Twitter: There may not be kickoffs in the future

Diehardblues

Reaction score
its not football in its purest form any longer under this new rule.
Football as we’ve become to know it this era.

It comes down to are we willing to make these sacrifices to preserve it from the legal liabilities?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
lol...my daddy played when they had like 1 bar on the helmet...some still had no bars..but your right actually. He did break his nose though..which is prolly why they went to the face masks.
That’s exactly why they added bars.

The hard helmet at the time was a gradual progress to protect the head. It was coaches who began to train players to use it as a weapon.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Football as we’ve become to know it this era.

It comes down to are we willing to make these sacrifices to preserve it from the legal liabilities?
Ask any fan if they give a **** about the owners having to play for player's medical bills. I'm pretty sure its a unanimous no. They are making billions, Billions, and they are crying about millions of dollars to take care of players that make them those billions. It's a disgrace.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ask any fan if they give a **** about the owners having to play for player's medical bills. I'm pretty sure its a unanimous no. They are making billions, Billions, and they are crying about millions of dollars to take care of players that make them those billions. It's a disgrace.
I understand but we can’t just look at this issue thru the eyes of a fan. The business aspect ultimately will decide the fate of the NFL. And if it becomes too great of a liability no owner is going to want to invest or be involved.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I understand but we can’t just look at this issue thru the eyes of a fan. The business aspect ultimately will decide the fate of the NFL. And if it becomes too great of a liability no owner is going to want to invest or be involved.
Makes sense that the old dinosaurs will listen to weasel accountants and be pennywise and dollar foolish

Swanny

Reaction score

I get what the NFL is trying to accomplish. They need to make this game safer to avoid lawsuits from the players union. In my opinion they should do Olympic drug testing to stop these guys from using HGH. They are getting too big and too fast and the brain can't handle the beating they are taking. But since they turn a blind eye to it they got to try other things and unfortunately the kickoff will be eliminated because of it.

XFL I can't wait till 2020

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That's lame.....Kickoff's and punts are a that little added flavor that keeps things interesting. I WANT return teams on the field making games exciting. If I want predictability...I'll go watch bowling tournaments.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Good news for us. The kick return has been worthless for the Cowboys ever since they moved kickoffs to the 35.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Safety? Yet, Thursday night games live on, despite the ridiculous short span in between games to allow their bodies to fully recover.

Gotta get that billion from Fox though.
:thumbup:

CPanther95

Reaction score
Yeah...what about the onside kicks?? Maybe they change the "no kickoffs" rule to not including it in the final 2 minutes of each half. Still, it would suck. :mad:

My guess would be dodge ball rules.

Opponent player stands 10 yards directly in front of the ball. Kicker must hit the player, and it can't be caught. If he catches it, or the ball misses him entirely, it's a failed onside kick.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see it now. Virtual cyborg players and total DFT rosters each week. No owners, no teams, no stadiums, and no Goodell.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Won't be long until it's basically flag football.
True...but if they don’t somehow make the game safer, they may not have a game in the future. The number of parents allowing their kids to play football is diminishing by the year. The NFL has no choice here.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True...but if they don’t somehow make the game safer, they may not have a game in the future. The number of parents allowing their kids to play football is diminishing by the year. The NFL has no choice here.
The reality is setting in and can't be ignored. The lawsuits will do them in. They need to teach and regulate player's skills. I don't know if there is enough theoretical technology to prevent or reduce CTEs.