of Cowboys fans are done with delusional fans such as yourself and have finally opened their eyes to what I’ve been saying for years.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Oh I fully understand the OL needs to be improved.

I just don’t think it matters. I’ve seen Dak behind the best OL in football before. Didn’t matter.

The point is we need to improve the OL regardless of who is under center. Like it or not, we’re stuck with Dak for a few years so we need to bring our OL back to form to give him (and our lackluster run game) some kind of chance of success. At the very least, our next QB will have some protection already set.

Carter

Reaction score
a full rebuild will take forever with this team because we are also in a very bad cap situation for the next years with the Dak and Zeke contracts for example.

You would need a new coaching staff, a new QB, revamp the O-Line, refuel the D-Line, get another starting LB and a new RB.

Aslong as Jerry the Owner/GM/President/Mascot/Headcoach/Press Speaker and his damn family are running the show you cant expect anything.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Ok, we don’t pay Prescott and he walks. We win 4-5 games this year, then what?
We should have Transition tagged Dak (not let walk) and take the best offer, doesn't have to be two 1st's. Wilson, Rodgers and Carr are just some FAs out there or draft a rookie with our improved pick + whatever we got for Dak.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just have no idea where this team goes from here and the thought of starting this whole process over just makes me sick to my stomach.

They can’t just say this is good enough and if we clean up mistakes all will be well.

Lining up and doing the same thing over and over is just not the way and I think they have to fire McCarthy.

He’s been here 2 seasons and he was awful in year 1 and year 2 he beat a bunch of bad teams and nobody had an answer for the 2 high safeties. Also the lack of Pollard and playing Zeke was just criminal.

Dallas needs a culture change and they need a new face for this franchise right now but I know management believes in continuity and they get continuous results.

I just don’t know what they can do outside of a coaching change to give any hope to the fans.
Wah, Wah, Wah.......it's a frikkin game!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
a full rebuild will take forever with this team because we are also in a very bad cap situation for the next years with the Dak and Zeke contracts for example.
Not sure if I necessarily believe this. You can change the entire team in 2 years pretty easily if you really wanted to. The last time we did a major purge was after 2015 and we were instantly much much better.

Swagger

Reaction score
There's hope.

We blow it up right now, start a rebuild, and by the time Daks contract is up hopefully have a solid foundation in place for a real QB to take over and get to rolling.

There is no "win now" mode with Dak as the QB. That should not be the strategy. It doesn't matter how much talent you surround him with it'll be wasted.
I agree. This is the way forward. We cannot win with Dak so we need to just use him like a pawn, as he has done to the Cowboys and use the next 2 seasons to stock pile draft picks and load up the team for the 2024/25 season onwards after dumping him

TWOK11

Reaction score
Im not saying you can’t win a Super Bowl with him.

Unfortunately he is paid to be the reason we win and you’re leaving that little tidbit out of your list.

But hey… You’re a Dak homer so sell yourself on it however you must. The majority of Cowboys fans are done with delusional fans such as yourself and have finally opened their eyes to what I’ve been saying for years.

Prescott is a good QB in a league without many good QBs. There are 20+ teams who would take him in a heartbeat. He’s never going to be Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes but very few are.

And he’s paid what he’s paid because that was the going rate for good QBs when he signed. Guys worse than him will sign bigger deals in the coming years.

Again, the question nobody will answer: When you get rid of Dak and after 2-3 years of being in the basement, just hoping to get a high enough pick to draft a guy who MIGHT make you a contender 5+ years after you originally got rid of Prescott, will you be quietly sitting and patiently waiting? No complaining anymore?

Getting rid of Prescott sets you back 5 years minimum in terms of competing for the playoffs and a title. You can either try and use that time to build a team around him, or forfeit those years while waiting to acquire and then groom a guy who is better knowing that the odds of you finding the right guy are low.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers has 1 super bowl. Dak is not a top QB but he is right in the mix with the 2nd tier QBs. So if Foles, Flacco, and Eli Manning can win super bowls so can Dak. We just need more pieces, and that's where I get frustrated with Jerry because we are always spending money on shiny things instead of filling the gaps on the roster.

Yes, 40M makes it harder to fill those gaps but that number isn't going to seem that large for long. Brady is the only player I'm aware of that took significantly below market to make sure he had pieces everywhere. But in any case, if you don't sign Dak who is better? If it's about hope, does anyone really believe the Jones can pick a QB. It seems like we have had great pickups in the draft, and all of our first round hits have been plan B's. We got Martin and Fredbeard because the player we wanted got grabbed. Parsons was a plan B. Jerry wanted to trade up for Paxton Lynch who couldn't even make it as a backup.

