They better not pay Cooper

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If you tag him, he's getting top 5 money anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cooper did have a rough season with some injuries he was also top 8 in yards, top 8 in TD catches, top 6 in plays over 40 yards and yes had a rough season in large part because of knee and foot injuries. Yeah no way I let him go.

Carson

Reaction score
You lock up Cooper and Cobb.

The three of them worked. You have no holes to fill at WR.

We need to spend all of our resources in DT, LB, S, CB.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I like Cooper, huge emphasis on like. I would have no issue franchising him but they better not give this dude top 3 money or even worse make him the highest paid wide out in the league. Sorry to say it, but Cooper is soft as Charming like Kobe once said. I don’t want a guy that takes himself out of games and plays soft when you need him most..hell no.
If not for Coop moving the chains, no doubt this team would have been tied with the 'Skins in the division. Coop is the best route runner in the league. He's not going anywhere.

Coop played injured at the end of the season and it was very obvious. And if anyone is "soft as Charming" it's Kobe for paying off the young lady he had raped.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You lock up Cooper and Cobb.

The three of them worked. You have no holes to fill at WR.

We need to spend all of our resources in DT, LB, S, CB.

I agree. I also think Cobb returns at a fairly low cost. Him and his wife really like Dallas and she recently hired into a Dallas law firm. With McCarthy now in the picture I see Cobb on a final 2 to 3 year deal at a somewhat low cost

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is he soft, if he never misses games even when he's clearly banged up?

BermyStar

Reaction score
After giving up a 1st for him they'd be pretty silly not to sign him unkess his demands are ridiculous.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
He's gonna get paid, most likely by the Cowboys.

He is our best receiver, like it or not, and we need him.

You can use injuries as a reason if you want but the fact remains that Cooper surpassed 100 yards only 4 times out of 16 games in 2019. Of his 1,189 yards in 2019, 373 of those yards ( or 31.4%) came in 2 games (226 against GB in Week 5 and 147 against Minnesota in Week 10....both losses). Also, when looking at those 2 games he had a total of 22 catches, that was 27.8% of his 16 game total of 79 catches.

Cooper always had a reputation of doing damage in a few games then disappearing for numerous game stretches. Clearly that reputation continues based on his 2019 season.

By way of comparison, Michael Gallup also had 4 games of 100-yards receiving plus in 2019.

2019 Top 3 Dallas WR stats:

Amari Cooper 16 games 79 catches 1,189 yards 8 TD's 15.1 YPC 74.3 YPG

Michael Gallup 14 games 66 catches 1,107 yards 6 TD's 16.8 YPC 79.1 YPG

Randall Cobb 15 games 55 catches 828 yards 3 TD's 15.1 YPC 55.2 YPG

So only 13 catches, 82 yards and 2 TD's separate Cooper from Gallup and only 24 catches, 361 yards and 5 TD's separate Cooper with Cobb.

Sorry but I do not see why Dallas would invest big money into Cooper.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What cooper showed is he is not Tyreece hill, Michael thomas, Debo samuel , davante Adam's, Adam thielen, stefon Diggs, DeAndre hopkins, dk Metcalf, et. Al.
I saw Cooper walking down the street and could have sworn he was Tyreek Hill, then after he passed I looked back again and was convinced it was DaVante Adams. So I ran up to him to ask who he was, and up close he looked exactly like Michael Thomas. That's so weird.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What cooper showed is he is not Tyreece hill, Michael thomas, Debo samuel , davante Adam's, Adam thielen, stefon Diggs, DeAndre hopkins, dk Metcalf, et. Al.
What even is this list?

Are you going to, with a straight face, sit here and say that Deebo Samuel and DK Metcalf are better receivers than Amari Cooper?

quickccc

Reaction score
I like Cooper, huge emphasis on like. I would have no issue franchising him but they better not give this dude top 3 money
or even worse make him the highest paid wide out in the league. Sorry to say it, but Cooper is soft as Charming like Kobe once said.
I don’t want a guy that takes himself out of games and plays soft when you need him most..hell no.

and that's why I frankly would have a issue franchising him as not even for a rental year would I make him among the top 3 highest paid WR.
every knock I was hearing on Cooper before we traded for him, he has not did anything to this date that has dispelled them.
1) he struggles vs top elite coverage CBs,
2) he has a case of the dropsies,
3) he will brood and sulk in periods of the game if he feels he's not involved early on.

