Think the NFL is happy the Cowboys missed the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take a look at this from this past weekend:

Wild Card Weekend Overnights Roundup:
TEN-KC: 14.7 HH -11% YOY vs. 16.6 (OAK-HOU)
ATL-LAR: 14.9 HH -10% YOY vs. 16.5 (DET-SEA)
BUF-JAX: 17.2 HH -10% YOY vs. 19.2 (MIA-PIT)
CAR-NO: 20.4 HH -21% YOY vs. 25.9 (NYG-GB)

That is almost a 15% drop from 2017, which was a drop from 2016. The bleeding continues and they don't have the answer.

Last year there were 2 playoff games that actually had an increase over 2016, DAL-GB and NE-PIT, and that was it. Not even the SB had an increase. And that game had 1 of the 4 ratings locks, NE. The other 3 are DAL, GB and PIT.

Now, there are various explanations, beginning with the Presidential debates last year but that proved to be false as it did not recover.

Then we get the anthem kneeling but that is avoidable and even the league started doing that by keeping players in the locker room.

So, why are so many turning it off? Wanna hear my reason? Oh, sure you do, don't be that way.

First of all, do you think attention spans have been on the rise or decline? Experts tell us not only on the decline but it is a sharp one. How long does it take to watch a game? 3.5 hours most of the time if we're lucky when games back in the 70's were completed at about 2:45. Now, how much action is there? The exact same amount of action allotted, 4 15 minute quarters but how many stops in today's games?

It takes too long and too much energy to stay involved, it is a passive medium and they're asking viewers to be active. I have a reason for my challenge staying involved but I think it is a chore for "normal" viewers as well. They created the Red Zone Channel for ADD's like me.

The NFL must look within for the reasons why they're losing interest and the Golden Geese, those networks, are nervous and they sure would like the Cowboys and Packers in the playoffs.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

That is almost a 15% drop from 2017, which was a drop from 2016. The bleeding continues and they don't have the answer.

Last year there were 2 playoff games that actually had an increase over 2016, DAL-GB and NE-PIT, and that was it. Not even the SB had an increase. And that game had 1 of the 4 ratings locks, NE. The other 3 are DAL, GB and PIT.

Now, there are various explanations, beginning with the Presidential debates last year but that proved to be false as it did not recover.

Then we get the anthem kneeling but that is avoidable and even the league started doing that by keeping players in the locker room.

So, why are so many turning it off? Wanna hear my reason? Oh, sure you do, don't be that way.

First of all, do you think attention spans have been on the rise or decline? Experts tell us not only on the decline but it is a sharp one. How long does it take to watch a game? 3.5 hours most of the time if we're lucky when games back in the 70's were completed at about 2:45. Now, how much action is there? The exact same amount of action allotted, 4 15 minute quarters but how many stops in today's games?

It takes too long and too much energy to stay involved, it is a passive medium and they're asking viewers to be active. I have a reason for my challenge staying involved but I think it is a chore for "normal" viewers as well. They created the Red Zone Channel for ADD's like me.

The NFL must look within for the reasons why they're losing interest and the Golden Geese, those networks, are nervous and they sure would like the Cowboys and Packers in the playoffs.

Good work there, but as far as the length of the game being an issue, that's all about utilizing the modern tools you have available.
The DVR ... on game day, I usually set it to record the Cowboys game, and I purposely avoid watching the game for about 30 minutes,, fast forward through most of the commercials.
God Bless the DVR.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good work there, but as far as the length of the game being an issue, that's all about utilizing the modern tools you have available.
The DVR ... on game day, I usually set it to record the Cowboys game, and I purposely avoid watching the game for about 30 minutes,, fast forward through most of the commercials.
God Bless the DVR.
That is a good solution but requires action on the part of the viewer and I tried doing that this past season and I would forget I had recorded it. While I am used to watching any TV shows of interest, and that is a small list, utilizing the DVR but not sporting events, that's more work.

phildadon86

Reaction score
God Bless the DVR.
I wish I could not watch the game live, but I have to many friends that would love to message me during that 30 minute span to ruin it for me anyways

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah with shows how laughable it is to read the NFL hates the Cowboys conspiracy theories around here.
Yep, if anything they'd fix the games the other way. I am surprised they didn't give the refs guns when Rodgers returned and allow them to shoot any player getting close to him.

Parity, in theory, sounds like a fine idea until you include the football universe and not just those small markets like JAX that show up sporadically. NFL fans want the "name" teams in it and the Cowboys leads the pack, no pun intended, in that.

They're sweating this JAX-PIT game big time. If they don't get that face off with NE-PIT, this playoff season is going down hard. No DAL or GB already hurts.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish I could not watch the game live, but I have to many friends that would love to message me during that 30 minute span to ruin it for me anyways
No kidding, the texts blow up on mine during DAL and AR games and there's no recording them because I can't avoid knowing up to the minute events, mostly the ones that suck.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That's always the issue, but Ive been doing it for so long that my friends know that I'm not looking at texts or answering calls the first quarter..lol

yimyammer

Reaction score
God Bless the DVR.

That damn thing is gonna kill me.

Its a double edged sword, I never watched more tv than I do now because of it. Prior to the DVR, having to wade through commercials was just too much of a pia but of course I'd still watch the cowboys

don't even get me started about binge watching, I'm slowly becoming one with my couch

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
Yep, if anything they'd fix the games the other way. I am surprised they didn't give the refs guns when Rodgers returned and allow them to shoot any player getting close to him.

Parity, in theory, sounds like a fine idea until you include the football universe and not just those small markets like JAX that show up sporadically. NFL fans want the "name" teams in it and the Cowboys leads the pack, no pun intended, in that.

They're sweating this JAX-PIT game big time. If they don't get that face off with NE-PIT, this playoff season is going down hard. No DAL or GB already hurts.

I’m 99% sure it won’t happen but could you imagine if it’s Jax-Tenn for the AFC Championship? Talk about a snooze fest and probably one of the lowest ratings ever for a championship game.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That damn thing is gonna kill me.

Its a double edged sword, I never watched more tv than I do now because of it. Prior to the DVR, having to wade through commercials was just too much of a pia but of course I'd still watch the cowboys

don't even get me started about binge watching, I'm slowly becoming one with my couch
That very true, now that I think about it, I guess it might have been due to the DVR that I upgraded my couch to a top end Lazy Boy.... :laugh:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Buffalo? Jacksonville? Tennessee? The Rams? Last year's WC weekend included Pittsburgh, Green Bay, the Raiders and Giants. I would expect last year's ratings to be higher, if for no other reason than the popularity of the participants.

It doesn't help that the games take forever to play.

calico

Reaction score
This years crop sucks. I slept thru the games last weekend and watched movies instead.

Not having
Cowboys, packers, giants, Seahawks on the nfc side hurt ratings a lot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Oh yah, and that was all because the Cowboys werent in the playoffs. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.