So I'm grateful for Dak. He isn't elite, but just like Eli, given time he can burn people. But like Eli he is going to need more pieces than the elite QBs.
There is at least one big different between Foles/Flacco/Manning and Dak and that each of the former is capable of playing their best when the entire season is on the line. Dak does not have the ability to play under max pressure. Most QB's don't. Your best bet of winning an SB is to get a truly elite QB, but you don't HAVE to have one. You can win one with a gutty QB who can play under pressure as long as you are really strong in other areas.

Swagger

Reaction score
Prescott is a good QB in a league without many good QBs. There are 20+ teams who would take him in a heartbeat. He’s never going to be Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes but very few are.

And he’s paid what he’s paid because that was the going rate for good QBs when he signed. Guys worse than him will sign bigger deals in the coming years.

Again, the question nobody will answer: When you get rid of Dak and after 2-3 years of being in the basement, just hoping to get a high enough pick to draft a guy who MIGHT make you a contender 5+ years after you originally got rid of Prescott, will you be quietly sitting and patiently waiting? No complaining anymore?

Getting rid of Prescott sets you back 5 years minimum in terms of competing for the playoffs and a title. You can either try and use that time to build a team around him, or forfeit those years while waiting to acquire and then groom a guy who is better knowing that the odds of you finding the right guy are low.
Name those 20+ teams that would take him in a heart beat on his current contract!?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I don’t care about having or not having Dak.

Maybe if we sucked bad enough we could have a shot at a guy like Justin Herbert.

Id rather be terrible than mediocre and with Dak we’ve locked up mediocrity.

TWOK11

Reaction score
We should have Transition tagged Dak (not let walk) and take the best offer, doesn't have to be two 1st's. Wilson, Rodgers and Carr are just some FAs out there or draft a rookie with our improved pick + whatever we got for Dak.

Dak is better than Car, Rodgers is almost 40 and Wilson just had the worst year of his career.

Tommy

Reaction score
Spot on. You nailed it. A coaching change is the only possible way to turn this around. You said you don’t know how to fix it, but you provided the only solution.
Is CowboysZone broken this morning? This post seems like it must be 2 years old.

Two years ago CowboysZone was blaming Jason Garrett for all of our loses because he was holding back all our talent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak is better than Car, Rodgers is almost 40 and Wilson just had the worst year of his career.

Dak isn’t better than Carr.

Listen.. I’m not dealing with Dak delusionals today. Blabber about his greatness all you want. I’m done with that crap.

Im right. You’re wrong. Move along or go find Ranching and tell yourselves how good our QB is in a private message.

You’re clueless as to what Dak is. I’m not and I’ve proven that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
trade him let him be a backup and bring someone else etc...
again, the contract prohibits us from trading. the cap hit is 80M.

this is not about taking revenge on Dak because you are mad at him. this is about figuring out what's best for the cowboys and give them a chance......

you sound your anger is too personal towards Dak.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I still want to see Dak in a non JG offense. These long developing plays and timing based does not work for him. He’s not Romo.
We don't run a timing based offense. That's a relic of the 90's. Nobody runs a timing based offense anymore. Not like the cowboys did in the 90s anyway.

TWOK11

Reaction score
I don’t care about having or not having Dak.

Maybe if we sucked bad enough we could have a shot at a guy like Justin Herbert.

Id rather be terrible than mediocre and with Dak we’ve locked up mediocrity.

The NFL is essentially about remaining competitive until you can bring it all together and have things fall your way one year. Sucking for the sake of maybe being good years from now is a horrible idea.

Unless you can sit here and tell me we won’t hear a peep from you while winning 20 total games between now and 2025, I really don’t want to hear it. Youre just angry and lashing out, and will be doing the same when Dak is no longer here to be angry at. You’ll have the audacity to complain about going 5-12 in 2024 with some jouneyman QB.

Swagger

Reaction score
Dak isn’t better than Carr.

Listen.. I’m not dealing with Dak delusional today. Blabber about his greatness all you want. I’m done with that crap.

Im right. You’re wrong. Move along or go find Ranching and tell yourselves how good our QB is in a private message.

You’re clueless as to what Dak is. I’m not and I’ve proven that.
Several on here, including yourself, have consistently highlighted that Dak, Cousins, Carr and Jimmy G are all in the same mid tier/bracket of QB in the league and that's just the way it is.

morat1959

Reaction score
There's hope.

We blow it up right now, start a rebuild, and by the time Daks contract is up hopefully have a solid foundation in place for a real QB to take over and get to rolling.

There is no "win now" mode with Dak as the QB. That should not be the strategy. It doesn't matter how much talent you surround him with it'll be wasted.
Outside of JJ hiring a real GM, this is the only option. A real GM would do exactly what you suggest.? Dak is what he is.