This game was over before final drive

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He’s not good enough to build around though. Trying to build around Dak is a waste of time.

Our best bet is to rebuild right now and hopefully have a solid foundation in place for the next QB when Daks contract is up.
Well that’s at least 3 years away. You don’t start building for the unknown in 2025.

Aven8

Reaction score
We had plenty of chances on offense and we couldn’t get it done. The D at least held them to field goals quite a bit. The offense is the problem. Penalties too.

Cmac

Reaction score
Some fans want to blame a failed last gasp effort but this game was lost well before this .

We can begin with the 49ers final drive where we knew the defense had to make stop allowing us enough time for a legit shot. With over 7 minutes left when SF took over there was time for a couple more possessions if needed .

But as usual our defense can’t make a stop when the game is on the line . And our rushing defense continue to be exposed. Not to mention Boneheaded penalties without discipline .

14 penalties which were drive killers and in the end a game killer.

And a top paid RB who had 31 yards on 12 carries. For a team that went 11-0 when we rush for 100 yards or more our running game was nonexistent for much of our second half of season and again in this playoff game. And our OL couldn’t hold up with only 4 rushing most of the game.

The matchups and concerns coming in turned out to hold true. We couldn’t protect against their front four. Their defense shut down our running game. And we couldn’t slow their running game. They out gained us 166-77 yards on the ground.

When our defense isn’t creating turnovers they give up tons of yardage and can’t make crucial stops. 49ers scored on their first 4 possessions and we didn’t force a punt until 2nd half.

It’s a similar story and the same blueprint remains out there if you have a good enough defense to execute . Stop our running game and pressure. And an undisciplined and often rattled OL leads league in penalties which puts us behind the chains killing drives .

We roll against lesser teams which creates a perception we are a great offense. And we struggle against better defenses. We still run up numbers when we are making a valiant comeback but it’s not a recipe for success when these dramatic comebacks are needed to overcome all of the weaknesses.

Left some questions on the table
How about a QB missing receivers?
How about hyped WR on a milk carton?
How about OC granting TPollard minimal play in the game plan?
How about an OC spooked?
How about an All-Pro CB not making plays and reluctant to tackle?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
No need to keep banging that drum, think even most supporters of Dak now finally realize what he truly is.
Oh, best believe I'm going to bang that drum.

I was insulted and ridiculed for months because I thought Dak wasn't a good QB. I was told "you don't know football" all the time.

Just because I've been proven right doesn't change the way I was treated by a lot of people on here.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Some fans want to blame a failed last gasp effort but this game was lost well before this .

We can begin with the 49ers final drive where we knew the defense had to make stop allowing us enough time for a legit shot. With over 7 minutes left when SF took over there was time for a couple more possessions if needed .

But as usual our defense can’t make a stop when the game is on the line . And our rushing defense continue to be exposed. Not to mention Boneheaded penalties without discipline .

14 penalties which were drive killers and in the end a game killer.

And a top paid RB who had 31 yards on 12 carries. For a team that went 11-0 when we rush for 100 yards or more our running game was nonexistent for much of our second half of season and again in this playoff game. And our OL couldn’t hold up with only 4 rushing most of the game.

The matchups and concerns coming in turned out to hold true. We couldn’t protect against their front four. Their defense shut down our running game. And we couldn’t slow their running game. They out gained us 166-77 yards on the ground.

When our defense isn’t creating turnovers they give up tons of yardage and can’t make crucial stops. 49ers scored on their first 4 possessions and we didn’t force a punt until 2nd half.

It’s a similar story and the same blueprint remains out there if you have a good enough defense to execute . Stop our running game and pressure. And an undisciplined and often rattled OL leads league in penalties which puts us behind the chains killing drives .

We roll against lesser teams which creates a perception we are a great offense. And we struggle against better defenses. We still run up numbers when we are making a valiant comeback but it’s not a recipe for success when these dramatic comebacks are needed to overcome all of the weaknesses.
This is the answer. We had a prayer last shot. But we were far from the better and did not deserve to win. This was the 2007 team all over again.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Oh, best believe I'm going to bang that drum.

I was insulted and ridiculed for months because I thought Dak wasn't a good QB. I was told "you don't know football" all the time.

Just because I've been proven right doesn't change the way I was treated by a lot of people on here.
ya, well keep banging that drum hombre, it goes on deaf ears most of the time.
Ive been ridiculed, many have been ridiculed here for being right,, but it falls on deaf ears most of the time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
ya, well keep banging that drum hombre, it goes on deaf ears most of the time.
Ive been ridiculed, many have been ridiculed here for being right,, but it falls on deaf ears most of the time.
Dak is a good QB. Just not Elite or worthy of the hype or contract. He’s more of a bus driver who needs strong supporting cast. If he was sold as such the story would be much different.