- and I just did not care for his body language and look of complacency when the game.., the NFC East division,.. and the season was on the line,.. when his QB and his team needed him most.
if that was a Michael Irvin, or steve smith, or on the sideline, on 4th and 8yds inside red zone, you would not be seeing them content with sitting it out. they would have
been screaming and pleading with coaches to get them back in the game.
That competitive alpha dog mentality and passion would have driven them to make matters different. He made it seems like he was Ok with sitting out the rest of the game.

- That being said, what was the issue with Randal Cobb in that same instance and same time ?.. why wasn't Cobb in the game instead of the likes of Vertell Bryant or Tavon Austin ?
that Philly game capitalized it, but I had already started having my doubts about Cooper.

- I used to laugh like hell as to why Gruden would be so dumb to trade away a talent and proven commodity like Cooper.
But after a couple of years and doing the eye-ball test for myself and observing how he brings it to the table, I'm no longer laughing at the Raiders anymore about Cooper.

The Natural

Reaction score
We traded a first for him so we have to pay him big money is smart dumb logic to me. I'd rather put that money into upgrading the defense, there's a number of FA WR's I think that could be had that make more economic sense for this team.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
They can’t keep Dak and not pay Cooper.. That is the problem..

It was a massive screw up not signing Cooper last year..

If Cooper is not playing well then Dak is not worth having.

Id go as far as saying that Cooper is the MVP of this team and as he goes we go.
The real problem was that Zeke got greedy and wanted his money now rather than later. We wouldn't be in this scenario if Zeke just waited. I have no doubt that Cooper and Dak would have been signed by now, with the team in a better financial position to sign Zeke to his big contract when the time came.

The Natural

Reaction score
The real problem was that Zeke got greedy and wanted his money now rather than later. We wouldn't be in this scenario if Zeke just waited. I have no doubt that Cooper and Dak would have been signed by now, with the team in a better financial position to sign Zeke to his big contract when the time came.
That's the business. It's not greedy, the players have to act in their own best interests.

John813

Reaction score
I agree. I also think Cobb returns at a fairly low cost. Him and his wife really like Dallas and she recently hired into a Dallas law firm. With McCarthy now in the picture I see Cobb on a final 2 to 3 year deal at a somewhat low cost

I agree. Think he takes a T. Williams level "discount" to stay since Mike got hired here.

3 year, 15mil contract.
10mil GTD.

quickccc

Reaction score
They can’t keep Dak and not pay Cooper.. That is the problem..

It was a massive screw up not signing Cooper last year..

If Cooper is not playing well then Dak is not worth having.

Id go as far as saying that Cooper is the MVP of this team and as he goes we go.

If Mike McCarthy is showing every indication that he is truly running the show here, and he is determined to have his type of guys that he knows
and trust will compete and counts on to generate a consistent level of competing.. against the best competitors, then I can also see a situation where
McCarthy may move on from Cooper.

Now by McCarthy not personally experiencing Cooper’s mentality and level of competitiveness for himself here, could that play a part ? i dunno.
But if we hear that the Cowboys are opting not to transition-tag Cooper and allow him to walk as a FA, then we'll know that McCarthy and Stephen teamed up to say that they
cannot take that chance on him and a long term lucrative deal, despite already spent a first round pick upon him.

Dak is the kind of QB that needs a true featured No.1 lead WR. He needs an elite lead WR that can be counted to show up on a constant basis.
He cannot be counted upon using two No.2 WRs.

When he is going against the Stephen Gilmore, Lattimore, Travarius White, Darius Slay, top coverage CBs, he needs to his lead WR to compete and beat those top CBs,
not go into a funk and call it a day and wait til next week.

When they give Cooper his new deal – they are counting upon him to compete and bring it every single week, and be the lead alpha dog.
Regardless of whom he is lining, And not just solid at Home.. and disappearing on Road.