CFZ The X Factor is Michael Gallup

Pass2Run

Reaction score
After Dallas signed Jason Peters last week, the Cowboys suddenly became a player again — a player to make the playoffs, at least.

The thing is, there aren't many fans saying we don't have a shot at the playoffs. Even the most bitter and pessimistic fans know deep down that this team has a good chance of making the playoffs.

But winning is the name of the game, and the Cowboys haven't done that since . . . well, you know the answer to that.

For those doubting this team, I don't think they understand how far medicine has advanced in the area of ACL surgeries because they never include Gallup in the conversation. And we all know that if the Dallas Cowboys could do something to speed up Michael Gallup's recovery time, they would.

I'm not going to say that Gallup will play or he won't play. But I think there's a good possibility that he may actually be ready to play right now, due to advancements in the are of ACL tears and stem cell research, which has shown to reduce recovery time, drastically.

He's already been out there doing reps, and if he was going to play, they would be foolish to announce it right now. Because you gameplan a certain way for certain guys. Defending Michael Gallup is a lot different than defending Jalen Tolbert, for now at least, although I do have high expectations for Tolbert, and Fehoko.

But down the stretch, if Gallup comes back the same player he was before the injury, or stronger, he's just sort of the x-factor on offense.

I'm sort of getting the feeling that he'll be out there for game 2, if not game 1.

Just a hunch on my part.

I've been wrong before. And I would never fault them for keeping him healthy, but you know Jerry, the gambling man. He's got some new toys to play with on offense.

Whatever the true status of Gallup's health is, let's not break our toys, so can't play with them come that Christmas time of year when it really counts.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
After Dallas signed Jason Peters last week, the Cowboys suddenly became a player again — a player to make the playoffs, at least.

The thing is, there aren't many fans saying we don't have a shot at the playoffs. Even the most bitter and pessimistic fans know deep down that this team has a good chance of making the playoffs.

But winning is the name of the game, and the Cowboys haven't done that since . . . well, you know the answer to that.

For those doubting this team, I don't think they understand how far medicine has advanced in the area of ACL surgeries because they never include Gallup in the conversation. And we all know that if the Dallas Cowboys could do something to speed up Michael Gallup's recovery time, they would.

I'm not going to say that Gallup will play or he won't play. But I think there's a good possibility that he may actually be ready to play right now, due to advancements in the are of ACL tears and stem cell research, which has shown to reduce recovery time, drastically.

He's already been out there doing reps, and if he was going to play, they would be foolish to announce it right now. Because you gameplan a certain way for certain guys. Defending Michael Gallup is a lot different than defending Jalen Tolbert, for now at least, although I do have high expectations for Tolbert, and Fehoko.

But down the stretch, if Gallup comes back the same player he was before the injury, or stronger, he's just sort of the x-factor on offense.

I'm sort of getting the feeling that he'll be out there for game 2, if not game 1.

Just a hunch on my part.

I've been wrong before. And I would never fault them for keeping him healthy, but you know Jerry, the gambling man. He's got some new toys to play with on offense.

Whatever the true status of Gallup's health is, let's not break our toys, so can't play with them come that Christmas time of year when it really counts.
I remember the days if a player could walk..
He was expected to play....Hell....even the player felt it necessary to play.

These millennials...always looking for a way out.

exciter

Reaction score

Just a hunch on my part.

Thinking game 3 is the earliest. Not sure he’s going to be all that much of a factor. This team will go as far as 12 personnel and the running game takes them. If Zeke is back to what he was before the PCL last year and they can figure out how to get Pollard consistently involved then they can win some games with what the defense has on paper. If Zeke’s knee is collapsing when he try’s to cut on it like the latter part of last season then this is going to be a long year!

aikemirv

Reaction score
I know Gallup has had some bright spots but is he really "all that" enough to put Dallas over field in the NFC?

:popcorn:
Exactly, he is not. He has had huge games but they are few and far between. I think if you look at last year the offense was better when Cedric was playing rather than when Gallup was playing. They kept the wrong guy, and I like Gallup, I just think Cedric should have been as much if not more of a focus!

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like MG, but it seems the slope is getting a little too slippery towards placing too high of expectations on a WR2 coming off a serious injury.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just a hunch on my part.

They never were not considered a player even before Peters, IMO.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Gallup will be held out until week 4 at the earliest. He’d be at the 8 month mark since surgery at that point. Can’t see them testing it before that.

plymkr

Reaction score
Maybe I'm having pre season optimistic syndrome but I feel if we avoid massive injuries we will make the playoffs. Gallup will help in a big way but I feel the strength of our team is defense and the offense will play complimentary football.

Havic

Reaction score
It really is becoming a league where unless the rookie you drafted is a sure fire HOF its best to let them walk and draft their replacement.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Just a hunch on my part.

Im betting that our X factor on offense quickly becomes Ferguson, I could be delusional, but I see a lot of 12 personal being brought out early and often.
Even as the No. 2 tight end behind Dalton Schultz, Jarwin was averaging over 35 snaps a game on offense in the first half of the 2021 season before getting hurt in Week 8, and the Cowboys' offense struggled in the second half as it got away from using 12 personnel (one RB, two TE) due to a lack of a reliable option behind Schultz. The decision to draft Ferguson in the fourth round of the 2022 draft seems motivated by a desire to get back to that scheme and philosophy, so the rookie could see the field a lot right out of the gate. Jarwin caught nine of 12 targets for 89 yards and a TD over the first four games of last season, and Ferguson could see similar volume as a receiver to begin his career.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Just a hunch on my part.

Would not be shocked to see Gallup play Sunday Night.