This front office needs to address the 2 RB position

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
on
Still missing my point

Its not an “i quit” mentality. Zeke is our best player. That goes without saying. He drives our offense. When he is shut down, we rarely win. Its like Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. When/IF he gets hurt, his team crumbles.

Worrying about a player to fill in, IF Zeke gets hurt is weird imo, considering all the other needs of this team right now. Here are the more concerning things about this roster right now:

1. RDE (Gregory replacement)

2. Saftey- Jeff Heath should not be starting for this team anymore. I can argue this is our biggest need

3. TE

4. DT

5. LB

All more important than a backup RB right now. We basically need starters or an upgrade at all of these positions. We have no first round pick either.

I get what youre saying, but its like me obsession over getting a better backup QB in here. While yes, in theory we do need someone better than Rush to backup Dak, in case he gets injured. But at the same time, Dak is 25, and isnt injury prone. If we were talking about Romo or Murray, id understand your concern more, because they have a history of injuries.

You are fabricating an argument out of the wind. Where did I say we should focus so much on the backup RB situation that we ignore upgrades at starting positions? To act as if getting a quality backup RB means we are handcuffed from upgrading any other position is nonsense, and I even specifically said a couple of times that is not what I am advocating.

Every team looks at overall needs and tries to deal with them. They don't just make a list and go strictly in order, refusing to address any need at all until the one at the top is dealt with.

You are also heavily relying on the Cowboys 2017 team to prop up your argument that a quality back up RB isn't important, even though that season actually proved that having a quality backup RB can keep a team from sinking when the starter goes down. The Cowboys were never competitive that whole season, even with Zeke, but in a season like last year, where it was a tighter, more competitive race for the division, if Zeke were out for a few games that backup RB may well have made the difference between falling out of the race or staying competitive.

You're whole argument is predicated on not needing strong backups because the player ahead of them is young and strong, but the reality is players do get hurt, and things happen. No business or team succeeds by not preparing for contingencies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Still missing my point

Its not an “i quit” mentality. Zeke is our best player. That goes without saying. He drives our offense. When he is shut down, we rarely win. Its like Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. When/IF he gets hurt, his team crumbles.

Worrying about a player to fill in, IF Zeke gets hurt is weird imo, considering all the other needs of this team right now. Here are the more concerning things about this roster right now:

2. Saftey- Jeff Heath should not be starting for this team anymore. I can argue this is our biggest need

3. TE

4. DT

5. LB

All more important than a backup RB right now. We basically need starters or an upgrade at all of these positions. We have no first round pick either.

I get what youre saying, but its like me obsession over getting a better backup QB in here. While yes, in theory we do need someone better than Rush to backup Dak, in case he gets injured. But at the same time, Dak is 25, and isnt injury prone. If we were talking about Romo or Murray, id understand your concern more, because they have a history of injuries.

Martin is our best player IMO and I don't think there is much question about it but I do agree, RB is important because it's who we are. It causes real problems if he goes down and it gives him way too much leverage in a negotiation. We made that mistake with Emmitt. We should not repeat it with Zeke IMO.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
CJ Anderson. Heck he torched us as a Bronco and then torched us as a Ram. At the very least if he played for us he wouldn't be torching us. Different RB style than Zeke altogether

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Zeke is the most important piece on offense (besides Prescott, but it's close). He plays the most physical position in the game and we've been fortunate to have him stay healthy for his first three seasons in the league. However, when he missed time due to the suspension we all saw how this offense looked.

But, we can't put all of our chips on Zeke alone. He needs to have a strong backup, given this is a run first offense and will more than likely remain that way under new OC Kellen Moore.

If Zeke goes down so does the rest of this team. He's basically near the importance level of an average QB and that says a lot about Zeke and his abilities as a runner.

The front office needs to spend either a 2nd, 3rd round pick on a premium running back. At the very least, a trade up in the 4th to grab a quality runner.

I don't want Rod Smith or that other scrub as the #2 back on the roster this coming season.

