Things the Dallas Cowboys must fix in order to win the Super Bowl

zekecowboy

Reaction score
1. Get Moore creative on offense

ACTION ITEM: Kellen Moore

The Cowboys offense has gradually gotten worse over the last two seasons. Last year, they ranked 22nd in the league, averaging 21 points per game. With an improved defense, this team has it in them to be a force, but the offense has to be clicking for that to happen. Dallas flashed great offense at times; six times they scored 27 or more points and four of those instances came during the final six regular-season games. But then they would also throw out a goose egg late in the season against Indianapolis. The offense just wasn’t playing to their potential.

2. Improve in the Red Zone

ACTION ITEM: Doug Nussmeier

The Cowboys had all kinds of problems scoring touchdowns in the red zone last season. After 14 games, they were ranked 31st in the league, converting only 44% of their red zone opportunities into touchdowns. They did improve over their last four games that included their two playoff contests, but the ineptness in the red zone plagued them most of the season. Some of this is attributed to the fact that they have no push in the interior offensive line with Travis Frederick out and rookie Connor Williams starting at left guard.

3. Get Dak to throw downfield
ACTION ITEM: Jon Kitna

Dak Prescott will be the first to tell you that he just wasn’t comfortable at times last season. In fact, he expressed those exact sentiments last week when he was on 105.3 The Fan.

“Guys were doing well. Honestly, I wasn’t comfortable. It wasn’t the same guys at the same positions, as much as it was anything. You look out there and it was a different X than it was a play ago, there was a different Z than there was a play ago. I think what that did is create a little bit of uncertainty for me.”

That’s understandable. Cole Beasley was his most targeted wide receiver last season, but the next five highest targets weren’t even on the team in 2017. One of them didn’t even join the squad until the eighth game of the season last year. Once Amari Cooper arrived, things improved significantly for Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ust-fix-in-order-to-win-the-super-bowl-part-1

GMO415

Reaction score
Stop being a pompous and tell everyone in the NFL, we don't worry about what the other team is doing......we focus on us. Come to find out in December everyone who played the Rams figured they would show two defenses....one at the beginning of the play, when McVay was in Goff's ear, and when McVay couldn't talk to Goff, the opposing team would change their look. This confused Goff and sent him into a tizzy. Dallas comes along in Jan and falls right into LA's hands.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
5. Take the ball away
ACTION ITEM: Kris Richard

They have to stop rolling subpar safeties out there. If you want turnovers, you have to have smart safeties who can cover ground. Once this team finally stops being cheap and lazy with the safety position, you will see more turnovers. It helps the corners because QBs will try to rush some sideline passes to beat the safety. When the safeties are in position, it buys the d-line an extra second to get to the QB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Red zone offense (this is a personnel fix) and better protection form the RT. An upgrade at S would be helpful, too. Maybe a veteran QB2.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Got to have dominate inside players. That has to be the a major priority for this team to handle what we saw from clubs in postseason. We stunk all year with pass blocking up the middle,and Indy and LA showed us how ineffective our d-line is against a good strong front.

Mr_437

Reaction score
1. Kellen Moore calling plays and hopefully designing most of them is the final piece, well done Jerry.

Beaker42

Reaction score

The Cowboys offense has gradually gotten worse over the last two seasons. Last year, they ranked 22nd in the league, averaging 21 points per game. With an improved defense, this team has it in them to be a force, but the offense has to be clicking for that to happen. Dallas flashed great offense at times; six times they scored 27 or more points and four of those instances came during the final six regular-season games. But then they would also throw out a goose egg late in the season against Indianapolis. The offense just wasn’t playing to their potential.

The Cowboys had all kinds of problems scoring touchdowns in the red zone last season. After 14 games, they were ranked 31st in the league, converting only 44% of their red zone opportunities into touchdowns. They did improve over their last four games that included their two playoff contests, but the ineptness in the red zone plagued them most of the season. Some of this is attributed to the fact that they have no push in the interior offensive line with Travis Frederick out and rookie Connor Williams starting at left guard.

Dak Prescott will be the first to tell you that he just wasn’t comfortable at times last season. In fact, he expressed those exact sentiments last week when he was on 105.3 The Fan.

“Guys were doing well. Honestly, I wasn’t comfortable. It wasn’t the same guys at the same positions, as much as it was anything. You look out there and it was a different X than it was a play ago, there was a different Z than there was a play ago. I think what that did is create a little bit of uncertainty for me.”

That’s understandable. Cole Beasley was his most targeted wide receiver last season, but the next five highest targets weren’t even on the team in 2017. One of them didn’t even join the squad until the eighth game of the season last year. Once Amari Cooper arrived, things improved significantly for Prescott.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ust-fix-in-order-to-win-the-super-bowl-part-1
You left out better DT play.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Prescott trying to sell out his coaches for his own lack of talent.

The fact that he would say this to the media shows everything you need to know about the kind of guy he really is.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Prescott trying to sell out his coaches for his own lack of talent.

The fact that he would say this to the media shows everything you need to know about the kind of guy he really is.

Lmao. Y’all are really trying hard to hate on him. He wasn’t even dissing the coaches. Really he was dissing himself by saying “he was confused and couldn’t get used to it.” If any other QB said this, y’all would be on board with it, but because it’s Dak, y’all instantly find a way to complain :facepalm:.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Well, you are a presumptuous lad, aren't you?
Awww, you're nuts!
AND DAK CANT GO DOWNFIELD BECAUSE HE CANT EVEN GO MID RANGE!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Swaim's a good blocker, I believe. Schultz is supposed to be too. Maybe needs a year in the weight room? Jarwin is more of the "recieving TE" type.

Schultz is suppose to be a good blocker, but he really wasn’t as a rookie. Maybe that changes, but it’s important. I’d hedge my bets.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Schultz is suppose to be a good blocker, but he really wasn’t as a rookie. Maybe that changes, but it’s important. I’d hedge my bets.
I did notice quite a bit that when Zeke was getting stuffed/tackled behind LOS, it was often when defenses were sending the house & the TEs (not Swaim) weren't picking them up (when it would've been their assignment).
LG play was pretty dreadful too.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Stop being a pompous and tell everyone in the NFL, we don't worry about what the other team is doing......we focus on us. Come to find out in December everyone who played the Rams figured they would show two defenses....one at the beginning of the play, when McVay was in Goff's ear, and when McVay couldn't talk to Goff, the opposing team would change their look. This confused Goff and sent him into a tizzy. Dallas comes along in Jan and falls right into LA's hands.

Wonder why we didn't catch that the Rams had a system qb? Garrett and the whole coaching staff needs to be fired. Belichek stole McVay candy in the super bowl without even trying. With a Patriots team that is only a shell of it's self!