Things we should be learning from Pats

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I noticed Wade almost pulling out a win against Brady and Belichick in the SB.
+1 Wade
Your original post was Belicheat not accomplishing anything without Brady. Belicheat’s D accomplished a lot vs the Rams 2nd ranked offense in the Super Bowl.
Wade’s D hung in their, but NE totally controlled that game.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Belly is a genius. He's not a great drafter, and he does make personnel mistakes, but it all turns out because of his extreme talent in personnel usage and schemes. He has an amazing ability to get the most out of a player.

You can learn his schemes and such, but you simply cannot teach the ability he has to adapt and even moreso to form his scheme around beating their O. What he did to the Rams O was simply absolutely amazing.
I agree. The Super Bowl this year truly showed Belicheat’s skill as a coach. He is a 10, the next best coach is maybe an 8. I don’t like Belicheat either.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. That game truly showed Belicheat’s skill as a coach. He is a 10, the next best coach is maybe an 8. I don’t like Belicheat either.
Very tough to beat Belly. Offhand, I'd say the best way is simply to beat him at the LOS, overwhelming him w/ superior personnel. That's what the Giants have done twice now. Because you're simply not going to be able to outscheme him for long.

The Rams D did their job in the super bowl, successfully stymieing Brady. It was the Rams O that laid a huge goose egg. There was no running up the middle w/ the behemoths that NE employs. Make everything a lot easier when the middle is stuffed!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Your original post was Belicheat not accomplishing anything without Brady. Belicheat’s D accomplished a lot vs the Rams 2nd ranked offense in the Super Bowl.
No one ever claimed that you don't need a decent QB to win super bowls, and a good/great QB to consistently compete for super bowls.

jrumann59

Reaction score
One thing everyone seems to forget Belly was not Belly when he was HC for the Original Browns and he looked totally inept. Its possible he got smarter when he ran back to the protective wing Bill Parcells offered. Until he did his little secret deal to be the HC of NE he was another failed coordinator that tried to HC.

kskboys

Reaction score
One thing everyone seems to forget Belly was not Belly when he was HC for the Original Browns and he looked totally inept. Its possible he got smarter when he ran back to the protective wing Bill Parcells offered. Until he did his little secret deal to be the HC of NE he was another failed coordinator that tried to HC.
Absolutely. I'd say offhand that most HC's sorta suck when they're first promoted. Landry did.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yeah, we try to copy them, but we try to copy their 2 TE sets and obsession w/ CB's. Here's some of the things that really make them successful.

1. Continuously draft OL and DL.
2. Make sure to have replacements in place for players who will want a huge salary.
3. Do the opposite of what most of the NFL is doing. This allows you to find useful players all over the draft. Belly's 3-4 wasn't everywhere, so he was getting players who fit his system all over the draft. When the NFL switched to the 3-4, Belly went back to the 4-3, so he's still finding useful players all over the draft. He was doing that 2 TE set, so when everyone started switching, he's now going for WR's and is using a pass catching RB profusely.
4. Even if they don't play more than half the time, make sure to have a huge dude for the middle, to put a stop to O's like the Rams. Stop that run up the middle, and it's going to be a bit more difficult.
5. Always have a good stout OL in place. Always.
6. Don't overpay players. It kills you pretty quick.

Anything I missed? I know, I know, it helps tremendously to have a top 5 all time HC and QB, I get that. And that's a huge part of why they win. However, there are other things that can be done.

#1 Dallas is lowly working that way
#2 I think they tried but some of the risks they took have not paid off. I think they thought the 3/4 of their DL this year would have been Taco, Gregory and Irving and they would have let Lawrence go.
#3 Dallas seemed to change course pretty quickly on the 3-4 back tot he 4-3
#4 Scheme and lack of adjustment was more the issue with the Rams and the fact the DC did not care that McVay was making the line calls.
#5 True but it seems that Pats backups becaome starters on their 2nd contract
#6 to a degree, the pats had McGinest, Willfork, and I am sure there are others he will pay for very good to great players but he wont do max deals.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have been trying to be the Patriots for several years now.

They drafted Martellus Bennett while Witten was in his prime to emulate Gronkowski and Hernandez. When that didn't work, they doubled down and drafted Escobar in the 2nd round. They gave up on that and moved to trying not having a WR1. They quickly realized that wasn't working and used a 1st round draft pick to trade for Cooper.

Now it looks like they're going to try an imitation of Michel, White, and Burkhead.

It seems the Cowboys should identify who they are and what they want to be. And then go ahead and be the Cowboys instead of trying to be the Patriots. Being the Patriots works for 1 team.
Don't forget their Welker experiment with Amendola that failed and NE made successful.

How does a team duplicate the ability to use players to their maximum potential?