Big heck no on a 2'nd rounder. Slightly less hell no on a 3'rd rounder

Verdict

Reaction score
There’s no denying taking our best player at any position out of the lineup makes that position a higher priority in the draft. It’s still a position you can easily fill from the compensatory 4th on down.

But then, I also would have filled Zeke’s job with a 2nd or 3rd rounder. It was a waste to spend the draft capital we did on the RB position when good players can be found throughout the top 100 picks in any given draft.

I usually think along the same lines as you do, but I guess we see this one slightly differently. Zeke was the right pick at #4 in the same way that we selected a guard (Zac Martin) higher then we normally would value that position.

You have to take the best player on your board when you draft if that player is head and shoulders better than the other players or you should be trading back.

Zeke is the most valuable player on this team right now. He is a difference maker. He can also be re-signed at a much cheaper price than a QB or DE. That's good cap news.

We may indeed be able to draft a quality back in the 4th round, (or even later) but keep in mind we used a 5th on the underwear thief and look how that turned out.

I'm just sayin'.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I usually think along the same lines as you do, but I guess we see this one slightly differently. Zeke was the right pick at #4 in the same way that we selected a guard (Zac Martin) higher then we normally would value that position.

You have to take the best player on your board when you draft if that player is head and shoulders better than the other players or you should be trading back.

Zeke is the most valuable player on this team right now. He is a difference maker. He can also be re-signed at a much cheaper price than a QB or DE. That's good cap news.

We may indeed be able to draft a quality back in the 4th round, (or even later) but keep in mind we used a 5th on the underwear thief and look how that turned out.

I'm just sayin'.

He’s a great RB, no doubt. Bosa was my pick, had he gotten past SD. Then Ramsey. Then the right trade down. Then Zeke.

We’re going to have to extend him for more than a RB is worth, and that second contract will cover the point where he likely starts breaking down. QBs and elite DEs cost what they cost, because they’re scarce and impact the passing game so directly. RBs aren’t scarce and have a limited impact on the passing game, so overcommitting to one actually hurts you with the cap.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He’s a great RB, no doubt. Bosa was my pick, had he gotten past SD. Then Ramsey. Then the right trade down. Then Zeke.

We’re going to have to extend him for more than a RB is worth, and that second contract will cover the point where he likely starts breaking down. QBs and elite DEs cost what they cost, because they’re scarce and impact the passing game so directly. RBs aren’t scarce and have a limited impact on the passing game, so overcommitting to one actually hurts you with the cap.
How is this still something that needs to be said. HOW?!?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend a 2nd or 3rd this year on a RB. It doesn't look to be a strong RB class at the top of the draft and there will be much better value at other positions in the 2nd and 3rd. Wait to round 4+.

In free agency Yeldon, Crowell, and Powell could all be good options that are solid runners and also offer pass catching ability. Would obviously depend on the contract, but all are very capable backs.

Verdict

Reaction score

Without Zeke we lose 4 more games last year. I'm not sure Tank has that sort of impact.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Still missing my point

3. TE

4. DT

5. LB

LB is pretty much covered, not sure why that a concern, our LEE, Jaylon, and LVE starting rotations with the backups already resigned, losing Wilson isnt even on the radar..

but at the moment the rest of your list is pretty solid and in a good order..its good we have Quinn and Berry on our radar plus the draft coming up..maybe the speculation and wasted server space on concerns can be saved for say a roster moving into TC would be better served , we will have strong idea of final 53 plus PS by then..

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I am fairly confident they will look in the draft. They can get a guy like Trayveon Williams, David Montgomery or Devine Ozigbo at some stage.
They have Mike Weber from Ohio St for a visit

Love those Buckeyes

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
LB is pretty much covered, not sure why that a concern, our LEE, Jaylon, and LVE starting rotations with the backups already resigned, losing Wilson isnt even on the radar..

but at the moment the rest of your list is pretty solid and in a good order..its good we have Quinn and Berry on our radar plus the draft coming up..maybe the speculation and wasted server space on concerns can be saved for say a roster moving into TC would be better served , we will have strong idea of final 53 plus PS by then..
I listed LB because Lee is always injured