The Young Wonder Boy Offensive Genius

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
....and Belichick barely did anything offensively as well. I mean, this game was pretty much just one big play away from us talking about Goff and McVay being the next dynasty.

Cook makes that play in the end zone and it's an entirely different ball game.

It was simply a great defensive game, on both sides. The more experienced coach won. Not really that surprising.

The young offensive "guru" was schooled and his team scored 3 points, yes the Hoodie shut them down in a dominant fashion, the Hoodie is a defensive minded coach and did what he does, no big surprise.

The offensive "guru" also had two weeks to prepare and did not do jack squat in this game on offense, yes he was outcoached.

The Patriots scored 13 points in a defensive struggle but scored the games only TD.

Wade had a great game plan but it was simply not enough.

No shocker here at all!

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
He was coaching against the all time great with two weeks of preparation. Not the Garrett led Cowboys eating the cheese, expecting extensions for a wildcard win.
TWO WEEKS of prep! Doesn’t matter against who.

McVay is a dud. Wade is his usual collapse at the apex of big games. Goff looked horrid. Blame is placed squarely at the loser’s feet!

3 points! Well done Rams.

Verdict

Reaction score
... manages a whole 3 points?

Against that vaunted NE defense?

So much for the latest fad.

Didn't watch it but, the score and stats sing quite a different song to all the worship given McVay.

Yeah. He "outsmarted" himself. It was somewhat predictable.

It was also predictable that at some point Goff would piss the game off of the Patriots got pressure on him.

As a side note Brady looked pretty pedestrian last night.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The truth is that McVay did a really good job overall and got schooled by the best that's ever been.

He got better results than Garrett ever did in the playoffs, by miles.

joseephuss

Reaction score
How many 33 year olds can say they've coached a team to the Superbowl.

Playing against the greatest coach was trial by fire and McVay will just get better, I bet.

Football is a funny game. McVay can indeed get better and still end up achieving less than he did this season. There are so many variables that there is no guarantee he ever coaches in the Superbowl again.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah. He "outsmarted" himself. It was somewhat predictable.

It was also predictable that at some point Goff would piss the game off of the Patriots got pressure on him.

As a side note Brady looked pretty pedestrian last night.
He usually does, when he's under a decent amount of pressure.

conner01

Reaction score
... manages a whole 3 points?

Against that vaunted NE defense?

So much for the latest fad.

Didn't watch it but, the score and stats sing quite a different song to all the worship given McVay.
Well you missed a really bad game
The game was bad, the commercials were bad, the half time show was bad, they even messed up the post game interviews
A young QB vs a defensive genius
The box score didn’t real tell how bad it was

sbark

Reaction score
Well you missed a really bad game
The game was bad, the commercials were bad, the half time show was bad, they even messed up the post game interviews
A young QB vs a defensive genius
The box score didn’t real tell how bad it was
Cooks catches the 2 Td passes....Goff is the next nick foles

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think it's hilarious that McVay mentioned not visiting the white house after a Super Bowl win.
Uh...Ooops.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McVey will learn from his face off with the zen master of defense. But sometimes a coach can only call the plays. Its up to the players to execute. Goff gave the Rams no chance.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
McVay was outcoached, but Goff also missed plenty of chances. Goff was late on throws and reads, inaccurate, didn't see open receivers, poor anticipation, poor pocket presence and took bad sacks. The game was very winnable if Goff didn't completely freeze up, the game was too big for him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The young offensive "guru" was schooled and his team scored 3 points, yes the Hoodie shut them down in a dominant fashion, the Hoodie is a defensive minded coach and did what he does, no big surprise.

The offensive "guru" also had two weeks to prepare and did not do jack squat in this game on offense, yes he was outcoached.

The Patriots scored 13 points in a defensive struggle but scored the games only TD.

Wade had a great game plan but it was simply not enough.

No shocker here at all!

Yeah, he was schooled by the GOAT. It's not like he went up against a scrub...

A lot of you are reaching to make McVay seem overrated - he took a 4 win team to a Super Bowl 2 years into his HC career. He's great, we have carrot top.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Yeah, he was schooled by the GOAT. It's not like he went up against a scrub...

A lot of you are reaching to make McVay seem overrated - he took a 4 win team to a Super Bowl 2 years into his HC career. He's great, we have carrot top.

You can redirect "a lot of you" talk because I think McVay has done a fine job overall but I am not overrating him either.

He was schooled in the game that matters most and is not there yet, the proof is in the pudding.

Nothing to argue, his offense was dominated, 3 points, he has to suck it up buttercup type thing.

You will notice I liked the Sarge post above saying I will take McVay regardless, let us not make stuff up!

Yes, we have carrot top no argument there either.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Huh? Wade was masterful. Held the might Pats to a mere 13 pts. I'm not a Wade fan at all, but he was great.

Wade has proven throughout his career to be a very good defensive coordinator. Unfortunately for him the same can't be said about him as a head coach.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You can redirect "a lot of you" talk because I think McVay has done a fine job overall but I am not overrating him either.

He was schooled in the game that matters most and is not there yet, the proof is in the pudding.

Nothing to argue, his offense was dominated, 3 points, he has to suck it up buttercup type thing.

You will notice I liked the Sarge post above saying I will take McVay regardless, let us not make stuff up!

Yes, we have carrot top no argument there either.

Yes, but again, what is the point here? I don't understand what we are supposed to be taking from this? Sean McVay got his team to the Super Bowl, a young offense got outsmarted by a guy who has been outsmarting the league for decades....

The issue I take here is, this thread is supposed to be laughing at McVay or something. Why? And let's not pretend McVay and Phillips didn't come up with a good gameplan for the defensive side of the ball, they did shut down Brady for most of the game.

The Pats D was somewhat underrated this year and they progressively got better, same way with the Rams too. I believe PFF has Gilmore ranked as the best corner and McCourty is in the top 10. So, that D was no slouch.

If this tells us anything, it would be how valuable the back end of defenses are and why we should do our best to keep someone like Byron Jones around and try our best to get a guy like Earl Thomas in here.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Yes, but again, what is the point here? I don't understand what we are supposed to be taking from this? Sean McVay got his team to the Super Bowl, a young offense got outsmarted by a guy who has been outsmarting the league for decades....

The issue I take here is, this thread is supposed to be laughing at McVay or something. Why? And let's not pretend McVay and Phillips didn't come up with a good gameplan for the defensive side of the ball, they did shut down Brady for most of the game.

The Pats D was somewhat underrated this year and they progressively got better, same way with the Rams too. I believe PFF has Gilmore ranked as the best corner and McCourty is in the top 10. So, that D was no slouch.

If this tells us anything, it would be how valuable the back end of defenses are and why we should do our best to keep someone like Byron Jones around and try our best to get a guy like Earl Thomas in here.

Well, my points stands, McVay is a good young coach but was not good enough in the big game, yet!

Just like you are saying, some are underrating the guy, some were also overrating the same guy, so a corrective is at play on both sides of the equation.

There are those that polarize but not everyone in this thread.

Garrett sucks and yes McVay is much better and given the option I would take McVay all day.

Yes, defense still wins championships and an attacking pass rush and solid back end play will win a title for you.

Yet, you still have to score more points than your opponent.

Yes on ET.