These Facts Explain Everything

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In the 26 years since the Cowboys last won a divisional playoff game, and last appeared in a conference championship, the following have been tried to get back to playoff glory:
  • 6 different head coaches
  • 7 different offensive coordinators
  • 8 different defensive coordinators
  • Over 70 different assistant coaches
  • 20 different QBs have started regular season games and 3 different QBs have started playoff games in that span.
  • One owner/GM
GMs get credit when you win championships. And they get criticism when they don’t. In fact, in 30 other NFL cities the ones not winning playoff games get fired. But not in Big D where if your name is Jones, there is no accountability for failure.

There’s plenty of blame to spread around tonight. The Players, the coaches…they all sucked today. But the guy MOST responsible- BY DESIGN- will be back again next year. One year older and not any wiser.

But, but, the coach has the power, lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Narcissism is so simple an answer that most observers will not accept it as the explanation. Instead, it makes more sense consciously accepting "ego" as Jones' motivation.

Ego may drive an individual to not try a different method, such as hiring or naming someone else who is qualified as a general manager, to achieve wanted success over five years. Ten years. Perhaps fifteen years tops but 33 years and extremely likely for the duration of his remaining lifetime? That is and has always been much more than simple ego.

Jerry Jones is not just a National Football League franchise owner. He is also his franchise's President. Neither of those titles are enough for him although they give himself every advantage of claiming credit for franchise success. Jones' inner drive is not fueled solely by ego. Everyone has an ego but everyone, not even every other successful individual, remains inflexibly defiant attempting to achieve a singular goal without taking advantage of other alternatives.

Yet another draft looms ahead in a few months. Fans, media and other spectators will witness another Cowboys warroom hand in their picks for another year. Other teams' warrooms will be doing the same thing. Other teams have general managers. I do not know how many but some teams may have self-appointed general managers who are also the owner or co-owner of their franchise, just like Jerry Jones.

Television and webcams like show one difference between the Cowboys warroom and other teams' warrooms, just like they have done for many years. They will show Jerry Jones, sitting center seat, master of his domain.

Other teams' general managers have egos. Other teams' owners have egos. Other teams' owners slash general managers have egos. Do their egos urge them to be seen in the center of their warroom universe as often as a live feed permits it?

No.

Ego is not to blame. However, it is something some people can wrap their minds around and accept as the "real" reason.
I’ve become convinced that the biggest thing driving this ego-maniac to be the absolute face of the franchise for his team is an unbelievable insecurity that he cannot get enough “credit” no matter what. That’s a big time high level psychological mess.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
In the 26 years since the Cowboys last won a divisional playoff game, and last appeared in a conference championship, the following have been tried to get back to playoff glory:
  • 20 different QBs have started regular season games and 3 different QBs have started playoff games in that span.
  • One owner/GM
GMs get credit when you win championships. And they get criticism when they don’t. In fact, in 30 other NFL cities the ones not winning playoff games get fired. But not in Big D where if your name is Jones, there is no accountability for failure.

There’s plenty of blame to spread around tonight. The Players, the coaches…they all sucked today. But the guy MOST responsible- BY DESIGN- will be back again next year. One year older and not any wiser.

Best post of the last 24 hours

dckid

Reaction score
Jerry & Stephen will hold jobs no other NFL team would give them, until the day they die.

They'll fire coaches, sign players, but never hold themselves responsible for the results.

I've gotten used to winning nothing. Do yourselves a favor and join me. It is what it is.
I joined you years ago. I am just great full Jimmy coached this team for 5 years and brought us three SB’s. Culture, culture, culture. It’s us where it starts and it’s where it ends.
Jerry has ruined this team from the core. I really wish Godell had some way to take this team away from Jerry, someone please release his emails or scandals. We need some tech billionare to buy this team and let us modernize.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
  • One owner/GM

I think every Cowboys fan is in agreement on this. We also all know how pointless it is to rue the GM because even when Jerry is gone, nepotism guarantees it stays in the family.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Then why didn't we win a divisional playoff game with Romo? BTW, the Dez catch happened with 4:50 left on the clock and like yesterday, our defense couldn't make critical stops. How about when Romo fumbled the snap in Seattle? There was still about 1:50 on the clock and we had all three timeouts, but what happened? Our defense failed to make a critical stop. Lastly, it matters very much to have a real head coach with authority vs a toothless lion figure head hc, esp come playoff time because no one on our sidelines has any authority since it all resides within the Jones boys cult.

There are always "other" mistakes, its a team game. Its very different to say that Romo didn't make plays to put the team in position to win only to have crazy things happen than to say that one drive all day is enough to win the game. Plenty of questions to go around, yes. But at the most important position, the answers are obvious.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I’ve become convinced that the biggest thing driving this ego-maniac to be the absolute face of the franchise for his team is an unbelievable insecurity that he cannot get enough “credit” no matter what. That’s a big time high level psychological mess.

He's so insecure that he can't even bring himself to put Jimmy Johnson into the ROH. Anyone who thinks he meant what he said at the HOF ceremony is kidding themselves. He was put on the spot on live TV and tapdanced around it, saying what he had to say in the moment.

