The worst thing about the release of Taco

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
After his preseason I really wanted to see him play in regular season. He seemed to be putting in the effort. He knew he was auditioning for other teams, we needed to take advantage of that. Lol.

And I haven’t even noticed Jackson on the field yet.

Evidently, Jackson was good enough to replace Taco but not quite good enough to yet be trusted as a starter. I think the staff also didn't want to bring out their dirty laundry by criticizing him for not responding to the coaching adequately. Obviously, Taco got by very generously with their gentile statements. They subsequently tried to trade him to Houston, although, they couldn't come to terms on a deal.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, many, but few listed at 236 lbs coming out of college come in to play DE in a 4-3. He is a prototypical 3-4 OLB, and sure Randy Gregory didn't weight that much more but of course we already had him on the roster. So drafting Watt means you are giving up on Gregory, unless you think we need a couple of these guys around and it doesn't address our need for run stoppers. At 270 lbs Taco did.

There's a whole lot of errors in this post.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Pretty ironic isn't it?

And yet 'In Rod We Trust'? Perhaps mistakenly? Yet again.

The crazy part about this whole thing is that Kris Richard is the also the DL coach, as well as the coach of the secondary. He, therefore, accepted the blame for the shoddy performance of our DL after the Rams playoff game last year. Since Marinelli is the DC in charge of the defensive scheme and the type of players that perform on the DL, it's seemingly a shared responsibility for their performance. If that isn't a flawed setup, I'd like to know what is. I'm hoping Kris Richard takes over as the DC sometime soon (next year?) to restructure our current setup on defense. It's far from being ideal, imho.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
Pissing away a #1 draft pick. The day we took him I knew this day would come. He was a bum from the zero hour.

kskboys

Reaction score
I tried hard to believe in Taco, but even though he was rated a 1st round talent, his scouting report read like a 3rd/4th round talent. IMO, he's one of those guys that for some reason the scouts jumped on the bandwagon and overrated him. Same think happened w/ MO, who simply didn't have the traits of the best CB in the draft, and yet the scouts agreed he was. Neither assessment made any sense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I see people say this I immediately know that they do not understand modern football.

I will post this one last time so people can understand once and for all that a 3-4 ROLB and a 4-3 RDE are the same player. So much so that most teams now refer to it as "Edge" for either scheme when looking at players in the draft or free agency.

DeMarcus Ware
2004 season - RDE at Troy University
2005 through 2012 - ROLB for the Dallas Cowboys (Bill Parcells, Rob Ryan, Wade Phillips all run a 3-4 scheme)
2013 season - RDE for the Dallas Cowboys (Monte Kiffin runs a 4-3 scheme)
2014 season - RDE for the Denver Broncos (Jack Del Rio runs a 4-3 scheme)
2015 through 2016 - ROLB for the Denver Broncos (Wade Phillips runs a 3-4 scheme)

There are numerous other examples.

A few problems with your post:..

Watt was not a traditional 3-4 OLB in college. He often played more like an off-ball LB (like 4-3 LBs or 3-4 ILBs) that blitzed on the inside.

They often played a 3-2 look with DEs aligned like a 4-3 but with 1 DT then 2 off-ball LBs up in the gaps. Watt was a LB in those alignments.

They had multiple looks on that defense.

Watt had more sacks not going against OTs than he had against OTs. He had several coming from the backside with QBs rolling away and nobody really blocking him or a RB trying to block him.

With regards to Ware, Parcells said Ware would wear down if he played his career as a 4-3 DE.

The 2014 Broncos defense was not a typical 4-3 with Von Miller moving between off-ball LB and on-ball (on the line) pass rusher. In other words it had 3-4 concepts mixed in.

Ware had a career low in sacks as a DE in 2013 (for seasons he played over 10 games).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It appears that the only reason for his release is because grown men can't get along and there was some drama between Marinelli and him. Probably between him and some players as well.

The thing is Taco seemed to have progressed based on his preseason performance and could contribute this season.

