CFZ These Former Cowboys are the closest to HOF induction

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know Jason Witten will be selected for the HOF but he’s not eligible until 2025 at the earliest. I would say there are three former Cowboys who are closest to getting in. Here are the guys who as of now have the best chance of HOF induction.
  • DeMarcus Ware- Was a semi-finalist in 2022 but didn’t make it his first yr of eligibility. Had138.5 sacks ranking him 9th all time on the NFL’s sack list. His 117 sacks with the Cowboys are a team record. Only Reggie White reached 100 sacks faster than Ware (96 games to 113). Ware had seven straight seasons with at least 10 sacks and led the league in sacks twice, with 20 in 2008 and 15.5 in 2010. Ware was a nine-time Pro Bowler, four-time first-team All-Pro and was named to the 2000s All-Decade Team. (Btw…in addition to Jimmy, when is D-Ware going in the ROH?)
  • Zach Thomas only played one year in Big D. But he had a great career in Mia where he finished his career w/more tackles than Junior Seau and Brian Urlacher. More sacks than Mike Singletary, Derrick Brooks and Dick Butkus. More 1st Team All Pro selections than Kevin Greene & Andre Tippett. Thomas like Ware made the 2000s All Decade team. Zach Thomas should be in the HOF. In fact, HOF LB Brian Urlacher stated yesterday that it’s past time for Zach Thomas’ induction. He’s been very close several times.
  • Darren Woodson- it’s crazy that Woody isn’t already in. He’s the Cowboys all time leading tackler and has better stats than recent HOF safeties like John Lynch for example. He’s already in the ROH, and when he played was a 4 time First Team All Pro. He has 3 SB rings and played in 16 playoff games a s a Cowboy. He’s got a decent shot to make it in the next few years.
These aren’t the only former Cowboys who are HOF worthy. But these guys are the ones who currently have the best shot at making it soon.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We all know Jason Witten will be selected for the HOF but he’s not eligible until 2025 at the earliest. I would say there are three former Cowboys who are closest to getting in. Here are the guys who as of now have the best chance of HOF induction.
  • DeMarcus Ware- Was a semi-finalist in 2022 but didn’t make it his first yr of eligibility. Had138.5 sacks ranking him 9th all time on the NFL’s sack list. His 117 sacks with the Cowboys are a team record. Only Reggie White reached 100 sacks faster than Ware (96 games to 113). Ware had seven straight seasons with at least 10 sacks and led the league in sacks twice, with 20 in 2008 and 15.5 in 2010. Ware was a nine-time Pro Bowler, four-time first-team All-Pro and was named to the 2000s All-Decade Team. (Btw…in addition to Jimmy, when is D-Ware going in the ROH?)
  • Zach Thomas only played one year in Big D. But he had a great career in Mia where he finished his career w/more tackles than Junior Seau and Brian Urlacher. More sacks than Mike Singletary, Derrick Brooks and Dick Butkus. More 1st Team All Pro selections than Kevin Greene & Andre Tippett. Thomas like Ware made the 2000s All Decade team. Zach Thomas should be in the HOF. In fact, HOF LB Brian Urlacher stated yesterday that it’s past time for Zach Thomas’ induction. He’s been very close several times.
  • Darren Woodson- it’s crazy that Woody isn’t already in. He’s the Cowboys all time leading tackler and has better stats than recent HOF safeties like John Lynch for example. He’s already in the ROH, and when he played was a 4 time First Team All Pro. He has 3 SB rings and played in 16 playoff games a s a Cowboy. He’s got a decent shot to make it in the next few years.
These aren’t the only former Cowboys who are HOF worthy. But these guys are the ones who currently have the best shot at making it soon.
Chuck Howley would like a word with you.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I was surprised Ware didn't go into the HOF on first ballot, but he will maybe next year. Witten should be next in line as a first ballot HOFer. As for ROH, i would expect Ware, Witten and Romo to be going in on the next batch once Jerry sobers up. It's not just based on performance, also you gotta be brown nosed buddies with Jerry.

DandyTom64

Reaction score
I was surprised Ware didn't go into the HOF on first ballot, but he will maybe next year. Witten should be next in line as a first ballot HOFer. As for ROH, i would expect Ware, Witten and Romo to be going in on the next batch once Jerry sobers up. It's not just based on performance, also you gotta be brown nosed buddies with Jerry.
I thought somebody said that was chocolate pudding.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Zach Thomas?
ware?

The HOF used to be exclusive and elite.
Zach Thomas is Miami was pretty elite. 11 years of at least 99 tackles right around 150 tackles in 6 straight seasons. He had just an okay year his last year with Dallas but kinda forgettable.

Ware was a pretty elite pass rusher and should be in for sure.

Chucky Howley, Too Tall Jones, and Harvey Martin not being in is still baffling. Martin was DPOY, Super Bowl MVP, ROTY, one of the best pass rushers in the game pre-LT.