And when compared to our other top paid stars like Elliott, Cooper , Lawrence and our OL not to mention star rookie contract all pros who didn’t show up either yesterday Dak wasn’t the weakest link while not being enough to overcome.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is the answer. We had a prayer last shot. But we were far from the better and did not deserve to win. This was the 2007 team all over again.
Right

We were beat in all facets of the game. Our big stars didn’t show up. And the matchups coming which were concerns held up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We had plenty of chances on offense and we couldn’t get it done. The D at least held them to field goals quite a bit. The offense is the problem. Penalties too.
Our stars on both sides of the ball didn’t show up.

Defensively you have to make stops . SF wasn’t forced to punt until 2nd half. The fact their drives were stalled into FG kept us in the game . And our rushing defense continues to be a problem.

Yes, we need to score more than 17 points. But this has been a recurring issue when we face top defenses who stop our running game and put pressure on with only 4.

strongarmqb

Reaction score
They got punched in the mouth first possession and that was the story of the game......
I couldn’t agree more…. When they marched down the field and basically filming a “how to score easily on the first possession” film- I knew the game was over

Why oh why oh why can we not have a coaching staff that looks at film and prepares the team for what is coming???

JJHLH1

Reaction score
It was evident on the first series that we weren’t properly prepared and that it was going to be a long day.

Gregory’s pre-snap penalty on the opening play from scrimmage set the tone for the entire game.

cmoney23

Reaction score

14 penalties which were drive killers and in the end a game killer./

Completely agree with this part of your post. The last play/drive is going to get a lot of the pub... But this game was lost before then.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
After going 3 and out on our first drive, I knew the script was written for this game. We've seen it over and over and over again.

Mentally weak, undisciplined, poorly coached ... and of course, our maverick owner who is still trying to show the NFL he can do it "his" way.

I told my son the same, I said the game is over

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Like off of title alone. Poor QB play, lines got pushed around, terrible coaching all around. Most penalized team what did you guys expect?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
The game was over when we got down 10-0 and needed Dak’s arm to win us the game.

Romo was echoing what I’ve been saying all year about Dak and how crucial it is for us to run the ball and how we are not good when we don’t.

If you rely on the 40 million dollar mans arm to win you a football game you’re in trouble.
And relying on a gimpy back with a brace with no acceleration was the recipe for the lack of a good passing attack? Why was Tony Pollard only getting 4 carries this game? Was he hurt beyond what we were told? We had a healthy Corey Clement on the bench. It's the playoffs you need to shoot all of your ammo not leave the store room with ammo in it. Moore did not get creative with his play calling as much as I would have thought he would. Job interviews were taking up time for prepping the game plan I guess. Hate that process, wrong time and place to distract a coach on a play off team. CeeDee Lamb was a non factor. I'm ready to move on on a few coaches here with Philbin being my number one that needs to hit I30 and never look back. McCarthy can go with his buddy too. Need to take a hard look at DQ and Moore and decide to keep or let walk. Team on both sides had too many bonehead penalties. The oline isn't elite they are average. Needs are center and left guard and right tackle. And a new oline coach who can teach these guys how to be road graders they were known for a few years ago. Run sets up the pass and when you run the ball well you can also pass it well. Gonna be long off season as I only watch one sport after ditching baseball during their last strike year. A few holes and changes on defense needed as well but this is long enough now.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dak is a good QB. Just not Elite or worthy of the hype or contract. He’s more of a bus driver who needs strong supporting cast. If he was sold as such the story would be much different.

And when compared to our other top paid stars like Elliott, Cooper , Lawrence and our OL not to mention star rookie contract all pros who didn’t show up either yesterday Dak wasn’t the weakest link while not being enough to overcome.
I hear you, and we can no longer continue to surround Dak with top notch talent.
Not trying to be the Debby downer, but this ship will continue to sink because of Daks deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear you, and we can no longer continue to surround Dak with top notch talent.
Not trying to be the Debby downer, but this ship will continue to sink because of Daks deal.
Not only his deal but other over hyped and over paid talent. It’s a virus throughout this dysfunctional organization.

Dak wasn’t the only star to under perform this game.

kskboys

Reaction score

Dak was by far the weakest link. Not sure there's a close 2nd.