That's what makes this situation look so bad.
I am not so sure about his progress. kind of reminded me a little of Rico. Rico chined against lesser compeitions, 2nd, 3rd stringers but couldn't do squat against starters. We show cased Taco in preseason, but he did well against backups, players who eventually got cut, etc. against starters he didn't do much....we were obviously trying to trade him and if he had any value, you figure some team would give up a 6th or 7th for him. I doubt if the cowboys figured they could get a high draft pick and then cut him because they couldn't.....seems like nobody wanted to trade for him.

with that said, its all about practice and what you practice, how you practice you take to game day. if he wasn't a hustler or he insisted on doing things his way and not listen to coaches, then yes, I have an issue with that. wait and set the world on fire before trying to do things your way......given he hasn't been signed yet...also shows there isn't really high opinion of him...if he was that good, he would have been signed immediately.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not so sure about his progress. kind of reminded me a little of Rico. Rico chined against lesser compeitions, 2nd, 3rd stringers but couldn't do squat against starters. We show cased Taco in preseason, but he did well against backups, players who eventually got cut, etc. against starters he didn't do much....we were obviously trying to trade him and if he had any value, you figure some team would give up a 6th or 7th for him. I doubt if the cowboys figured they could get a high draft pick and then cut him because they couldn't.....seems like nobody wanted to trade for him.

with that said, its all about practice and what you practice, how you practice you take to game day. if he wasn't a hustler or he insisted on doing things his way and not listen to coaches, then yes, I have an issue with that. wait and set the world on fire before trying to do things your way......given he hasn't been signed yet...also shows there isn't really high opinion of him...if he was that good, he would have been signed immediately.

They definitely tried like hell to trade him, from the offseason until the minute they cut him. I can't fault the team for lack of effort in that.

But it speaks to what a colossal bust the guy truly is that two years in they could get NOTHING for a 1st round draft choice.

That's not just the 'miss' that some like to call it. That's record-setting failure right there.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They definitely tried like hell to trade him, from the offseason until the minute they cut him. I can't fault the team for lack of effort in that.

But it speaks to what a colossal bust the guy truly is that two years in they could get NOTHING for a 1st round draft choice.

That's not just the 'miss' that some like to call it. That's record-setting failure right there.
Thinking it’s more of his attitude that made him a bust more than talent. His limited time in preseason he looked much improved. Obviously it was against possibly lesser talent but looked better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thinking it’s more of his attitude that made him a bust more than talent. His limited time in preseason he looked much improved. Obviously it was against possibly lesser talent but looked better.

My understanding is that the ship had sailed at that point. He had already wanted out and requested to be traded. He asked for that during meetings with Marinelli in the offseason. At that point, the team decided to try and showcase him during the preseason in hopes of a trade. When that never happened, they held out for the few weeks that they could hoping someone, anyone, would bite. When they still couldn't find any takers, they cut him.

But regardless of how well he played or looked in the preseason, this team decided they were done with him, and he with them.

Colossal bust all around and EVERYONE is at fault, not just the player.

Smashin222

Reaction score
The comparisons to Watt concede to much and create too much debate about how he fits.

The better alternative is what you could have gotten for the pick via trade.

If you don't like the players available, trade the pick. Get a first rounder the following year plus a late second this year. Trade down to the top of the 2nd and pick up a 4th rounder.

That's the actual mistake made here. It's not "oh they should have picked Watt." It's "oh they should have gotten value for the pick instead of wasting it"

glimmerman

Reaction score
My understanding is that the ship had sailed at that point. He had already wanted out and requested to be traded. He asked for that during meetings with Marinelli in the offseason. At that point, the team decided to try and showcase him during the preseason in hopes of a trade. When that never happened, they held out for the few weeks that they could hoping someone, anyone, would bite. When they still couldn't find any takers, they cut him.

But regardless of how well he played or looked in the preseason, this team decided they were done with him, and he with them.

Colossal bust all around and EVERYONE is at fault, not just the player.
A shame. We couldn’t even get a 7th rounder. But I guess when teams know this kind of thing is happening then they will just sit and wait till they release him. Of course he goes to the team we play next. Wonder if he will play.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A shame. We couldn’t even get a 7th rounder. But I guess when teams know this kind of thing is happening then they will just sit and wait till they release him. Of course he goes to the team we play next. Wonder if he will play.

I doubt it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The comparisons to Watt concede to much and create too much debate about how he fits.

The better alternative is what you could have gotten for the pick via trade.

If you don't like the players available, trade the pick. Get a first rounder the following year plus a late second this year. Trade down to the top of the 2nd and pick up a 4th rounder.

That's the actual mistake made here. It's not "oh they should have picked Watt." It's "oh they should have gotten value for the pick instead of wasting it"

I'm sure the Cowboys didn't think they were wasting the pick at the time or else they would have traded. Trading down is something they have done before. The problem with Taco was just a faulty evaluation.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It appears that the only reason for his release is because grown men can't get along and there was some drama between Marinelli and him. Probably between him and some players as well.

The thing is Taco seemed to have progressed based on his preseason performance and could contribute this season.

That's what makes this situation look so bad.
But no other team would even give us a 5th for him