Has any team, management or coaching wise been able to duplicate what the Patriots do? Even Belichick's coaches can't do it. It's all locked up there in his brain. He just sees the game differently than any other.

The Cowboys can't emulate them, they've already strayed by paying Lawrence and will even further with Prescott and Elliott. Bringing Witten back is not a Belichick move. The only thing the Cowboys have done to emulate the Patriots is with attention to the OL and that was a move orchestrated by Romo's agent. The Pats spent a 1st on a RB too in 18 but they will not make him one of the highest paid, they picked up one just as good in the 3rd in this draft. And have one of the best dual threat backs in the league in James White. Think the move on Pollard was a NE move?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In all fairness, he was powerless with personnel in CLE which is why he balked at the Jets job and took NE where he would have more power. He's one of the few HC's that can pick his own and is allowed to do so.

And in one regard, the Cowboys are like the Patriots, both got lucky on a QB. But I disagree that it's all about Brady and I think Brady knows that as well as he was willing to take a lot less money for his legacy. And every year he's won, he's had a top 10 run game and D.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Give us a young Tom Brady, thats all the copying you need to do. Cant WAIT for Brady to be done and watch that Pats ship sink. Then I want to hear all of you talk about copying the Pats.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Give us a young Tom Brady, thats all the copying you need to do. Cant WAIT for Brady to be done and watch that Pats ship sink. Then I want to hear all of you talk about copying the Pats.
Same could have been said about the 90s cowboys, Dan Marino's Dolphins, Jim Kelly's Bills, Mannings colts, Rodgers packers

ICP

Reaction score
Not the first time they will have overpaid a qb. The last 1 was overpaid.

Lawerence is overpaid so # 6 is definitely out the window but market dictates this. The cap will continue to rise the cowboys just need to take advantage of this while the players are at the age they are

I’m more worried about coaching staff
Yeah, I hear ya

Big_D

Reaction score

Brady didn't need a coach. He could've got drafted by any team and had the same career??? lol What the Pats did is an unprecedented run. There's been many great QBs and none of them were able to maintain a 20 year dynasty like this. Cowboys could've drafted Brady and he'd be run out of the league by now. Specially in 2000 when the team was absolutely pathetic. But I'm sure he would've pulled Jerry and Campo from the ashes.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Don't forget their Welker experiment with Amendola that failed and NE made successful.

How does a team duplicate the ability to use players to their maximum potential?

Has any team, management or coaching wise been able to duplicate what the Patriots do? Even Belichick's coaches can't do it. It's all locked up there in his brain. He just sees the game differently than any other.

The Cowboys can't emulate them, they've already strayed by paying Lawrence and will even further with Prescott and Elliott. Bringing Witten back is not a Belichick move. The only thing the Cowboys have done to emulate the Patriots is with attention to the OL and that was a move orchestrated by Romo's agent. The Pats spent a 1st on a RB too in 18 but they will not make him one of the highest paid, they picked up one just as good in the 3rd in this draft. And have one of the best dual threat backs in the league in James White. Think the move on Pollard was a NE move?

I think the Pollard move could be a Patriots move. And here's a but, and maybe a contradiction to that thought. Patriots don't have a dominate RB. So it's pretty easy decision to sub RBs. Subbing any of Dallas' RBs for Elliott is a riskier proposition.

I also think re-signing Olawale might be equivalent to the Patriots' Develin.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Your original post was Belicheat not accomplishing anything without Brady.
Belicheat’s D accomplished a lot vs the Rams 2nd ranked offense in the Super Bowl.

I suppose technically Belichick didn't accomplish much without Brady, but I think you've got me confused with someone else.

I don't see how NE was "controlling the game" with a 3-3 tie until 7 minutes to go. You can control time of possession, but if you're tied that late you haven't controlled the game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Brady didn't need a coach. He could've got drafted by any team and had the same career??? lol What the Pats did is an unprecedented run. There's been many great QBs and none of them were able to maintain a 20 year dynasty like this. Cowboys could've drafted Brady and he'd be run out of the league by now. Specially in 2000 when the team was absolutely pathetic. But I'm sure he would've pulled Jerry and Campo from the ashes.

Brady needed a coach to give him a chance.

We gave Tony a chance. And Matt Moore. And Dak. We've actually done very well with picking QBs for a while. We should do it more often.

mardwin

Reaction score
7. Have one of the greatest QB's of all time playing on a relatively low salary so you can still sign other talent to fill out your roster.
8. CHEAT.

They did not overpay for Brady. Why should Dallas overpay for Dak?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
to be learning from the pats you have to have a coach that is fully capable we have a average coach the pats have one of the best of all time garrett is pretty much at his ceiling but jerry likes him and is comfortable with him so he keeps him around until the dallas cowboys get a nfl competent head coach and gm they are pretty where they are going to stay regardless of the talent on the field