This Board Needs a Search Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
I think the new format sort of blows. I know; times change and so do things as time goes on. But no search option? That's ridiculous. What is the purpose of not enabling the search option? Im curious.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the new format sort of blows. I know; times change and so do things as time goes on. But no search option? That's ridiculous. What is the purpose of not enabling the search option? Im curious.

Most of the people asking for a search option are people who are wanting to dredge up some old posts from users they do not care for in an effort to insult or belittle them for something said long ago. I plan to add search support, but I doubt it will be during the season. You can use Google as the user above and others have mentioned in the past.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Most of the people asking for a search option are people who are wanting to dredge up some old posts from users they do not care for in an effort to insult or belittle them for something said long ago. I plan to add search support, but I doubt it will be during the season. You can use Google as the user above and others have mentioned in the past.

I was looking for something not related to dredging up the past. I was looking for recorded games.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the new format's awesome.

A search option would be nice, eventually, but this software is a major step up from vBulletin.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
I think the new format's awesome.

A search option would be nice, eventually, but this software is a major step up from vBulletin.

I'm not complaining, but I'm not the only one who didn't care for the new format. Oh, well, I still like the site in any case.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not complaining, but I'm not the only one who didn't care for the new format. Oh, well, I still like the site in any case.

In any group you're going to have some outliers. We all know in any community large enough there are going to be some who are unhappy with any change.

The commentary I saw at the time was overwhelmingly positive, though. The feature set is a lot better, and it's a lot cleaner product overall. I do agree that the search function would be a welcome addition. I'm one of those who likes being able to go back to old posts to see the way that arguments change over time.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
In any group you're going to have some outliers. We all know in any community large enough there are going to be some who are unhappy with any change.

The commentary I saw at the time was overwhelmingly positive, though. The feature set is a lot better, and it's a lot cleaner product overall. I do agree that the search function would be a welcome addition. I'm one of those who likes being able to go back to old posts to see the way that arguments change over time.

I'm not really an "outlier". I'm just merely talking about how things can be improved. I do like the notifications when someone quotes you. That's useful and encourages engaging in dialogue. So I wasn't saying this whole thing just sucks. Just merely stating there is room for improvement, after I've had time to utilize the new board software, etc.

Sampson

Reaction score
I would like the search option also. Not to pull up old posts to prove points. To find topics and discussions about certain coaches, players etc. without having to read through a lot of the other gossip that I'm not interested in. I would happily donate again if the search option came back. I used it a ton. Other than that, I like the way everything else is.

Phoenix

Reaction score
google like this...

site:cowboyszone.com your search term

automated example: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site:cowboyszone.com this board needs

Ha! For the first time, earlier today I was trying to do a forum search, because I thought I had posted a review of a movie (I hadn't). Pulling my hair out trying to find a search option, and failing, and also after having to page through dozens of pages, and KNOWING I must just be somehow missing it somewhere, I went to google and did the site search :)

I agree though, it just boggles my mind that a major forum like this one doesn't have a simple search option.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The reason that I don't have search enabled is because it impacts the site performance considerably, especially during busy periods and since most people performing searches are mainly doing it to point out something someone said in an argument, I don't feel the performance impact that ALL users would incur is justified when Google and other search engines make it very easy to search this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.