The worst thing about the release of Taco

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
They let everyone know a lot, don't they?

There is definitely a price to pay for being the most powerful brand in professional sports. They get that distinction with relentless marketing - which also tends to reveal quite a bit of info that could be useful kept closer to the vest.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the reports about Taco are true then it is his own doing he got cut. Dallas did not make the right pick with Taco but at least they acknowledged it and moved on.
So much truth right here.
There was a problem between Taco and his coach and between Taco and some players.

Re-read that previous sentence and see if you can find the common denominator.
And more right here!!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It appears that the only reason for his release is because grown men can't get along and there was some drama between Marinelli and him. Probably between him and some players as well.

The thing is Taco seemed to have progressed based on his preseason performance and could contribute this season.

That's what makes this situation look so bad.
It only looks bad for Taco. Team chemistry can easily be destroyed by just 1 diva, i.e. TO, Dez, AB, OBJ, etc.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems to me the worst thing about this is that we are still wasting our time talking about it. Something didn't work out the way you hoped, pull up you big boy panties and move on.

It's funny how you want to talk about "big boy panties" but apparently lack enough of what goes in them to see people talk about the subject. Quite the contradiction.

Feel free to cover your eyes and ears on a subject that's clearly too tough for you to handle. Just don't expect anyone else to have to do the same.

There's the door....

:thumbup:

Beaker42

Reaction score
No, the worst think is they could have just drafted TJ Watt who everyone in the world with half a brain knew was and would be a better football player than Taco. With less overthinking and a little common sense and flexibility, we could be sitting here today with the same exact defense we have with TJ Watt and Thornhill added to it. Makes me sick to think about it and it’s not like those guys have come out of nowhere and no one knew they would be good. Both were consensus no brainer picks that Dallas simply passed on.
That’s why Marinelli needs to disappear from the scene.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It appears that the only reason for his release is because grown men can't get along and there was some drama between Marinelli and him. Probably between him and some players as well.

The thing is Taco seemed to have progressed based on his preseason performance and could contribute this season.

Happens a lot in sports. How do you think the Cowboys got Haley? Why did the Stealers trade Brown to the Raiders. Why did the Raiders cut AB? Why did the Stealers release Bell? Why did Ramsey fight with his coach and is now on the trading block? Why did the Dolphins dump Stills? Why did the Giants trade OBJ? These are just off the top of my head. I am sure there are lots more.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

My issue, is now...I kinda want tacos. Going to wait until tomorrow and go to a happy hour, but yea, that's where I'm at

TonyS

Reaction score
It doesn't appear that way to me at all. The team has put up with personality issues before … as long as the player's talents made it worth it. Taco was in his 3rd year and hadn't proven worthy of the draft pick, or even worthy of playing in a rotation. The personality problem likely just exacerbated that.

This is a great point and maybe points to the leadership on this team not being real strong, at least on defense. I don't know what goes on with the team, but I wonder how many players tried to reach Taco.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a great point and maybe points to the leadership on this team not being real strong, at least on defense. I don't know what goes on with the team, but I wonder how many players tried to reach Taco.
The leadership doesn’t seem to be a problem with other DLinemen. I think it’s more of a Taco attitude issue, combined with not enough talent for the team to be willing to deal with it.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Entitled high school players become entitled college players and entitled NFL players become ?

A lot of these guys have been coddled and handled with care because they can play football and the skids greased for them to the point they think they're privileged characters and now college HC's have gone so far to make guarantees to recruits which is why we're seeing this transfer issue, which is only going to escalate.

Actually, I am surprised we don't see a lot more of this with more players but it is still a small % of the NFL population. Guy gets it in his head he's special and that's not easy to get out of his head. Add to this that most of these blue chippers are slow to mature because they don't have to make the same sacrifices other college students have to make like working a real job while trying to get their diploma.

There are probably a whole lot of man-child players that we never even hear about because the team successfully keeps it behind closed doors. But your evaluation is spot-on.

Kaiser

Reaction score
You mean to tell me a team that loves position flex was suddenly inflexible?

Its not about position flex, DLaw only plays LDE with a few looks at RDE. But in this defense the DE's have to set the corner and play run defense. DE is an elite pass rusher but he also plays run defense very well, the Dallas front office clearly didn't think Watt could do that (even Demarcus Ware had trouble with the initial switch from 3-4 LB to 4-3 DE).

Dallas rated Watt a better player but they didn't see him playing anywhere but the position DLaw was already in.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Its not about position flex, DLaw only plays LDE with a few looks at RDE. But in this defense the DE's have to set the corner and play run defense. DE is an elite pass rusher but he also plays run defense very well, the Dallas front office clearly didn't think Watt could do that (even Demarcus Ware had trouble with the initial switch from 3-4 LB to 4-3 DE).

Dallas rated Watt a better player but they didn't see him playing anywhere but the position DLaw was already in.
One inch shorter and 10 pounds heavier than RG according to the wiki. What position does Gregory play?

Kaiser

Reaction score
The leadership doesn’t seem to be a problem with other DLinemen. I think it’s more of a Taco attitude issue, combined with not enough talent for the team to be willing to deal with it.

Also our roster has talent at every spot on the OL and DL. There is no more free ride. I used the example of Ereck Flowers yesterday, that was a bigger mistake but the Giants played him for four years because A) he was a top ten pick, and B) his contract was guaranteed, and C) they didn't have anyone else.

Kaiser

Reaction score
One inch shorter and 10 pounds heavier than RG according to the wiki. What position does Gregory play?

A 420-unfriendly Randy Gregory is a Top Five draft choice, he has more natural strength than players his size and he has freakish athletic ability.

We also haven't seen Gregory hold up in run defense for two years, he has always been a situational player.

Wrong comparison.