If he wanted Jimmy in the ROH it would have happened years ago. The last season in Texas Stadium would have been the logical time, given that's where Jimmy coached. It didn't happen, and won't happen, because Jerry can't bear the thought of Jimmy getting a standing ovation in his house.

He'll go to his grave doing things his way, no matter the results. There will always be someone else to fire when his team comes up short, again.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Thank God Jerry is the one making all the decisions oh wait, what?

pitt33

Reaction score
Here’s a question; when is the last time the cowboys won a playoff game they weren’t supposed to? We’ve certainly lost plenty we were supposed to win.
They never advance far enough in the playoffs to be the dog

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Thank God Jerry is the one making all the decisions oh wait, what?

Any authority anyone else in the organization has is afforded to them by Jerry.

Outside of in-game decisions, no one is running around doing things Jerry doesn't want while the old man goes "aw, shucks" and watches it happen.

"Down to the jocks and socks" Jerry is involved.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Any authority anyone else in the organization has is afforded to them by Jerry.

Outside of in-game decisions, no one is running around doing things Jerry doesn't want while the old man goes "aw, shucks" and watches it happen.

"Down to the jocks and socks" Jerry is involved.
100% accurate. We have a hub and spoke wheel based org chart wile 31 other teams have a pyramid structure where authority is delegated from the top down. The Jerry model holds all power in the middle of the wheel so that players, coaches, and scouts all report to Jerry. This model makes a fool of anyone who is our “head coach” because none of the players answer to the hc, they only answer to Jerry.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry & Stephen will hold jobs no other NFL team would give them, until the day they die.

They'll fire coaches, sign players, but never hold themselves responsible for the results.

I've gotten used to winning nothing. Do yourselves a favor and join me. It is what it is.
I get hopeful or even optimistic, but I don't ever think they can't be beat, or even that they can't win for that matter. That's I think the problem some fans have - seeing either all sunshine or even all gloom. Reality is middle of the road is pretty much the norm, with an occasional uptick to a brighter outlook, or dip into despair. That seems to be the standard these days.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I get hopeful or even optimistic, but I don't ever think they can't be beat, or even that they can't win for that matter. That's I think the problem some fans have - seeing either all sunshine or even all gloom. Reality is middle of the road is pretty much the norm, with an occasional uptick to a brighter outlook, or dip into despair. That seems to be the standard these days.

Fair point, but here's where I disagree. Teams don't go 25 years with 3 playoff wins with the same two guys being GM and Director of Player Personnel. They would've been fired 20 years ago after three straight 5-11 seasons.

New decision makers mean a chance for better decisions. These guys have been at it for over a quarter century with next to nothing in terms of postseason success. What logical reason is there to think they're suddenly going to figure it out and put together a championship team?

Sure, we can hope - what else can fans do? But as I said in one of the "believe" threads this season, I'll believe it if/when I see it. Until that happens, if it ever does, I have no good reason to think Jerry and Stephen are capable of building a champion.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think every Cowboys fan is in agreement on this. We also all know how pointless it is to rue the GM because even when Jerry is gone, nepotism guarantees it stays in the family.
That thought ^^^^ about the nepotism of the future is what makes me the closest I’ve ever been to just hanging it up as a C-boys fan. I watch and stay involved because the team I grew up with was committed to winning and played in 5 SBs in a decade. Those days are looooooong gone.

This Jones dominated era is so depressing because if there’s no accountability at the top, there is no accountability anywhere else in this unhealthy organization. It’s hard to find d much hope because the cancer that’s eating this team sits in the owner’s box.

Plankton

Reaction score
People always ***** about Jerry’s player decisions but the real issue has always been his inability to hire good coaches since the SB run.

And if he fires McCarthy, then odds are he’d just find another stooge to replace him.

It's more an unwillingness rather than an inability. Jones does not want a strong coach who could in any way usurp him as the face of the franchise.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
  • One owner/GM

I knew things were going to be bad, when after 1995 superbowl, Jerry ran to the podium, literally grabbed the trophy from Switzer's hands....literally and started talking about the cowboys greatness....a GM and Owner, that doesn't allow his coaches and players bask in the moment.....it has been down hill ever since....

its not going to change....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Wil McClay is the GM, Jones just talks a lot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the MNF pregame, Steve Young just nailed it about the coaching. It is not an empowered locker room, until it is, nothing changes.

Do you really think McC or any of his coaches can discipline any player? Why do you think Gregory was laughing after his stupid plays yesterday. Why was Williams even in the game? These players commit penalties and just go "oh well, I'll try and do better". What do you think empowered coaches would do with those players?

Aren't we a little wacky thinking this can change? It is not going to change, even when he goes toes up.

I go back to when Wade was HC and asked to increase fines because players were coming in late or even missing meetings and not telling the coach. You have to ask yourself why in the hell does Booger say no to his HC? I've bever even heard of anything like that. Think Landry asked Schramm's permission about fines or Johnson asked Booger?

Booger thinks coaches are a dime a dozen and his players are his precious. And he's as nutty and ugly as Gollum. In fact, that spooky looking grandkid of his in that shot last night standing up behind him could play Gollum without makeup. He deserves Booger's money because he got his looks.