Howley was a 5 time all pro, Super Bowl MVP(granted in a loss) he probably has better credentials than many other great LBs in that era.

Too Tall was more memorable for his size and being so consistent for almost 15 years even with one year where he decided to be a boxer.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
On a related note, I hope Frederick makes it. Not his fault he got sick. Though quitting even though he was still pretty good works against him.

Gale Sayers is in the HOF with few years in the league, he got in anyway because he got hurt a lot, hopefully Freddy will get the same consideration...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Zach Thomas is Miami was pretty elite. 11 years of at least 99 tackles right around 150 tackles in 6 straight seasons. He had just an okay year his last year with Dallas but kinda forgettable.

Ware was a pretty elite pass rusher and should be in for sure.

Chucky Howley, Too Tall Jones, and Harvey Martin not being in is still baffling. Martin was DPOY, Super Bowl MVP, ROTY, one of the best pass rushers in the game pre-LT.

Howley was a 5 time all pro, Super Bowl MVP(granted in a loss) he probably has better credentials than many other great LBs in that era.

Too Tall was more memorable for his size and being so consistent for almost 15 years even with one year where he decided to be a boxer.

The HOF used to be exclusive and elite.
Me opinion is the bar is now set lower to a wider net of candidates who are almost great.
The geezers, Howley, Martin ... they are harder to measure as the game has quickened and athletes today seemed better toned.
I say set a time limit on geezers then move on. Just like time moves on.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Former Cowboy currently on the Dallas Ring of Honor:

• Bob Lilly, DT
  • Don Meredith, QB
  • Don Perkins, RB
  • Chuck Howley, LB
  • Mel Renfro, CB
  • Roger Staubach, QB
  • Lee Roy Jordan, LB
  • Tom Landry, Head Coach
  • Tony Dorsett, RB
  • Randy White, DT
  • Bob Hayes, WR
  • Tex Schramm, GM
  • Cliff Harris, S
  • Rayfield Wright, OT
  • Troy Aikman, QB
  • Michael Irvin, WR
  • Emmitt Smith, RB
  • Drew Pearson, WR
  • Charles Haley, DE
  • Larry Allen, OT
  • Darren Woodson, S
  • Gil Brandt, VP of Player Personnel

...and 4 needing to arrive there right now;

Nate Newton, OT/G, 1986-1998
DeMarcus Ware, LB, 2005-2013
Jason Witten, TE, 2003-2017 & 2019
Deion Sanders, CB, 1995-1999 (An Honorable Mention)

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/06/17/cowboys-players-ring-honor-witten-newton-ware-sanders/4/

phildadon86

Reaction score
Former Cowboy currently on the Dallas Ring of Honor:

• Bob Lilly, DT
  • Don Meredith, QB
  • Don Perkins, RB
  • Chuck Howley, LB
  • Mel Renfro, CB
  • Roger Staubach, QB
  • Lee Roy Jordan, LB
  • Tom Landry, Head Coach
  • Tony Dorsett, RB
  • Randy White, DT
  • Bob Hayes, WR
  • Tex Schramm, GM
  • Cliff Harris, S
  • Rayfield Wright, OT
  • Troy Aikman, QB
  • Michael Irvin, WR
  • Emmitt Smith, RB
  • Drew Pearson, WR
  • Charles Haley, DE
  • Larry Allen, OT
  • Darren Woodson, S
  • Gil Brandt, VP of Player Personnel

...and 4 needing to arrive there right now;

Nate Newton, OT/G, 1986-1998
DeMarcus Ware, LB, 2005-2013
Jason Witten, TE, 2003-2017 & 2019
Deion Sanders, CB, 1995-1999 (An Honorable Mention)

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/06/17/cowboys-players-ring-honor-witten-newton-ware-sanders/4/

The fact that Gil Brandt got there before Jimmy is baffling to me.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I was surprised Ware didn't go into the HOF on first ballot, but he will maybe next year. Witten should be next in line as a first ballot HOFer.

Took Kevin Greene 10 years to get in despite having more sacks (160) than any other OLB in NFL history. Ware ended up with 138.5. I think Ware will get in, but I'm not surprised he wasn't first ballot.

John813

Reaction score
All three should be in.

Ware being in the top ten of all time for sacks, a SB ring(and being a factor in that), DPOY, all pros and probowls to me lock him in at some point.
Thomas would of been in the HOF if the Dolphins could of ever had more success than 1 and dones in the playoffs. To me, he's below Lewis but on the same level as Urlacher.
While Jason Taylor got famous from his total number of sacks, Thomas was the main cog behind that defense in the late 90's early 2000's. Jimmys failure in Miami was to get the offense to a good enough level.

I think Woody got overshadowed by all the talent from the 90's team. Even in his older age the impact he had on the defense was noticeable. Hell, his presence allowed Roy Williams to become a short lived star.