This Draft seems to be about mentality

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jkyle, May 5, 2022.

1. Jkyle

Jkyle Well-Known Member

486 Messages
    1,594 Likes Received
    One thing about this Draft for the Cowboys seems to be about selecting players with a certain type of mean/aggressive mentality. The Jones' and Will McClay mentioned that the were looking to change the mentality of the players due to how they were bullied in the second half of the season and especially in the SF playoff game.

2. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

10,735 Messages
    13,297 Likes Received
    A defense has to maintain a high level of play, for more than three years, in order for me to put them among the all time greats. Now, when thinking about these all time great defenses, how many of them were loaded with big and physical players?

The NFL history of all time great defenses should have been taught the Cowboys that big and physical was the way to go.

3. AyeAtey

AyeAtey Well-Known Member

1,239 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Crucial part of the game.

4. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

13,186 Messages
    8,548 Likes Received
    Dawgs….

5. Jarntt

Jarntt Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    Hot Boyz need not apply...

Cowboy06, SlammedZero, J-man and 7 others like this.
  6. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

42,666 Messages
    21,060 Likes Received
    When you keep losing to physical teams in crunch games that will cause you to want to change your mentality. We have to get tougher in the trenches. We’re not going to get very far losing battles in the trenches. Losing the battle in the trenches has been a sad theme for the Cowboys.

SlammedZero, J_Allen and Coogiguy03 like this.
  7. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,395 Messages
    21,521 Likes Received
    I felt the same last year
    Guys who are big effort guys
    I like the idea of effort guys because they obviously love the game.

Techsass and Runwildboys like this.
  8. youngjerryjones

youngjerryjones Well-Known Member

524 Messages
    789 Likes Received
    I think hotboyz is finally done... thank god lol

9. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    59,630 Messages
    68,830 Likes Received
    Been needing players with an attitude for years. Seems we are getting a few over the last few drafts.

10. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    59,630 Messages
    68,830 Likes Received
    From Hot Boyz to Micah's Monsters.

BourbonBalz and Ranching like this.
  11. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

22,130 Messages
    21,085 Likes Received
    Are you saying we were Charmin soft last year?
    Glad we are addressing this in the draft.

Ranching likes this.
  12. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

4,513 Messages
    1,953 Likes Received
    Sure was. Testing the mentality of the fans.

They failed. All off season. You're welcome. Salty out.

13. Pass2Run

Pass2Run Well-Known Member

2,898 Messages
    3,539 Likes Received
    Good point!

I believe that's exactly why they passed on Jermaine Johnson.

People were tired of the talented guys who under-performed the baggage they brought.

There's a long list of players who were seen as great draft picks, talent-wise, but always brought some sort of prima donna schtick that usually negated their talent.

And . . . for example, to highlight the OP's point, Jermaine Johnson is known to be sort of a narcissist, who's father is overbearing and overly involved, who couldn't cut the minimum academic requirements to play anywhere other than Junior College.

Still, to this day, he's known for loving himself, being a ham, loving attention, and thinks his crap doesn't stink, because of his dad. At least in this regard.

That's actually in his scouting report, by the way.

And that's why so many teams passed on the "top 10" talent.

I know some may bring up Sam Williams. But his interviews, and reports on him, are that he likely understands the gravity of his actions and attitude and that he's trying to put it all behind him, and put his best foot forward.

We also didn't burn a first rounder on WIlliams. We went with a guy with excellent character traits.

Historically, it's not the flashiest teams who're winning in the playoffs. It's the most disciplined, functioning, well-coached teams that end up making it through to the end.

So, yeah, I believe you are right. And I dig this strategy, for a change.

The people overly-criticizing would rather see us doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That's been a knock on Jerry for decades now. It took years and years of getting burned time after time, again and again, but he's finally doing something different.. for a change.

14. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

30,466 Messages
    36,803 Likes Received
    physicality.
    every play.
    we got pushed around last season.
    now.
    lets start pushing back.

BourbonBalz and nobody like this.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    73,291 Messages
    154,173 Likes Received
    If you don't want to be bullied you upgrade your line play on both sides of the ball. I don't care what attitude they have. I care about talent.

Either Big John Studd is the truth or that defense will still get bullied because their DTs suck.

Bobhaze and cheyennes like this.
  16. BourbonBalz

BourbonBalz Star4Ever

11,737 Messages
    7,553 Likes Received
    Many so-called lesser talented players are currently residing in the HOF. Yes, you’ve got to have talent, but heart, determination, and aggressiveness are also very important and shouldn’t be discounted.

MistyAnn likes this.
  17. Risen Star

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    73,291 Messages
    154,173 Likes Received
    I literally don't know a single player in the HOF who didn't have great talent.

I don't care what attitude this group of DTs show up with. They suck and will get pushed around by any quality opponent.

18. BourbonBalz

BourbonBalz Star4Ever

11,737 Messages
    7,553 Likes Received
    I’ll throw out two just off the top of my head. Jack Lambert and Drew Pearson. Neither were that big and neither had blazing speed. Don’t get me wrong, they obviously had talent but neither was Uber talented. Lambert loved the game and played with great heart, determination, and a nasty attitude. That’s what made him. Same with Drew. There were many receivers that had greater athleticism and natural ability, but he just had IT, whatever IT really is. There are others that fit the mold. Desire can get a player to greater heights than talent alone. My $.02 for what it’s worth.

19. Risen Star

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    73,291 Messages
    154,173 Likes Received
    Yeah Lambert and Pearson lacked talent. They were all attitude.

20. BourbonBalz

BourbonBalz Star4Ever

11,737 Messages
    7,553 Likes Received
    You didn’t even read the post. That’s obvious. Either that or you just want to be your contrarian self.