This board was right on Linehan

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All you need to know about what the world thought of Linehan's offense and play calling can be summed up by this factoid........ he was fired in January and is STILL unemployed. Plenty of time to catch on somewhere but there are no takers.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't just this board. There was pretty regular and universal condemnation from Linehan in the media and from former players that were in his system. This extended all the way to the booth announcers during the games he coached.

His previous coaching stops didn't seem to think that much of him either. Detroit fans hated him while he was there and constantly said they felt he used Megatron as a crutch.

Honestly, about the only people that seemed to support Linehan was the Cowboys front office.

This board was calling out linehan well before the media and everyone else got on board. It happens a lot. We were right about Taco on draft night. Nobody wanted that guy. On the issues most of us agree, we are usually well ahead of the curve.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Get me permission from the folks in charge and I'd be glad too. They know who they are. And yet they still talk like they know stuff.
There weren't many Linehan supporters after Dak's rookie year. But you're attitude as if the people wrong about Linehan are less knowledgeable about than you are is silly at best. You aren't batting a thousand yourself either Stash.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I was never really big on Linehan but I didn't hate him like others. What really turned me was when some ex players were accurately predicting plays just based on pre-snap formation and personnel group. That's just not acceptable. The 90's Cowboys may have had a simple playbook but they ran almost everything out of the I and regularly used play action, so teams had absolutely no idea what was coming at them until well into the play. Linehan's simplicity was really just stupidity.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The board was also wrong abou Moore when he was hired as QB coach, and many were still anti Moore when he was hired as OC. We are all going to have our opinions about everything, and sometimes we will be right and sometimes we will be wrong.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The board was also wrong abou Moore when he was hired as QB coach, and many were still anti Moore when he was hired as OC. We are all going to have our opinions about everything, and sometimes we will be right and sometimes we will be wrong.
I think a lot thought he’d be a disaster as QB coach and he was. I said at the time he’s better as an analyst/play creator than teaching how to play QB in the NFL.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
It seems like when this board gets a strong concensus we are usually right as a group. Linehan obviously was universally hated by most on this board. He is gone and it appears we were right again.
Just me saying hi.
V
V
V
V
nm1kDgQ.png

I almost cussed thinking about Lineclown.

Fontaine

Reaction score
It seems like when this board gets a strong concensus we are usually right as a group. Linehan obviously was universally hated by most on this board. He is gone and it appears we were right again.

Saying this group is light on anyone is quite the statement.

However, it’s pretty clear Linehan’s offensive scheme blew chunks.

InTheZone

Reaction score
We're two games in, one against a bad team and another against a bad team. We are doing what were supposed to do, which is all we can ask, but what happens when we play the playoff caliber teams?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There weren't many Linehan supporters after Dak's rookie year. But you're attitude as if the people wrong about Linehan are less knowledgeable about than you are is silly at best.

What's "silly" about it? People are quick to talk I like they know it all, and the they run and hide when they're shown to be wrong. Nothing "silly" about accountability.

You aren't batting a thousand yourself either Stash.

I never said I was. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. Unlike those people, I'll own up to being wrong. I don't hide when I'm wrong.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's hard to judge other than the games after Cooper arrived and even then Cooper with no training camp and Gallup as a rookie plus Beasley instead of Cobb were big limitations for any OC.

Prior to Cooper, the WR group was a mess with Hurns as the #1 to start the season.

In previous years, it was:
Dez
TWill
Beasley
Witten

I don't need to tell you how limiting that group was to play design & play calling.
Dez: Terrible route runner and not predictable.

TWill: Struggled with short quick passes that were not in the air long enough but also not a deep ball WR. He was limited to the intermediate area.

Beasley: Good short area WR but not a deep threat or YAC threat.

Witten: Redundant with Beasley in the short area. Played 100% of offensive snaps in 2017. Now playing about half the snaps.

I was not a fan of Linehan but the deck was stacked against him and they were good in 2016 and 2014.

The WR issues were masked by Romo. Witten was good in 2014. In 2016 both Dez and Witten were much better physically than in 2017 when both looked very sluggish.

Also it appears that Stephen Jones has basically removed Garrett from the offensive game planning process now which was not really true previously.

Linehan did bring Kellen Moore and did insist on keeping him either as a backup QB and then QB coach.

It was Linehan and Wade Wilson that wanted to draft Dak after working with him at the Senior Bowl.

It also seemed that Linehan preferred to move on and let Moore take over. (Linehan does get paid this year by the Cowboys). Linehan like Callahan previously grew tired of Garrett.
Good points X.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All you need to know about what the world thought of Linehan's offense and play calling can be summed up by this factoid........ he was fired in January and is STILL unemployed. Plenty of time to catch on somewhere but there are no takers.
He is getting paid by the Cowboys this year.

If Linehan takes a job with another team he does not get paid by the Cowboys. He would be working for free.

chagus

Reaction score
Garrett publicly supports everyone. Privately is a different story.
This makes sense. It looks like Garrrett protects the brand name, you know? Doesnt let internal issues become public. I actually admire that.

Macnalty

Reaction score
i'm a coach, i know coaching and he's plenty creative. we just aren't executing....it's up to the players to execute a good scheme.
I agree we had a fault with our ball delivery system, Kitna and others have helped resolve most of these issues

kskboys

Reaction score
At one point in time, a few years ago, I too believed there was no way guys on a message board could know better than the org. And then I saw it happen. Over and over. And over.

There's some great football minds on this site, just as there were on the old site. They get it right a lot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At one point in time, a few years ago, I too believed there was no way guys on a message board could know better than the org. And then I saw it happen. Over and over. And over.

There's some great football minds on this site, just as there were on the old site. They get it right a lot.

tenor.gif

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak is a night and day different player. You don’t go from 17th best QB to top 5 (granted through 2 weeks against bad teams) just on scheme. That’s largely because of his mechanics and a better QB coach teaching him how to read defenses quicker. Kellen helps but not as big as Kitna IMO

Gallup is a night and day different player as he’s more confident in asking why the scheme is the way it is rather than blindly follow instructions without knowing why.

Fredericks back. OL has only allowed 6 pressures through 2 weeks instead of 6 sacks through zero weeks. That’s just as big if not bigger than Daks mechanics.

RPOs and fun routes are cool but last year Dak doesn’t hit that post to Smith, a 50 yard dime between the numbers. That’s when I knew this is a different QB
Of course you do. Not the first time it's happened.

And it's not just on scheme, that's just a huge part of it. Several other factors also.

Status
Not open for further replies.